Kite Till You Drop @ Speed Week 2011

.Joel

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought I'd say these words but after another session on the beach this morning I said

"I think I've had enough buggying for now"

I buggied for an average of 4 hours on 5 of the last six days!

It was an awesome Speed Week

Thanks to Joel and Mel who organised it under difficul circumstances. You guys rock!

My thoughts go out to Rob. Hope you get well soon mate. You are a dead set legend. My hat is off to you.

Shane

Just got back after 6 days of kiting every day on the main beach with the best saved for last! Lots of video to sort through, so it may be Saturday before I get it edited and posted. Many thanks to Joel and Mel for the organization, food and running back and forth. Best wishes to Rob - although I'm sure I'm gonna see him blasting past me on the 4.4m Reactor again before too long..... and thanks to all for your great company. Damn Good Week.

"I think I've had enough buggying for now"

Blasphemy!!!! If I'm not buggying, I darn well want to be!

That was an epic 4 days!! I spent all my time in the surf since I haven't yet ventured into buggy land - but I have tried buggying and loved every second of it. The first day was perfect weather in terms of crystal clear relatively flat water, but unfortunately very little wind for most of the day. But the wind did pick up for every other day as SoutherlyBuster described :)

I just bought a Mutiny P-Series kite from Briskites, and apart from looking very trick, the kite is one hell of a performance kite, and very easy to use. Possibly the best kite-related purchase to date! Power comes on nice and smooth, kite is always stable, and turning is very quick. I got surprisingly comfortable with this kite very quickly, and for a 9m kite, I managed to use it in very low winds through to quite high winds without a problem. What's more, it gave me the confidence to try a bunch of new tricks - front rolls, unhooking, a badly executed railey, jump transitions, and a bunch of kiteloops! All of which need heaps of work, but I'd previously not been confident enough to try them. Koma was good enough to give me a bit of coaching on my last day at the beach as his knee had started giving him real problems, and is largely responsible for getting me to start looping the kite :D At that point I started to get a little too keen, tried to do a backroll off some chop, ended up spinning uncontrollably under the kite and was soon smashed by a couple of waves too. Not sure when it happened, but at some point I bruised a rib and badly bruised my foot to the point of not being able to walk on it for a day :( And I managed to cut nearly every part of my hand and foot on something -- note: don't grab the fin as it gouges out skin, and don't put your finger against the depower rope, it cuts right through! Lessons learned :(

Shared a good session with Lee on his 15m Matrix (thanks Lee!), which is quite a powerful kite when it's moving quickly, so much so I found myself in the shallows and then on the beach before I'd taken the power out of the kite. I was then yanked skywards, and after a couple of spins (I thought it was one, Lee and Jas said it was two!) I managed to land on my feed instead of being pulled into the dunes :P That was fun :) Lee and I swapped boards at some point and we both agreed each others board was impossible to ride :D Sorry about the fins Lee! I must say it was nice to go right to the shallows with no fins :P

Best part was probably the downwinders - never done that before, one hell of a ride, especially going around and up the inlet - and THANKS Koma for mentioning all those stories about sharkes and rays!! I was definitely being very careful not to come off... Oncee around the head of the inlet and making our way up, there was a short stretch of water protected by small dunes resulting in butter flat water - let the depower out, pull in the bar and pick up heaps of speed in an offshore breeze!!! It's a very strange sensation following the kite directly downwind and not returning to the same place. If you haven't done a downwinder, I'd strongly recommend it!! A big thankyou to Lee for driving us to the beach and picking us up - also, sorry about forgetting to tell you how to turn the car off :P

Met a bunch of fun people new to the sport and heaps of old friends too, I can't wait for the next speed week already!! Also can't wait for some good photo evidence of the fun and games!

My gallery from Sandy Point is now live. 237 photos in total, so if anyone wants any of the hi-res shots just take a note of what the filename says in the bottom left hand corner (under the previews) and PM me with your email address and the file numbers you're after.

GALLERY LINK HERE

A few photo's to prove that kiting did take place... :good:

DSC_5772.jpg

The view down towards the inlet.

DSC_5856.jpg

ProZac showing how it's done on a landboard.

DSC_5800.jpg

SirLancelot stretching it out in the flat water.

DSC_5857.jpg

SirLancelot going big on his Mutiny P 9m

DSC_5850.jpg

OBEwan rearranging the beach

DSC_5649.jpg

The wetsuit in the buggy look might still catch on...

The wetsuit in the buggy look might still catch on...

After dodging showers all day Sunday and effectively missing out on buggying that day, the wet suit was the solution.

It actually worked really well on the Monday and kept me nice and dry and warm despite the early showers.

I must admit that when the sun came out though, I was stewing in there.

In future whenever I can't decide between a buggy run and a steam bath, I'll go the wet suit and have both! hehe

Great pics Koma! There is a plus side to you being injured and out of the action. We all get great photos taken of ourselves kiteing.

Shane

ive finaly got online, im ok guys but i did do a bit of damage, fractured one of my vertibrae in my mid back so ill be in a back brace for a month or two, but its not dangerous. im hoping to be good for kingston :crazypilot: thanks everyone for helping me and taking care of all my stuff :good:

a quote from my mum: "I knew it would take something like this to slow you down" - she knows me well

ive finaly got online, im ok guys but i did do a bit of damage, fractured one of my vertibrae in my mid back so ill be in a back brace for a month or two, but its not dangerous. im hoping to be good for kingston :crazypilot: thanks everyone for helping me and taking care of all my stuff :good:

a quote from my mum: "I knew it would take something like this to slow you down" - she knows me well

hey speedy put a belt on or SLOW down a little :eek: na good to hear u is some what ok rob take care mate mend quick and will catch ya :crazypilot:

hey speedy put a belt on or SLOW down a little :eek: na good to hear u is some what ok rob take care mate mend quick and will catch ya :crazypilot:

I agree with wolfie. Go the seat belt Rob. And if you're not planning on jumping or two wheeling, a maxi axle might be a good idea. I tried real hard to tip myself out of the buggy this week but it's almost unflippable with the maxi axle. But hey that's just advice from someone who is about 15km/hr slower than you bro. Mend fast Rob. :good:

Shane

Dear Mr 87 km/h with a 3M Fury,

Look after yourself, Mend fast, Get well, and see you at Kingston

You're a mad bugger!

BobM

Hi guys and girls

Finally got to a computer! Wow what an awesome four days at Sandy Point. :good:

Just wanted say a big thanks to Joel and Mel for organising the trip and for the delicious Bbq on Sunday night. :clapping:

It was great to kite with new and old friends, :drinks: Andy that was an awesome land boarding and Buggying secession on the beach; Thanks for letting me have a go at the flysurfer, what an awesome kite! I suppose your back to buggying in your boardies now!! heheheh :cool:

Thanks koma for the tips on kite surfing, i might stay at altona in the little surf till i get a bit better and also for the photos, unreal! Its so good to look back on what a weekend it was!

That early morning landboard/buggy run with Shane down to the inlet was near perfect, laying down the first tracks on the sand was an experience, i did try to get a head start on Shane in his buggy but he did catch up pretty quickly, hehe! :D

Danny hope you have recovered from that stack on Saturday evening, what a secession!!! big jumps mega slides!! kiteing across sand and then onto the thin film of water which covered half the beach at low tide, it looked like you were kitesurfing with a landboard. :crazypilot:

And our awesome housemates, zac, norman, danny, andy, shane, jenny, who all had that seventh sense, as soon as the wind picked up we were scrambling for the beach! heheh! :friends:

Cant wait for the next one!

And rob who i did meet briefly, hope you recover quickly.

Jason & Jacq.

Well I got an iPhone over the wknd, so I'll have another go at mobile internet.

Firstly a big thanks to Joel and mel for all their work organising the event and over the weekend.

@jollijumper. I haven't made it home yet as i'v been in brissy for the last few days, but yeah i am looking forward to a buggy in the nice warm sun :)

The entire week was great, but the Saturday afternoon was my favourite. It may not of been considered "ideal" conditions with lighter cross shore winds. But being right on sunset and with nearly everyone down there, it was just magic.

• 2 weeks later...

@Rob, good to cya still that crash test dummy :P

take it easy buddy, will catch up with ya next time :good:

JD

PS, have a new seat for you

new seat :) im curious, what did you come up with?

im gonna have to come up with a new control system too, flying one handed is all good till the kite shoots up in the air, then i cant grab the other handle to pull the kite back - thats what happened. What do you think about the turbo bar? if something happenened and i pull in the bar will that stall the kite enough to get me out of serious trouble?

I don't think you're going to be able to reach the bar Rob, it's going to be to far from you. Probably a full fixed bridle bar, with no movement may be best similar to that "crossover" bar you have already. Try John Holgate's turbo bar at Kingston, but I think you will find it sits too far from you.

What do you think about the turbo bar? if something happenened and i pull in the bar will that stall the kite enough to get me out of serious trouble?

I don't think it would, Rob. If you were well powered up, it would only give you more power. Going slow (LOL!) /static flying you can stall it by pulling the bar in - I have to remind myself of this everytime I static fly it on the beach = throw the kite high, pull the bar in, stall the kite and land on my bum. After I've done that a few times I remember - oh yeah, it's not a depower and I'm not moving fast enough to make more power... :o

I've had the Reactor 4.4m on the turbo bar and the reactor didn't like it - too much brake input for it - I would expect similar from the core. My little 2.8 century hated the bar too..

Turbo bar does have the primary safety that's pretty easy to pop and then reload. Again, it's a bit of a reach, but you could always attach a line to it and attach it to bar/harness/wrist loop.... could be a bit of a pain with crossed lines.

Give it a whirl at Kingston and see what you think. A depower could be worth a try if you haven't already.....of course, they aint as fast as that reactor or century......

Alternatively - something like a kite killer/s attached to the brake lines (I'm talking handles) may give you a bit more leeway to pull some brake on with your wrist/arm even if you can't reach the handle in some circumstances ?? Then again, that could be highly embarrassing if you gave someone a big wave......