As I mentioned in another thread, I have a heap of material left over from building 1830 F-arc's. The f-arcs are made from good quality chikara ripstop and it is too good to just throw out, so I decided I needed to put it to good use.

I have been playing with Surf Plan for a while now and although I can get a design that looks good, I have no idea if the design will fly or not. Then one day looking threw some old archived websites, I found a link to the surf plan design specs for a 6m p-arc. P-arc (P=parallel) was the original name of the F-arc, but was changed before release because Parc backwards is crap :D 

SurfPlan Download

P-arc base.sle

IMG_1027.thumb.JPG.ed7b0e48d937c763abf85dca8010a4af.JPG

anyway, I decided it was worth giving it a go since I already had the material. So I got the plans printed out on A0 paper and set to work.

IMG_1026.thumb.PNG.3b22603196e8f436438d761d9aff239e.PNG

first thing I had to do was unpick every seam on the remaining sections of 16m f-arc, which took a lot longer then expected.

next came the marking out and cutting. Because I was working with material that had been folded and crushed, rather then off the roll, it was a nightmare getting it to lay flat to trace the outline on to. I had to flatten an then clamp the corners to the table. As well as the outline of each piece surfplan also allows you to add waypoints so everything can be aligned after being cut.

I used a hot knife to cut all the pieces out to make it a bit quicker and stop the edges from fraying.

IMG_7469.thumb.JPG.5211f542e461c3fc91f9f65c6ee97af1.JPG

IMG_7461.thumb.JPG.fb08d82796777d1517eb6fbd708c6ba5.JPG

IMG_7457.thumb.JPG.d9b0ee03aca42f28d298eb2bf1ef40af.JPG

i then used double sided tape to stick all the pieces of the top and bottom skin together for sewing. The ribs were too difficult to stick in place, so they were just aligned and stitched as I went. (A walking foot attachment from eBay makes sewing ripstop sooo much easier)

IMG_7476.thumb.JPG.551438332e42496f19823b0b28f5288b.JPG

IMG_1057.thumb.PNG.82132466b75fb94ba8caaed93b9c2fe3.PNG

IMG_7487.thumb.JPG.5b3080ad5285c88d10accbcebaf8912b.JPG

The surfplan design didn't have spar pockets, so I made them from some 50mm webbing and stitched them to the end cells. 

I also added internal front and rear straps of 25mm webbing, similar to the more modern arcs. Like the modern arcs, the rear strap has adjustment for the middle 5 cells and wingtip 5 cells. I also made the front line adjustable at the middle 5 cells, in case the kite was prone to backstall.

IMG_7485.thumb.JPG.72cc8540c8e9730e9c1b4897ef129154.JPG

And the finished product.....

flat area: 6m

wing span: 6m 

AR: 6.0

IMG_7514.thumb.JPG.ecf525928b1504c1e5a47decf2ac116b.JPG

I estimate it took about 100hrs, cost $150 and countless ?

• .Joel featured this topic

Outstanding work!!!!:ok:     I'm amazed at what you come up with.

It's a credit to your determination to achieve fella. Or more to the point, not waste good materials.

This should be a great high wind weapon. Bloody well done.

Bet there is no wind for a month now.

1 hour ago, Kamikuza said:

Looks great, good work. Always wanted to do that but never had the time or inclination :D

I seem to remember reading on the PL blog that the F-arc was so named because the first time he flew it, he was like "Farc!" I wonder which story is apocraphyl . . .

Seems we are both right :D 

http://www.peterlynnkites.com/news/0112news.htm

Awsome effort @andy666. Good to see you put the straps in, I saw years ago some one went down the same path with SurfPlan perhaps even the same arc plan and did not put in the straps or was it putting the strap on the wrong side, either way it developed a large dip in the profile. Good luck with the maiden flight.

10 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

Be interesting how this compares to the Hi Archs. Seems to turn fast. Whats it pull like?

Yeah, it does turn pretty fast, but it's on a 50cm bar, so that's got a lot to do with it.

not sure how well it will go in the buggy yet. Very gusty wind.

when it gusted, guessing about 15knots, it had a bit of pull. But it's still way below its ideal wind range. Plus it may static fly well, but stall when up to speed in the buggy. Only time will tell.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • .Joel unfeatured this topic
  • 2 years later...

Hi All,

This is truly great work! Bravo!!!

So what is the verdict of this build after 3 years? Are there any updates to the plans or possible tweak suggestions?

How does the skin from the 16m2 host kite hold up in the 6m2 over time? That is almost a 3X wing loading increase (16m2 to 6m2)! Are there some extra reinforcements to perhaps consider in some areas?

I had found a file many years agi called the “buggy p-arc”  The .sle file I had found I had “Henry Kulk” (Holland?) as the author and it was also 6m2 (could it be of the same origin?).

My first build did not even fly because of the material (ripstop seconds). I had modded the design to make it more “Guerilla-ish” (wavy LE like in the PL patent) and bigger, 12m2. It that was quite successful I think, because it flew well. Unlike the F-Arc, it would relaunch better from the taco position as I recall because of the LE wave. Long time ago... gotta blow some dust off it that one. If it flies well I could post it.

I still have and old roll printer but I will try to laser cut this one. That way I can save on costly cartridges that keep drying out (Not again! 😞)

Thanks Olof for the de-wrinkle tip !!!

Paul

@Paul Isabelle, no real updates. I flew the kite once in the buggy in about 20knots. It flew, but had a tendency to stall once the speed built. I fiddled with the front and rear strap a bit on the beach, which improved it a bit, but never fixed it. It would get up to a reasonable speed in the buggy and then simply stop accelerating.

Thank you @andy666,

I also came across some other comments about this kite, the "p-arc". Some said to reverse the letters to know why and that spells cra-p to me ;-) Unless it was a tuning issue, I see no sense making one then. Has anyone got this thing to drive proper?

I will start by looking at the Surfplan file carefully. Maybe I can modify the kite parameters until I can get something that matches the F-ARC more closely. By printing key patterns such as the center and intermediate profiles, key panels, and basic overall dimensions of the end result, perhaps I can try to get a better match. My F-ARC1200 has no problems at speed as my kiteskiing sesh the other day reminded me, scary fast when that sucker winds up.

Has anyone ever sucessfully attempted to build one of the edgier arcs like the Hi-Arc? And what is it with those kites that make them so prime? It is more the overall layout that counts, or is it the airfoil profiles?

This brings up a much bigger question. How do we reverse engineer a kite?

• Is there some way to scan it in 3D in flight under load?
    • Naw, I did not actually ask that... we will have stretching and billow to contend with...
    • Even inflated static, hung in the air free,... will not provide much
    • The accuracy of the scan would hose precision...
  • I guess there is little choice but...
    • Take one that flies well apart, panel by panel by panel
    • Trace or digitize each single panel, average left and right mirror panels for better accuracy
    • Try to recreate it in a 3D model using software like SurfPlan of Foilmaker
    • Bring all this into CAD via DXF and painstakingly compare... panels

Maybe one has to start over from scratch with the basic rules (Cp, AoA,coneing,...) and go through builds, tests, countless revisions...

Has anyone ever seen a Peter Lynn ARC design guide that lays out the rules?  If ever we figure this all out some day we should!

FANTACTIC WORK ANDY !!!

Your kite appears to fly very well in the video that you posted. Bravo!

Have you ridden it at top speed yet (ie buggy or something)? How is it's power and depower? There is a lot to learn from your build.

I had built a 12m from the P-ARC design ten years ago or so, but it had many issues. Seeing your video has encouraged me to take that one out again. I am unable to get it airborne, but I think I know why now. The inflation vent valves are wrinkled from storage and do not shut well. I am fixing that and hope to be out testing it shortly.

But as I recall, at top speed, it would dive from the middle most violently. I had to always keep some brakeline pressure to avoid this. Has your kite done anything like that? If I can mine flying again, I will check that out proper.

Thanks Andy!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By RaceKites
      I personally have been downhilling on mountain boads for a year or so now and i have been through 2 boards already and am on my third. I started off on a 50 pound Kheo Bazik in 2004 and in summer 2005 i advanced onto a Sol 16 with NoSno soft bindings. I liked the pop of the boad and i improved much quicker.
      But after Christmas 2006 i decided to take the plunge and buy a Comp 16 Pro. 150 squids later i was the pround owner of a second hand 2004 comp 16 with a few of the finer trimming missing but the main parts still there. Now came the metamorphosis this review is all about. I chose to combine the best features from both of my boards (I still had the Sol 16) and make my 'ultimate' board.

Its stats are:
      Comp 16 Pro (2004) deck
      MBS quadshocks trucks
      Trispoke hubs
      NoSno soft bindings
      Red T1 tyres

Assembly:
      The first major obstacle when building a mountain board is to dissassemble the boardswithout stripping any heads. My tips for avoiding that circumstance are to a) go slowly and push down hard to avoid it stripping the head. After that the only other obstacle is drilling holes for the new trucks. This is actually very easy if you take apart the trucks you want to drill holes for and use the baseplate as a template for the drilling. Make sure you clamp a piece of wood to the bottom of the board to stop it splintering when the drill comes through.
      After you have done all of this final assembly is easy. The only major part for me was the bolts needed to attach the bindings to the comp 16 as they needed to be a different type due to the inserts MBS supplies. The scresw cost about 90p from a DIY shop.

Performance:
      Well for me this board is close to the ultimate setup for downhilling for me. The Trispoke hubs are stronger than rockstars even though they are heavier in my opinion they perform much better. The red T1's are light, grippy and very good looking and for me they are the best tyres on the market.
      NoSno soft bindings are amazing i would reckomend them to anyone with any board. They are like F3's without any chance of your feet coming out and the ability to have snowboard like control without having to wear snowboard shoes is very liberating. They also help you get higher for freestyle as the board seems to stick to your feet better so all energy goes up rather than in shifting your feet around. I have never had a foot slip out with these bindings!
      The trucks i chose are lighter than matrixes and so i chose them instead and in my opinion they perform better and for freestyle they help alot.
      As a whole this board is a beast, it munches through freestyle and while it wont go in as many places as 10inchers can go it will go over some pretty bumpy stuff. I have taken it to over 20miles per hour and no sign of wobble and i think it has the potential to go much faster.

In short i would reckomend building your own board from bits for any one who like me finds board on the market good, but not good enough or someone who is just looking for a bit of a challenge. Go forth and create!!

John
      By : jackass
    • By adamski
      We have had Peter Lynns for a while now... starting with a 9m G2... we have loved flying them and have put up with the odd bit of "Character"... this character often showed itself in filling and launching... that and the low end of the wind ranges were never... "all that".

So... have you been looking for a kite that is ludicrously easy to set up?
      One that produces shed loads of power... equal to a bow perhaps?
      a kite that has no pumps or bridles?
      one that forgives the odd mistake and doesn't attempt to beat you to a pulp in gusts?

Here you go... try one of our Synergies... lovely!

What do you get?

Well a great new bag, really easy to stuff a wet kite int with spars in place and lots of places to hang boards and bars.
      No more tshirt in the bag... you get a nice hat now... mmm warm head!
      The VPC bridle doings are simple.... almost impossible to get wrong, however, you do get kook proof connectors now. So no matter how cold your brain gets you wont connect your lines TOO badly!!

We are flying all our Synergies on the 07 bar set up and are very happy with the results... decent throw on the de-power and an easy to trigger safety system for those... "on my GOD, I am about to die!!" moments.

How do they fly?
      This is mainly from my boys input... they are VERY powerful compared to V2s... they look almost square in the air, the turn lightning fast and depower in a good linear way.
      My time landboarding with the 10m was great fun, superfast turning meant that even when the wind dropped good power could be had from working the kite.

I am looking forward to getting out on the sea with them over Easter and WILL report back with more info.

SO far, Sam has managed some of his highest ever jumps on the Synrgies, there is the best float EVER on a Peter Lynn we have owned and the build quality and fabric are like none before.

Updates coming soon!

Adam
      By : adamski
    • By the_bleep
      I was very lucky to get a Peter Lynn Guerilla2 13m last year, and it was one of the best purchases I ever made, at just £200 it was mega cheap, exactly the sort of price I was after. Heres my experience of it:

Well, as with any kite, the first thing you notice is the bag. Very good bag, strong and durable, looks reasonable, but the fact you can extend it to double the size is very handy. You can easily fit 2 ARCs in when it's extended. I can easily fit in: kite, bar, lines, helmet, harness, lunch, 5m fixed bridle, 2 litres of drink and some other accessories.

Anyway, you take out the kite and boy it looks huge! If you're new to depower don't be put of by the large size, as when in the air the kite forms into an arc shape (hence the name) which makes the projected area around 8.4m for this 13m.

So, colours. There are semi circles in orange, black and grey on the 13m, and although it doesnt sound attractive, it looks pretty good in the air.

On the Guerilla2, there is only 1 inflation point, so if the wind is under around 12mph it can take quite a long time to fill, especially if you're inland, but once you're in clean winds on a beach you can get it in the air in about 5-10 minutes once you get good at it.

A handy feature on the Guerilla2 is the different settings for the brake lines, so you can either chose 'more bar pressure', or, you've guessed it, 'less bar pressure'. The difference between the two is how much of the power you feel through the bar, more basically makes it a bit harder to turn, but you can really feel where the kite is in the air due to the brake lines being shorter.

Once you get the kite in the air, you will feel how easy it is to fly. On my first fly I'd picked it up in about 10 minutes, and I was boarding up and down the field comfortably after about 30 minutes, something I was not too confident at before.

Another handy feature which has pretty much become the Peter Lynn trademark is the auto zenith function, this means if you let go of the bar, the kite will rise to the top of the window, and just sit there. I found this handy if I wanted to tie up my shoelaces, get a drink or just lie down and take a breather for 5 minutes.

Something you will soon notice if you fly inland is that the Guerilla2 simply munches gusts. If a gust comes through you won't get yanked off your board of thrown out your buggy, you will feel a little increase of power, but nothing too much.

In terms of safety, I had it set up on a front line safety, so if it got too much then I would pull the safety and it would flatten out and instantly lose all power.

Windrange. Well, I'm very light, around 8 stone, and I've flown this in around 8mph up to about 22mph on a beach, and gusting to about 24mph inland, but my friend who has flown in (11 stone ish) has taken in up to nearly 30mph, but he has had quite a lot of ARC experience.

If its lift you want, youve got it. If you want to learn to jump on a board this thing is magic. Jumps are effortless and the float is incredible. Ive gone about 6ft in about 15mph on semi power, so you can imagine what this beauty can do in 25. Ive learnt all the tricks I know on this, smooth jumps and a soft touchdown make it the perfect kite for someone who wants to progress to the next level on their board or buggy.

So, to summarise, if you're looking for a first depower that can enter you into the world of freestyle or just help you improve your cruising skills, this kite is awesome. And because of the age (2004) you can pick them up pretty cheap.

I hope thats helped, and if you do get one, good luck! 😄
      By : ARCboy_123