New Kiting spot (Melbourne)

DrWind

I was meaning to bring my landboard last session but forgot it in the haste. I think it would work, though the ground is still a bit soft given all the rain we have had. After a few warm days I imagine it would harden up and be reasonable. Next time I'll remember and let you know how it was.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gave up on kitesurfing prospects today. Wind a little light. So I'm over at Dingley giving a mountainboard & FARC a try. 

Quick update. The farc is definitely a 2 person kite for launching on grass though it flew well once in the air. I ended up settling on a trusty Venom 16 and mountainboard in a 15 knot southerly. The grounds are definitely mountainboard friendly though there are still some patches of thicker grass that aren't as fast as the harder ground where it has dried out. Not quite enough wind to jump but enough for cruising the hilltops. I expect with a 15-20 knot southerly jumping on the board would be great and the softer grass would be ideal for landings (mountainboarders take note!).

Edited by DrWind
Update

So I got my badly needed buggy time fix.

Wind was great: 10 - 20 knots averaging a pretty steady 15 (steady for a Northerly in metro Melbourne) from around 1-4pm.

Pretty warm under armour at around 30C.

North west end of the park on the NW facing slope proved most fun (as you can see by the tracks).

Ended up clocking up 3 hours of largely uninterrupted buggying (just under 40 kilometres total).

And a new 'hilly grass' PB of 52.5 KMH (downhill :-)

wind1.JPG

aerial.JPG

stats.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@DrWind I also have an FARC, you do not need two people to launch, just know the right technique. The key is to get it inflated well. Since it only has one centre inlet zipper, you may need to face it one way to get one half of the kite inflated, close the zip, spin kite around 180degrees, open zip to fill the other half, close zip and your are ready to fly solo.

1 hour ago, Northern Kites Australia said:

How does Dingley compare to President's Park in Werribee? Just curious.

Not sure as I haven't been kite buggying at President's so cannot compare.

I did manage to get some drone footage yesterday. I'll upload this once I get some time to edit it and you can form your own opinion :-)

3 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

@DrWind I also have an FARC, you do not need two people to launch, just know the right technique. The key is to get it inflated well. Since it only has one centre inlet zipper, you may need to face it one way to get one half of the kite inflated, close the zip, spin kite around 180degrees, open zip to fill the other half, close zip and your are ready to fly solo.

I did what you suggested but just found it a bit of a pain wanting to launch itself once there was enough air in it and also the high AR left the kite more open to bow ties. Certainly not impossible to self-launch, but just a bit of a hassle :-)

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:31 AM, Mez said:

Wanted - 1 x Kite B*tch for DrWind. Any takers?? :clapping:

Just joking. I hope you had a nice couple of days out Chris. 

Been thinking that's what I need for some time now :-)

Great days. Hopefully have a chance to edit some of the footage this weekend.

22 hours ago, nigel said:

Or some help from an ARC-o-holic  :grin:

Happy to give some pointers next time we catch up, or let me know a little more in advance when your going out.

Sounds great Nigel ;-)

Early warning has been a bit tough of late as the wind has been a little unpredictable. PM me your mobile and I'll send you a text if I'm at St. Kilda oval (as it is only a few hundred metres from your work)!

BTW . . . I am not the total newbie when it comes to ARC's. I currently possess 9 of them ranging from 13 to 19M sizes (Venom's, Bomba's, Guerrilla's F-ARC's), and have been using them on water snow and land since they were first produced commercially. I love their simplicity, auto-zenith tendency, and mostly boosting power for jumping. So I guess I too am a bit of an ARC-o-holic!

• 1 month later...

Assuming the wind does what is forecast, this weekend is looking good for Dingley (NNE 10-15 Sat, NW 15-20 Sun). If Saturday afternoon picks up enough I'll consider heading across. Sunday looks promising with a little more wind forecast. I have been finding anywhere from 15-25 seems to work there, and a northerly bias seems preferable. Hope to see anyone who wants to squeeze a winter run in. Message me if you are considering it.

BTW I got out on three occasions last weekend and had some great times. I'm finding if you pick your times well, winter buggying can be great!

We have flown kites here a few times and agree its a great spot...  apart from the walk up to the top lugging loads of gear...  was a tad concerned re its closeness to Moorabbin airport..   During the week I contacted Moorabbin Airport and the CASA  ( Civil Aviation Safety Authority).  I sent an email with a map marking the area..  they rang me back with half an hour and said as long as we fly under 400 FEET..  its fine.  So  we will be going there this Sunday 2nd of July after lunch to test fly a load of large single string kites...