Lake George - Canberra

Landslide

13 hours ago, BobM said:

Right now, the lake bed is very moist and the mud will coat your wheels until there is so much mud, the wheels won't turn.

On days after rain, you might be able to kite-surf on it.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_George_(New_South_Wales) for a discussion and note that September 2016 the lake was at its highest for some years

Kite surf, hmm maybe. The biggest thing I would be worried about are the bits just under the surface not readily visible that could do serious harm to you like fence posts and the barbed wire attached to those fence posts. I personally never kited there but passed by numereous times to and from Canberra.

• 3 weeks later...

Kitebuggied Lake George today! ? Very happy to say that it is usable again. The water has receeded quite a bit, leaving plenty of space for a run.

You need to head out a few hundred metres from the southern rest stop to where the brighter green vegetation can be seen. When you get there you'll find a dry, cracked dirt crust with a covering of light weeds. It all looks like grass from the highway, but isn't. There are patches of slightly thicker grass around the place, but there is still a pretty good sized pan of smoother ground available. I found that closer to the highway it is quite bumpy so I headed out a bit. The gates are locked for cars, but walking with the buggy in tow isn't too onerous. 

Best winds are south to nor'east for the highway side as there is much less turbulence than with Westerlies. This time of year is good for the afternoon 'seabreeze' that kicks in from the east reasonably frequently, arriving mid to late arvo on days with the right conditions. 

It isn't as smooth as a beach, but you can't beat the feeling of having all of that space to play in!

IMG_20170226_151337.jpg

Hi @Tiger37, yep, I'm a local. Happy to meet up for a kitebuggy sometime soon. ? I'm arranging to meet another kitebuggier I know at LG in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know when we plan head out. 

I heard that there were Canberra folks at Kingston this year. Were you one of them? I was just up the beach racing a Blokart. Seeing the Kingston kitebuggy vids made me dust off the ancient PL Comp again! It's been a long while.

9 hours ago, Easterly said:

I heard that there were Canberra folks at Kingston this year. Were you one of them? I was just up the beach racing a Blokart. 

@Tiger37 was one of two visiting from ACT. 

I was down the beach with the blokart, giving the buggies a hard time! LOL. 

9 hours ago, Easterly said:

Hi @Tiger37, yep, I'm a local. Happy to meet up for a kitebuggy sometime soon. ? I'm arranging to meet another kitebuggier I know at LG in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know when we plan head out. 

I heard that there were Canberra folks at Kingston this year. Were you one of them? I was just up the beach racing a Blokart. Seeing the Kingston kitebuggy vids made me dust off the ancient PL Comp again! It's been a long while.

As Mez has said, yes I was at Kingston. Look forward to meeting you and having a buggy session on Lake George.  My local buggy spot is the ovals behind the Burns Club at Kambah. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Tiger37 Headed out late yesterday. The lake surface is best a few hundred meters out from the rest stop on the right. There is a bit of a crumbling crust which means that it isn't lightening fast, but there is heaps of room. I won't be able to get out again today, but will be keen to get out again over the next week or so. I'll let you know when we get another easterly (or southerly), although it might be possible to buggy a westerly over on the other side. Otherwise I can head down to Kambah to say g'day.

17 hours ago, Easterly said:

@Tiger37 Headed out late yesterday. The lake surface is best a few hundred meters out from the rest stop on the right. There is a bit of a crumbling crust which means that it isn't lightening fast, but there is heaps of room. I won't be able to get out again today, but will be keen to get out again over the next week or so. I'll let you know when we get another easterly (or southerly), although it might be possible to buggy a westerly over on the other side. Otherwise I can head down to Kambah to say g'day.

Thanks for the update. I have not been out to Lake George for a couple of years now but it would be good to try it again. Winds not looking that strong over the next few days but may be good enough to get out at Kambah on Sat?