New Kiting spot (Melbourne)

DrWind

Hi All,

I'm new to posting on the site though I admit I have been 'stalking' ExtremeKites for some time. I am a self-confessed addict when it comes to various kite sports, and have been for close to 15 years (snow kiting, kite buggying, landboarding, kitesurfing, kite skating, and more recently foilboarding - and some KAP and KAV). Thanks to all members for years of fascinating posts :) 

I wanted to let everyone know about a new kiting spot I've found in metro Melbourne. I figure new spots rarely emerge in the residential area so it's worth a post.

The location is Spring road Dingley - easiest entry point I have found is just near the intersection with Seaton Drive. I have been kite buggying there the last two weekends and have loved it. From what I can tell it is best on a NE or SW wind, yet there is enough space for it to work in any direction. You get undulating hills with reasonably flat grasslands (possibly flat enough for landboarding, though I haven't yet tried). It would be roughly 300 metres wide by 750 metres long. It looks and feels like the old Windows desktop picture. The only challenges for now are that all the boundary fences haven't yet been removed, and there remain some landfill gas removal obstructions that are far enough apart to be reasonably easily avoided, but would not be good to run into. Given the variable terrain there are plenty of challenges (variable pitches and variable wind strength depending on your position).

I hope to see some of you there, and also hope everyone will keep safe and respectful of the site as this could become a great communal pace for kite users to meet - especially for people who live in metro Melbourne.

Happy kiting!

The locals tell me it is zoned for public parkland. Looks like this is the case as there are some pathways going in on the East end and the grass has been mowed (though it is still a little bumpy underneath). It was a tip so I believe there is not a lot they can do with the land until it has settled. Main occupants at present are dog walkers, but there is plenty of space to share!

@DrWind any chance you can grab a photo or two next time you're out there?  Keen to see how it has improved, when I used to live in Mount Waverley we were always scouting places down that way to kite in Northerlies and Easterlies, however mostly ended up at Bicentennial Park in Chelsea.  We visited the spot you mention but back then it was unusable, so we went over the other side of the freeway to what's now known as "Spring Valley Park."

Happy to grab a pic or two next time I'm there. A friend took some shots on Sunday so I'll see if I can have him pass them across.

Perhaps there may be a chance this weekend, though I think the forecast looked pretty wet. I'll let you know igeighty.

Joel - I've also landboarded at Spring Valley Park (in my search for sites) though found there were lots of obstacles and the ground was pretty rough. I haven't been back after getting my kite lines caught in fencing! The Dingley site is much better.

Here are some of the pics taken. Sorry about the size - they came through to my email very small. Hopefully you get an idea of the area available. As I said, like the old Windows desktop! It's a pity you cannot see the variable terrain which makes this area quite challenging (and fun). Next time I'll get some video / pics.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• 2 months later...

If anyone is interested, I'm planning on a buggy at Dingley this Saturday 14th (tomorrow). The wind conditions sound light but ok (Northerly 10-15 knots, possibly pushing 20 knots later).

I expect to be there after lunch (around 1pm). I've found the best place to park is towards the north-west end of the park (near Seaton drive). You only need to walk your buggy 100 metres up the hill to get a good view of the park and also launch.

Hope to see some other buggies!