New single skin kite from Ozone for 2019 called the "Explore". It will be available in 4, 6, 9 & 12m and looks to be aimed as direct competition to the FS Peak.

Manufacturer's blurb:

"The new Explore by Ozone has something to offer for everyone. Consistent pull through the wind window, instant de-power, minimal upward lift, relatively slow flying speed, and damage-resistant single surface design make the Explore an amazing kite for entry level and intermediate riders. Advanced riders can push the boundaries - tight and dynamic or slow lazy loops can navigate difficult terrain while excellent drift allows riding down slopes without worring about the kite. For experts the lightweight design means it can fly in very light wind, allowing you to work the low end efficiently without having to worry about keeping the kite in the sky. The proven Re-Ride System means you can land the kite quickly and safely."

I was thinking of getting the 12m Shaman 2 as a low wind engine but it looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit now.

https://ozonekites.com/products/land-snow-kites/explore-v1/

https://vimeo.com/293139314

explore.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 6 and 9 . Love the 6 but 9 doesn't suit as they are for sand dune only buggying and want a faster turn speed. Dunes are tight here. I'm going to trade 9 back for a 4 mtr. As far as power, awesome. Low end grunt is good. Good wind range and depower. Been using modded PL singles for a couple of years but now want depower.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea it's a good spot but There's a group of people here that hate dirt bikes and dune buggies and have fenced the main dune .I've been going in still and can't see the harm I'm doing , no spinning wheels , no noise , no damage.  Try telling them to look at what the wind can do in an hour. They drive around in there beach patrol Suzuki Jeep. Think they are after me.  Now I head way up beach and they still watching. Do you have issues in oz like this

13 minutes ago, winddrifter said:

Yea it's a good spot but There's a group of people here that hate dirt bikes and dune buggies and have fenced the main dune .I've been going in still and can't see the harm I'm doing , no spinning wheels , no noise , no damage.  Try telling them to look at what the wind can do in an hour. They drive around in there beach patrol Suzuki Jeep. Think they are after me.  Now I head way up beach and they still watching. Do you have issues in oz like this

Ya just ask the kiters at Stockton Beach, NSW, Australia. On long weekends the beach is a like a scene from a Max Scene due to cars being allowed on the beach. Then the rangers tell the kiters to go away from the beach and or the dunes. Go figure.

• .Joel featured this topic
On 12/26/2018 at 3:56 AM, SoutherlyBuster said:

Ya just ask the kiters at Stockton Beach, NSW, Australia. On long weekends the beach is a like a scene from a Max Scene due to cars being allowed on the beach. Then the rangers tell the kiters to go away from the beach and or the dunes. Go figure.

I just don't get that mentality eh ... "Look a pristine stretch of nature unsullied by civilization ... let's drive our cars up and down it because the roads just aren't enough."

• 2 weeks later...
  • .Joel unfeatured this topic
  • 1 year later...

On 12/3/2018 at 6:34 PM, winddrifter said:

I've got a 6 and 9 . Love the 6 but 9 doesn't suit as they are for sand dune only buggying and want a faster turn speed. Dunes are tight here. I'm going to trade 9 back for a 4 mtr. As far as power, awesome. Low end grunt is good. Good wind range and depower. Been using modded PL singles for a couple of years but now want depower.

Hi Winddrifter, still happy with them?  A mate has put them on his shortlist as his son's first depower for landboarding after he blew up the cells in their trainer kite :D 

ozone_explore_v1_kite_001.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_002.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_003.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_004.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_005.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_006.jpg

ozone_explore_v1_kite_007.jpg

• .Joel changed the title to Ozone Explore Kite

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By MADB1600949557
      Ozone imp 05 M.

This is ozone's 1.5m 2 line beginner / fun kite. I bought this kite basically to fill in time when the wind was really mad and as a cool down kite after a hard session on the bigger kites, Oh yah and so the girl friend can have a go...

What you get is the kite, lines and strap handles all in a small stuff sack. The handles, lines and bridles are all colour coded red and black but the kite comes ready to fly any way. The lines come attached to the handles and bridles, which are held in place by a small Velcro tab on the inside off one of the centre cells.

I thought this was a bit odd as 4 line kite generally have this sort tab on the trailing edge any way the kite. Very well made, light weight, stitched bridles, I went for the red and black colour looks the great, the whole package is of a very high standard just what you would expect form ozone. The only fault I can fine is theirs no padding on the handle straps.

Flying the imp dose not disappoint its great fun , fast and agile. After flying a 5m samurai and then flying the imp, its like trying to keep up with possessed wasp. The wind range is quite good starting to fly in about 8mph but really get going in the 13-15mph winds , when it zips around the wind window at a far rate, performing fast turns and spines and it makes a great noise, sort of like the two stroke RS 125 of kites The most surprising thing about the imp is the pull, yes it has some. I had the imp out in horrible gusty winds ranging from 10 to about 25 mph. Fist thing is, its surprising how well the kite handles these conditions and the second is the scruds, around 25mph mark this little kite was pulling my 182Kg for 2 meter scuds, truly a fun kite.

I will be replacing the handles for some padded ones as my soft girlie hands where killing after that session.

For a simple introduction into power kiting or if you are looking for some fun in the big winds then you will not be disappointed., but then "ozone do make the best kites in the world".

By : MADB
    • By terra1600949557
      I bought this kite a couple of months ago after walking into the local kite shop wanting new lines for my battered Rhombus Thunderbird. I was gently guided toward the idea of 4 line flying, mainly owing to potential for lone flying and reverse launching.

One brief try on the beach and I was hooked, scudding across the sand, feeling power I'd never felt before with my other kite. Closer inspection showed the Fury to be especially well made, even to my inexperienced eye, the lines were high quality and thoughtfully colour coded to differentiate between the leader and brake lines and the right and left sides. Apparently the handles are amongst the best available, having no previous handles to compare them with I couldn't say, however they are extremely comfortable but quite difficult to push forward to activate the brake kines in stronger winds. (Although I may have been flying in winds somewhat in excess of the recommended maximum).

Following a few weeks practicing I've found out how to do brake turns; place the kite at the edge of the wind window; always use kite killers and never try and launch the kite in 63Km/hr wind. In high winds this kite has a phenomonel pull, despite it's small size, I find it difficult to imagine flying a kite with an area in double figures.

I've recently began landboarding and the Fury is quite adequate for my present needs, although a kite capable of handling lower winds will doubtless be necessary as the seasons progress. During a session with very poor wind a few days ago - gusts varying from 0 to around 5mph, the kite struggled badly, luffing at the edge of the window and falling from the sky frequently, I shortened the leader lines as far as possible, slackening the brake lines and it became a different kite, with a bit of working it flew consistently and even managed a bit of pull in the power zone. Must remeber to reverse things when the winds pick up.

The kite does not seem to have much in the way of lift, although this may be more due to my lack of experience rather than any shortcoming on the kite's part.

This has been quite a difficult review to write, having no other comparable experience, as far as I am concerned this kite has been a steep learning curve with more than the occasional heart-quickening moment, not least the early experience of being dragged helplessly toward the sea with the brake lines rendered inoperative by an uncontrollably spinning kite. (My own fault for launching the kite with a tangled bridle). Big thanks to the kite surfer who rescued the sodden sheet of nylon from the briny.

I realise there are cheaper beginners kites on the market but I certainly wasn't robbed buying the Fury and would wholeheartedly recommend it to other tyro kiters. Just check the wind speed before you unpack, it's had me scudding while at the zenith, dipping into the power zone resulted in a head first drag across the sand until the kite killers kicked in.

If you want a 'beginners'kite which won't be relegated to the strong wind days only pile or the something for the kids to mess about bag, buy the Fury it won't disappoint.
      By : terra
    • By RaceKites
      Having brought a Blade II 4.9m and thought perhaps I ought to learn to fly a smaller kite first before I take the Blade out, I brought myself an Ozone Imp05 1.0 m as a trainer kite.
      The kite comes in a neat little stuff bag, just adequate for the kite to be parapacked. The flying lines are quite heavy for the size of kite, but this isn't a problem. The handles are fine for the job, although have heard on the larger Imps they can be uncomfortable. The kite itself is as you would expect, very well made, and if you parapack can be out of the stuff bag and in the air in around 30 seconds, excellent.
      Being a two line kite it is easier to launch with an assistant to help, although not impossible on your own. Reverse launching, in the true sense, is obviously impossible, although if its blowing a gale the kite seems to sort itself out and gets itself in the air.
      This kite is a little beauty to learn. It is very stable, has a large window and can be very acrobatic great fun. It's great for learning the figure of eights across the window, tempting it ever lower to the ground. Within minutes of flying it you will learn basics and can very quickly be able to move on to larger kites.
      My 6 year old Son has become very proficient little flyer with this kite. Although very frustrating on our first outing with him crashing it into the ground within seconds of launch, he now flies it with ease only bringing it down for a rest. The kite seems to have some lift and has had my son off the ground for small hops in brisk winds, as well as drag around the field when taken into the power zone.
      In conclusion this is an excellent trainer kite, great for letting friends have ago and great for the Kids. I would definitely recommend this kite, and when the wind is blowing really hard I still get the kite out as this is when it becomes great fun, you need to have quick reactions as this kite is quick and it pulls with quite some force.
      By : ldc85620