This turned into a hot topic all of a sudden.

we cull enormous numbers of sharks everyday.... It's called flake. if you want to get even just go out and buy fish n chips more often.

In reality, you might get a shark net put around a famous beach or two, but that's about it. It's not going to happen, if peeps are so concerned, find a lake.

i wonder if you can use kitesurfing gear in Albert Park lake :read:

Hmm I think however drew that map does not / did not live in Australia. "Baby eating dingos" in WA, er um should be NT. Still funny. By the way Green Peace is having a big campaign to ban the use of gill nets to sway the Minister to reverse his back flip, I voted no for gill nets, Green Peace's answer was to examine better ways to deter sharks.

• 1 month later...

Here we go again, 

today a mate was telling me 5meter great White shark terrorised swimmers at Lorne,  there was a close call with a mother and her baby who were in the water at the time and we are very slow getting out.

According to all the pro shark people,  serves her right for playing 2m from the waters edge of the beach with her child,  humans have no right to be entering the sharks Domain. ?

I wonder how they would feel if they were in the water with the children and they got eaten alive,  just saying

Ok I'll bite.

I can't see in the news reports where it is confirmed by any experts that it was a great white however they seem to suggest that it was 3 meters but what is an extra meter or two when re telling someone elses story.  It was filmed by a fisherman on a 1km long pier but does not say if it was at the end of the pier and therefore 1km away from the shore or closer in. The biggest danger seems to have been to people not taking note of the signs saying not to jump off the pier - perhaps the signs are there for a reason?  Could the splashing from groups of people jumping off the pier have attracted it in to investigate a possible food source?

Another point of view is how lucky were these people to see a magnificent predator from the relative saftey of a pier. A timely reminder for all beach goers to be aware of their surroundings whilst on holidays and swim between the flags where there are many eyes watching out for dangers.

While on the topic of sea creature danger you might want to worry about the  blue bottles around the victorian coast at the moment.

Maybe time to stick to the local swimming pool?

47 minutes ago, Skiplant said:

So someone goes for a nature walk and decides to not stay on path but walk through knee deep grass in summer near a dam.

what will everyone say when they get bitten by a eastern brown.

I think everyone would say "What rotten luck, all of us getting bitten by a deadly Australian snake while walking in the English countryside . . .. "

On 13/12/2016 at 6:03 PM, Spartan said:

today a mate was telling me 5meter great White shark terrorised swimmers at Lorne,

"Terrorised" swimmers?  You mean the shark was doing what a shark does, swimming through the water and now that's "terrorising."
Frack me, lets all get these sharks in to line and teach them to walk on their fins and do a little penguin waddle to seem more friendly...

31 minutes ago, .Joel said:

"Terrorised" swimmers?  You mean the shark was doing what a shark does, swimming through the water and now that's "terrorising."
Frack me, lets all get these sharks in to line and teach them to walk on their fins and do a little penguin waddle to seem more friendly...

finally some one who gets it ??

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The location looks like a rock fishing location, what was the dog doing in the water anyway?

As an aside if you take your child to the beach consider that instead of a shark attack they're statistically more likely to

1. Die in a car accident during the trip down.

2. Be run over crossing the road to get to the beach

3. Get skin cancer ( this will take a while to show up of course) 

4. Get fatal food poisoning from the food purchased at the local shop

5. Be beaten to death by the parents later in the day because they're drug addicts or similar

6-1000 blah blah blah

life has risks, sharks represent a very minor one. 

If you get eaten Spartan, I guess you can say I told you so..... We watch with interest.