Best Kiting Food

SoutherlyBuster

So what is your favourite or best kiting food to get you going in the morning and keep you going well into the day for kiting?

Here is what we have as a tradition on the weekends, 50% - %50 flour and ground oats pan cakes.

image.jpg

Keeps us going till late afternoon. Served best with a spread of butter, stewed blue berries and cream on top, not to forget a strong cup of black coffee and good company.

Variations include, toppings of either nutella, honey or lemon juice+icing sugar.

image.jpg

Get rid of of the refined sugar and you have a winner. But Nutella, icing sugar and even honey are going to give you a sugar spike and lull. Complex carbs all the way for long lasting energy for hours. If your wanting sweetness then hit into the fruit for sweet toppings. Fruit sugars are linked to the fibre and also release slower than refined sugar. ........

For  the record my common breakfast is. Porridge with fruit. Usually banana. raisins, prune, and some form of berries. Blue berries most often.

Here's the longer story. 1 year ago I stopped eating as much refined sugar as I could. The reason was to increase my endurance and remove the afternoon tiredness that plagued me in the afternoon at  work.

Killing the refined sugar worked. A couple of weeks of no refined sugar and I felt so much better.  I felt way more alert, less stressed, less anxiety, my endurance increased significantly, the afternoon tiredness completely gone. Killing of as much of the refined sugar improved my life to a point where I had to make this a permanent change.

Then came the challenge of what to eat as almost every packaged food snack food has added sugar. No more buscuits, cake, icecream, chocolate (I love chocolate), sugary drinks, all sweet spreads (Nutella, jams, marmite). I loved all those things. It was incredibly hard. Even breakfast serials like wheetbix, cornflakes and ricies have added sugar.  I ended up finding stuff that had no sugar added and eating a lot more less packaged food. Have a fruit smoothie instead of a coke, home made sorbet instead of icecream, I make a no refined sugar date chocolate.

So the by product of killing the sugar is you stop eating those shitty snacks that are just full of crap. When I started this I was 84 kg. The weight started to fall off me. I wasn't actually fat to begin with. Any way fast forward several months and I am now 77kg. That's 4 kg heavier than my racing weight at age 25 (I raced mountain bikes nationally back then). Given that I have also gained additional muscle mass through kiting I am very happy with that weight.

Another thing I discovered once I killed the sugar is that I wasn't as hungry as I used to be I could go hours and hours without snacking. The snacking I did previously because I thought I was hungry was that sugar addiction. I was craving sugar. I didn't actually need food.

Fast forward  a year and I've relaxed my rules a little bit. I aim to not use refined sugar as much as practical. But its insanely hard. I've relaxed the rules back to if it has less than 5% sugar then i'll use it.

Fast forward to the moosemeet and a typical day was, get up go for a dawn breaker buggy, for a couple of hours, breakfast buggy till lunch, buggy till late afternoon, do a driftwood run build a fire, dinner and maybe a quick buggy before relaxing for the evening. I was always doing something. Several of the blokes asked me. "how the hell do you carry on for hours on end? i'm tired just looking at you"........ The answer kill the sugar and being physically fit.

Its definitely worth a go. To begin with you crave the sugar and you can't see a life without it. All this boring unsweet food. But you find healthier versions of the crap you once ate and your taste buds after a month or 2 recalibrate to the new refined sugarless diet. Things that you once enjoyed now taste sickly and overly sweet. Icecream for example just tastes like a bowl full of sugar now. I can't stand it. 

Also once the addiction wears off you no longer crave those foods. You walk past whole isles in the supermarket without considering a buying the crap thats presented. 

Cost wise it ends up about the same. You no longer buy the biscuits, cake, chocolate, lolly water drink. But you spend more on fruit, nuts and healthier alternatives. 

Researching into refined sugar you find that it can be responsible for depression, it adds no nutritional value, excess sugar spikes the insulin which promotes fat storage. So excessive sugar consumption will make you fatter than excess fat consumption. 

If you kill the sugar then by proxy you must also kill the alcohol.... that will be a hard pill to swallow for many. . . . . . . . . . Didn't bother me I don't drink any way.

Also while you are tackling addiction. Might as well kill the coffee also!!!..... That promotes an energy spike and lull similar too but not as bad as sugar!

When I say, no alcohol, no coffee, no refined sugar to someone they look at you like a crazy person.......

Hehehehe. But dammit I feel good. 

• 2 years later...

So @plummet was right ... want to loose weight and be healthy? Ditch processed breakfast cereals and ice cream. I used to have weat bix + cereal (out of the box) + bannana + 1 prune for breakfast, and other times the odd ice cream — then I weighed 73 kg. No more ice cream, breakfast now very simple: rolled oats boiled in water, add a little skim milk, add one spood full of home made unsweaten yugurt — after about 2 months my weight is down to target of 65 kg. You would be amazed on the amount of sugar those factory made and delivered in cardboard boxes cereals have in them. The first week of the change in diet, had me looking at the fridge often, not any more. The porridge lasts me longer than the previous diet — great kiting food.

We don't have a particular one but @nigel and his dash board donuts are a winner in the colder days out on the beach.!

As for the sugar, about 5 years ago I calculated that 2 tea spoons of sugar in about 3to4 cups per day of either tea or coffee accumulated to about 5kgs of sugar a year so I ditched the sugar in the hot drinks.

On 1/9/2017 at 5:02 AM, plummet said:

Fast forward to the moosemeet and a typical day was, get up go for a dawn breaker buggy, for a couple of hours, breakfast buggy till lunch, buggy till late afternoon, do a driftwood run build a fire, dinner and maybe a quick buggy before relaxing for the evening. I was always doing something. Several of the blokes asked me. "how the hell do you carry on for hours on end? i'm tired just looking at you"........ The answer kill the sugar and being physically fit.

I must admit, the keeping busy works. If your mind is focussed on something the craving disappears. Another good  habit to ditch is snacking in front of the telly. You will become used to eating chips, etc and then your body says to you, okay routine is to snack. Sometimes just getting up to do something else will help stop the crave. And lots of water, as 9/10 a grumbly belly is a belly which needs a drink.

Good work Southerly. I'm still rolling with no refined sugar. I'm also focusing on more veggies and less carbs in my main mean, That has trimmed a couple more kg. I'm now 75 kg at age 47, which is pretty darn good considering my racing weight in my mid 20's was 73kg.

Side note there is now less kiting and more mountain biking. Mountain biking adds to aerobic fitness way more than kiting. So my endurance and general fitness is as good as it was in my 20's also. Oh yeah i'm feeling good.