Safety gear I just bought...

Dingo

5 hours ago, Jase Shepperd said:

GT Buggy is fine.. 

Actually got pulled straight up and out of buggy. I went up and buggy went forward.

was putting kite at 12 o'clock to do a turn when a big gust of wind hit me and sent me up. Happened so quick that I didn't have time to do anything but say " shit I'm a long way up " ??

Bloody hell mate I hope you recover quickly and it doesn't cause any issues later on in life.

i don't think there is anything you can do in a situation like that. In theory you can redirect and land smoothly, but in reality nobody is going to think that quickly.

Thats why I'm a chicken and tend to fly a kite size for the gusts rather then the average wind speed. I'm never going to get top speeds, but I'm reducing my risk dramatically. Although the dislocated shoulders and broken bones are proof I haven't eliminated all the risks.

as for the AQR, one problem I can see is that when you begin to be lofted and the quick release activates, you are still holding on to the handles/bar. So you need to train yourself to let go rather then death grip or only fly with your finger tips. Or you are still going to superman out of the buggy. 

Turns out after hunting through my gear I have 2 harnesses along with the one that I used. :blush:

$70 + post for the good one. (at the front)

IMG_0360.thumb.jpg.71b5b35037c21bc61ad5f64df49ceb10.jpg

One has a bit of wear (By the Ozone label rh side) and a few rust stains from sitting on the steel eyelet in the bottom of a Sysmic buggy seat. So only $50 + post.

IMG_0371.thumb.jpg.dffb0b7574f192613e5c734c650ec03d.jpg

2 hours ago, plummet said:

Seems a bit over the top. I roll a hiwain shirt and mountain bike helmet with safety crocs. But I know you aussies like to armour up at every opportunity. 

@plummet - I get it. The deal with the body Armour is preparing for what might happen, not just for what will likely happen. I for one am darn glad I wore my girlie-man gear last summer....

On 20.8.2017 at 3:21 PM, Chook said:

Turns out after hunting through my gear I have 2 harnesses along with the one that I used. :blush:

$70 + post for the good one. (at the front)

One has a bit of wear (By the Ozone label rh side) and a few rust stains from sitting on the steel eyelet in the bottom of a Sysmic buggy seat. So only $50 + post.

If your not in a hurry to sell I will get back to you on the one for $50. Need to safe up a bit. Thanks :mosking:

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:22 PM, Kamikuza said:

When I land board, knee pads and elbow guards are the minimum. But then, I was on hard packed dirt surface that was like sand paper to slide over, not soft sand like uncle plum's spot...

Do you buggy guys use the hot links that some Yanks do?

You haven't seen my spot then. There's rocks and boulders and drift wood to hit only a few meters down wind. I used to wear armour. Then I got to a point where I didn't crash that often.  If I do crash I usually can save it enough so there isn't much harm. So armour became less necessary. 

Also I do sillier things than landkiting. I tend to armour up more when doing downhill mountain biking......

An extreme hawian shirt required!

What I find very amusing is some of the discussions this thread has kicked off.

I personally have next to no experience with power kiting but I have played enough silly sports in my live (Ice Hockey, Gridiron, Extrem Skiing, DH MTB,...) to know that it can never hurt to wear protection when in danger (even the remotest) of hiting something. Regardless of whether that "someting" is the ground, an object or even another body.

If I look a bit silly in body armor and helmet ... but by wearing them avoid any strains, sprains, breaks, scuffs or bruises I´ve come out the winner and can enjoy kiting the next day as well. ;)

1 minute ago, mik333 said:

Ingo, regarding kite control setups and safety gear, you can check out the different approaches used by each buggier at Sandy. 

So, don't purchase any more goodies until you try out ideas that may suit your flying style.

Michael

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the good advice Micheal. :blush: