It seems the old saying "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?" is as relevant to kites as it was to cars and bikes. For those with the need for speed and the means to achieve it Ozone are happy to help with the release of the new Chrono V3. Too much for me on both fronts but I'm sure there are others on this forum that will be itching to get their hands on one. Details on

https://ozonekites.com/products/water-kites/chrono-v3/

On a side-note, the Blizzard has vanished from the Ozone website even though a number of retailer's sites show it as "coming soon" with prices listed. The kite was announced by Ozone in October and it's still not available. Have they run into problems with production, was the media release premature and they're still struggling with design issues, or is it just a stuffup with the web page? Maybe @Kitepower Australia can shed some light?

There's waves in Port Phillip Bay? :) I doubt there would be any issues with the kite in the bay.  I think more using it in surf and having it dumped and rolled.  As the kites are designed with lighter and lighter fabrics they're less tolerant to forces outside of what they're designed to handle in flight.  

It would be interesting to see some of the cell/chord/ratio data for the Chrono V1 and V2 compared to the V3.

We have a couple Blizzards here, it has to be re-named though because Ozone stupidly didn't check for Trademarks on this name from the Ski Manufacturer http://www.blizzard-ski.com/ who they actually know well and the GM uses Ozone kites in the snow haha

Oh well, people make mistakes... It will be called SUB ZERO, re-released on Feb 1st.

We have a couple rare Blizzards in store now ;)

On 1/15/2018 at 12:21 PM, Kitepower Australia said:

We have a couple Blizzards here, it has to be re-named though because Ozone stupidly didn't check for Trademarks on this name from the Ski Manufacturer http://www.blizzard-ski.com/ who they actually know well and the GM uses Ozone kites in the snow haha

Oh well, people make mistakes... It will be called SUB ZERO, re-released on Feb 1st.

We have a couple rare Blizzards in store now ;)

Thanks for filling us in on the "mysterious disapearance" of the Blizzard. I'm glad to hear it's still around. Do you have one of these collectors items on demo?

On 1/15/2018 at 8:36 AM, andy666 said:

Possibly it doesn’t drift well, so not suitable for wave riding. Or maybe they just don’t want to take sales away from one of their other kites. 

There is a fellow here in Christchurch using his Chrono in the surf, but mind you the surf was small when ever I saw him flying it. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By FireForEffect
      I thought I'd write a review on the Samurai 2 as I have been using it now for well over a year and even though it's not a recent model from Ozone - in my opinion it will always be an excellent kite, far from out dated and always in my collection.

Build quality?

Lets just say flawless. This was the first Ozone kite I had bought and I was immediately impressed with Ozone design and build quality, checking everything from the Rucksack to the kite and lines ( a whole lot jazzier than the grey flexifoil lines I was used to with the Sting - the pink and orange lines match perfectly with the Samurai 2 in orange and blue - kind of strange, but it works). The workmanship on the kite itself - everything from stitching alignment to the bridling was sheer precision. The quality control that Ozone have did not let me down in any way, absolute class. When I first saw the Samurai 2 online I was immediately attracted to the graphics / panels which I found so visually impressive with this kite. Again, full marks for design - simple yet bold (the fact that there is always a cyber samurai warrior emblazoned on the central diamond panel looking down at you is always a plus).

The first attempt at flight with the Samurai 2 was when after only having flown a Flexifoil Sting 2.4m for 4 weeks previously as the grand sum of my power kiting experience. It was interesting, to say the least. I can catagorically state that I was definitely a total novice when I bought the Samurai 2. In retrospect, I did a lot of things wrong when flying initially - starting with flying overpowered for my very limited ability a the time. The wind must have been approximately 18 to 20 mph and possibly gusting to 22 or 25 mph based on my experience now (I didn't own a wind meter at the time but did pick up a Hemet just a few days before from Ebay). A big mistake, and lessons have been learnt. After the setup and checking of the lines I was ready.

The kite was sitting directly in the window but I was confident I could handle it (how very, very wrong), expecting to get a scud out of the initial launch. I released the brakes and gave the handles a pull and the Samurai 2 just launched immediately, filling all the cells within a second and in the time it had lifted a few meters I was already being dragged along with no hope of stopping. Adrenaline turned to fear and instead of placing the kite in the outer window to gain control - I didn't commit either way and I must have been taken some 40 meters before deploying the killers. This reduced the panic but I was still being dragged (by now, along the floor) and unable to recover my footing - it all stopped when my friend realized that I was in trouble and grabbed the kite, closing the cell inlets. Wow! I was completely shocked at the sheer raw power the Samurai had. It was massive and after that first and incompetent attempt I seriously doubted that I would keep the 4m version and was thinking about down grading immediately. Needless to say, I called it a day and was just happy that myself and nobody else got injured in any way. This first experience with the Samurai 2 did have a positive effect in removing any arrogance I had about any form of power kiting ability I thought I had acquired. It instilled respect for the wind and flying safety that is always paramount when ever I fly now.

So, let move on by 10 to 12 months and I was glad I didn't downgrade in size. I now have confidence in flying the Samurai 2 in a way that I had with my beginner kite - the Sting. I find that the Samurai 2 flies in such a stable manner and responds immediately to control input that I can fly pretty confidently in 15 to 20 mph and really enjoy the excitement of it - pulling off pendulum jumps in high winds with 5 to 6 feet height and with smooth, fairly floaty landings - it does take work to achieve it though as the Samurai 2 is designed for traction and reduced lift. (any abrupt returns to earth and the the only injury I've had from flying the Samurai 2 are due to my inadequacy at re-directing the kite properly). The way it handles gusts is superb - as the two largest central cells are sealed it retains total shape and stability when they hit, maybe slightly over flying to accommodate the extra speed and settling back to stationary once the gust has been 'processed'. Even when taking it to the outer edges of the wind window I experience no luffing unless putting at ridiculous angles to the wind and have never experienced a bow-tie in flight. The acceleration when putting the kite in the power zone is smooth rather than popping and gives me confidence to really fly the kite dynamically. It has to be the easiest launching kite I have flown - with a smooth flight straight to zenith then obediently waiting - even in lumpy winds - for the next control input. Once again the central cell closures perform brilliantly providing stable flight and maintaining inflation ( I also think this looks fantastic - giving the Samurai 2 a rather aggressive style).

To conclude, I have found this kite to be perfect. It performs to such a high level that it has my total respect in both performance and design. Even with the release of the new Cult from Ozone, I think that the Samurai 2 design is contemporary and deserves to sit right along side it as a current model rather than be super seeded by it.
      By : FireForEffect
    • By johnk1600949568
      Bit of background on me first, I alway find that I can relate to a review better if I know a bit about who's writing it.

I've been flying foil kites for four or five years, starting with a super 10, then two super 10's stacked etc. It was only last summer that I started flying four line kites when a friend of mine bought a Rage 2.5 and a buggy. Suffice to say that a few spins round a local beach and I was hooked!

Since then I've been buggying about as much as I can! I'm still by no means an expert but I can pull a mean power-slide and tend to laugh rather than panic when I do end up getting dragged down the beach on my face!

I've spent HOURS trawling the internet looking at reviews, then HOURS trawling ebay looking for kites and buggies. I ended up with the following quiver (chosen by low price, ease of use, and other reviews):

Rage 2.5
      Bullet 3.5, 4.5 and 5.5
      Wide Axle Flexi buggy

These are all great kites which I'd highly recommend to anyone starting out like I've been, you just can't go wrong with a Bullet and the Rage 2.5 is awesome on high wind days (25-30mph).

I'm not here to talk about them though...

On my ebay quest I came across a second hand 5m Yakuza . I'd read a lot about Ozone kites, and Yaks in particular, but I didn't know anyone who owned anything other than Flexis. I couldn't resist.

When it arrived in the post the £140 I won it for looked like a bargain. The build quality is excellent, very neatly stitched and the minimalist white bridle makes it feel more like an instrument than a tool when compared to the bullets. Think scalpel... not steak knife.

The first time I flew it was in a nearby field in almost no wind (3-5mphish) . As soon as it got some speed behind it I was wrenched off my feet and landed about 5yds away while the kite lost power and dropped like a feather to the ground.

Riiiiiight...

Take 2 was a lot more successful. I started steering it on the breaks rather than the mainlines (years of two line kiting teaches bad habits), and the kite responded beautifully with bags of power all over the sky, but as soon as I flew it out of the window it collapsed and fell to the ground. I couldn't wait to get it to the beach.

This weekend was perfect. I spent most of Saturday rocketing around on Rhosneigr beach with the 2.5. A few OBEs but nothing painful (I'm a great believer that if you don't get O of your B at some point then you're not trying hard enough!).

Sunday was going to be more of a chillout day as the wind was a lot lower, so off we went to our favourite beach with a few other non kiting friends, not really thinking about the wind too much. When we got there it was about 10 mph and coming in at 45 degrees to the beach. After an hour or so of messing around with the 4.5 bullet and my mate's Rage 4.7 (both of which were well underpowered) I reckoned it was time to give the yak a try. I don't mind telling you I was a bit nervous as it was a lot windier than last time I'd flown it. There was no need to be.

In the buggy it was a lot easier to fly! Your relative wind stops the kite flying out of the window and collapsing all the time, it just means it has a much bigger wind window than other kites I've flown. With the Flexis we'd been struggling to go along the beach because of the angle the wind was coming in at, with the yak it was no problem. I shot off past my mate at what felt like straight into the wind, just tweaking the breaks a bit for a little extra power.

Before I knew it I was right down the far end of the beach (about 1 3/4 miles away), I did a big sweeping down-turn to head back the other way (feeling pretty confident by now see 😉 The kite pulled hard in the turn and I shot round in a huge power slide...

Brilliant!!!!

Big mistake.

The wind was lighter at that end of the beach and with no relative wind through the turn my lack of experience showed me up in a big way. the kite shot straight out of the window and collapsed... straight in to a big pool of water. None of my bullets ever does that!

A mile and three quarters is a long way to walk carrying your buggy and wearing full waterproof gear, trust me.

In summary: Great kite, very nicely made, pulls really hard in the lightest of winds and actually gets easier to fly the faster you go! If there's a better choice for a first race kite then I'd like to know what it is (please!)

BUT

Not for beginners, and even competent fliers will need to concentrate at all times, the reward however, is high.

By : johnk
    • By emgi1600949562
      I bought this kite second-hand from ebay (of course!) after reading about Ozone's quality. Being a fan of Flexifoil I was interested to compare the two and see what the fuss was about. I'm not yet into kiteboarding or buggying and find anything over 3.5m very scary so the size seemed about right.

The kite comes in a drawstring bag - nothing very substantial but big enough to store the kite easily and fit in a stake (not included). I found the bag became a kite of it's own in strong winds if not packed away somewhere (cue me running like a loon across the field after it!)

My kite is the blue and white version - on opening up the first thing that struck me was the obvious build quality. This kite oozes strength and quality. The orange and green colour coded bridles seemed a little strange after the usual blue and red of Flexifoil. Had to untangle previous owner's attempt at winding lines, reattach etc.

The handles are much shorter than Flexifoils but I loved the neoprene covering, and they suited my hands very well. I've not had a chance for a prolonged session yet (bah winter weather) but I like the design. No kite killers! For such a powerful kite (forget the size, this little beauty pulls!) I would think killers are necessary and I have now bought some. This little kite pulled my 20st boyfriend off his feet first time he flew it (mind you it was near gale force at the time!)

As for flight, well I can safely say I'm an Ozone convert....it flies like a dream. I think the most obvious difference was how smoothly it skims through the sky (like butter). It's very powerful - loads more pull than a Flexi 2.4 Sting. Tight turns, really fast and responsive. In higher winds it's got considerable pull and due to it's speed was at times quite scary! I'd recommend this kite for anyone wanting a smaller kite for higher winds who has lightening speed responses and a big grin is definitely guaranteed!
      By : emgi