Kiting in Scotland

jhn.holgate

There's an island off the coast of Scotland that seems to have a beach for every wind direction.  The island is Tiree - looks like it get a few visits from the kitesurfing crowd and the occasional landboard and buggier.  Here's a vid from Stef and Ewen that incorporates a bit of buggying, a bit of landboarding and some nice post card shots from around the island.  There's a few interesting looking places to kite in Scotland - I'll put a few more up here from time to time and if you know of any yourself - feel free to add them.  I don't know what it is about Scotland, but it's one of the few places I'm drawn to visit.

I also remember watching a Martin Clunes doco about the islands around Scotland and he did some kite buggying on Eigg.

Google Maps - Tiree

I enjoyed both those videos. Alasdair Macleod (PKF) is from the Isle of Lewis, maybe you could meet up with him. Probably second windiest place after Antarctica. I know this because I often listen to the shipping forecast while working through the night and there is nearly always a storm warning of somekind, especially this time of year.

Last week 110mph, this week gusts of 90mph.

15 hours ago, jhn.holgate said:

There's an island off the coast of Scotland that seems to have a beach for every wind direction.  The island is Tiree - looks like it get a few visits from the kitesurfing crowd and the occasional landboard and buggier.  Here's a vid from Stef and Ewen that incorporates a bit of buggying, a bit of landboarding and some nice post card shots from around the island.  There's a few interesting looking places to kite in Scotland - I'll put a few more up here from time to time and if you know of any yourself - feel free to add them.  I don't know what it is about Scotland, but it's one of the few places I'm drawn to visit.

I also remember watching a Martin Clunes doco about the islands around Scotland and he did some kite buggying on Eigg.

Google Maps - Tiree

Very cool vibe on this vid. Loved the music as it so perfectly matched the mood of the story. I for one am darn glad I feel.... the wind!  Thanks for the post. 

I've buggied on Barra - the island airport is on the beach of a massive bay and used at low tide for the airport. When the flag is down you are allowed to buggy there - fantastic. Then there are a number of beaches that are also beautiful white sand, here's a shot from 2009 riding on Traigh Eais - across the dune from the airport.

My girlfriend lives on the beach at Broughty Ferry so when I head over from Canada I get to ride out her front door if the wind is a good direction but it's about 20 - 30 min drive to St Andrews and then north to Lunan bay and many other spots. Good thing there I keep a buggy at here place as well to use when I'm over - ahh I mean the buggy I bought for her :wink3:
Mark (Markite)

DSC_2139_lo.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello laddie and lassie 

I'm from the wee lsland of the North westcoast of Scotland. It's called the Isle of Lewis.  Got message from John Holgate on PKF .  Redsky is right it can be a wee bit wild at this time of year up here's! Isle of Lewis And Isle of Harris are one island part of the Outer Hebrides. There's great beach here between both Lewis and Harris.  You will probably have the beaches too yourself.  Here's a link to Isle of Barra kiting 

http://www.barrapowerkiting.co.uk/kitingactivities.htm

another great info is SPKA have a look. 

http://www.spka.org/locations

Edited by Awfully Wee Magnus
Forgot stuff

1 hour ago, Awfully Wee Magnus said:

You will probably have the beaches too yourself.  Here's a link to Isle of Barra kiting 

Thanks for the link and welcome aboard!  Possibly the last thing I think of when I think of Scotland is beaches (personally, I blame 'Highlander' for that.  But it does have some very nice beaches, some of which remind me a bit of Esperance in Western Australia...

Img_9967.jpg

Img_0378.jpg

1 hour ago, the_hatman OBE said:

well come and how's The We Big Hag

Thank's the_hatman OBE 

Sssssh she's a sleep! 

32 minutes ago, jhn.holgate said:

Thanks for the link and welcome aboard!  Possibly the last thing I think of when I think of Scotland is beaches (personally, I blame 'Highlander' for that.  But it does have some very nice beaches, some of which remind me a bit of Esperance in Western Australia...

Img_9967.jpg

Img_0378.jpg

Your beaches are a hell off lot bigger than the wee one's here. 

Bugger can't get too posted photo's!!!

Edited by Awfully Wee Magnus
Can't work out how to post photo's

37 minutes ago, the_hatman OBE said:

13_GulfstreamG650_sn6015_e1.jpg

Gulfstream Aerospace G650 AN2224812.jpg

Ha ha, we used to have these "Soda streams"  (they would always hiccup) servicing Esperance, but were too unreliable so were changed over to turbo prop Fokker 50's and soon to be dropped back to 32 seat Saab 340s.

I was completely wrong about your water temp. I whinge about a sea temp of 20 degrees this time of year. Down to 16 in winter. 

5 hours ago, Awfully Wee Magnus said:

Bugger can't get too posted photo's!!!

You can drag and drop .jpg files straight off your desktop  to the 'drag files here' note at the bottom of the reply box.  Or you can hit 'choose files' and select them from your computer.  If they're on the web, you can just right click and select 'copy photo' then just paste into your reply.

If you turn up on the beach and it's an off shore - just drag the buggy across to the other side...

hia__1269253192_both-beaches.jpg

5 hours ago, jhn.holgate said:

You can drag and drop .jpg files straight off your desktop  to the 'drag files here' note at the bottom of the reply box.  Or you can hit 'choose files' and select them from your computer.  If they're on the web, you can just right click and select 'copy photo' then just paste into your reply.

If you turn up on the beach and it's an off shore - just drag the buggy across to the other side...

hia__1269253192_both-beaches.jpg

Right John Holgate. 

I'm using my smartphone because my laptop is buggered. 

So that's probably why I can't post photo's.  

7 hours ago, the_hatman OBE said:

13_GulfstreamG650_sn6015_e1.jpg

Gulfstream Aerospace G650 AN2224812.jpg

Hahaha the_hatman OBE 

I walked into that with both feet!

:-D 

6 hours ago, Chook said:

Ha ha, we used to have these "Soda streams"  (they would always hiccup) servicing Esperance, but were too unreliable so were changed over to turbo prop Fokker 50's and soon to be dropped back to 32 seat Saab 340s.

I was completely wrong about your water temp. I whinge about a sea temp of 20 degrees this time of year. Down to 16 in winter. 

What's a jet engine?  Hahaha. 

Saab 340 plane are what we have to fly in to get to the mainland.  

A sea temp of 16 c in winter you lucky bugger!!!!!!!!!! 

On 07/02/2016 at 0:19 AM, jhn.holgate said:

Google Maps - Tiree

Here's another good beach in the Isle of Harris you my like called Shelibost on the westside of Harris.  

Here's a link 

http://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/see-and-do/seilebost-p523941

One in Lewis called Ardroil beach in Uig when the tides out it a mile of sand to the sea 

Here's a link 

http://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/see-and-do/ardroil-sands-p523951

11 minutes ago, Awfully Wee Magnus said:

Here's another good beach in the Isle of Harris you my like called Shelibost on the westside of Harris.  

Very nice - 

Seilebost

That reminds me of Cape LeGrand in Western Australia...

13 minutes ago, Awfully Wee Magnus said:

One in Lewis called Ardroil beach in Uig when the tides out it a mile of sand to the sea

Beautiful!

Ardroil Sands