Kite buggy in victoria

Gaston Durand

Hi experts, years ago I did some kite buggying in Elwood and thirteenth beach. I am coming back to buggying. Where are the good places to kite buggy in Victoria. Are the videos at Sandy Point on the front beach off beach parade or on Shallow inlet. I appreciate any guidance from your experiences. I am thinking of getting a 4 metre Ozone Explore V2, is it a good kite.

Videos you see are from both, it depends on the wind direction.  
Anything SE to SW in it will be the main beach, anything from NW to E will be on the inlet.

Hit up @nigel he was planning a trip down there and maybe wake up @bakersdozen.

@igeighty doesn't fly anything with more than 1 line, so you're a bit out of luck there 🤡

If you've power kited before and were comfortable with it, I'd probably go with a 6M or 8M Ozone Explore, the 4M is going to be more of a storm kite.

I fly with fixed bridle kites. That is with two handles. Each controlling two lines. Front and brakes.

the ozone explore and most (all?) fly surfers are flown with a bar control method. 

it depends what you want to fly really. Or can already fly ? I admit I tried to fly a depower (bar) fllysurfer sonic. I bought it an thought you beaut. How hard could it be.. well I could not get my head around it. 30 of years of two and four line power kites just trained me the wrong way. I could launch and land the sucker for sure, but my brain wouldn’t let me fly it. I couldn’t get past the ‘it’s not got four lines’ 

I passed it to a friend :) who instantly tamed it and pegged 70+ kph. 

TLDR handles versus bar.. I think most kites these days will be bar only ? Not sure of anyone but flexifoil selling fixed bridle kites anymore.

another mate fly bar kites and nothing else.

whatever you fly. Just send it!

and yes I am keen to head to a beach. Time to ignite the old crew ?

Ahh right, That makes sense.

I also learnt to fly using fixed bridle but then made the switch to bigger kites with d-power. Now after a 7 year hiatus from buggying I've found that I've lost all my confidence in flying bigger kites using d-power and because I fly alone these days I have safety concerns with flying larger d-power kites.
So I figured to regain my confidence in flying d-power I should look for a small d-power kite to relearn and to regain my confidence before moving up in kite size.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I have not flown for a few years, sold my foils, kept the buggy and two stunt kites attached to each other which I flew on thirteenth beach a few weeks ago at moderate speed getting my confidence back. Only two lines, simple, moderate speed perfect for me. I saw the Ozone Explore V2 on utube. Single skin and the tips not folding and thought could be ok, the bar will be new to me! thanks for the advice the 6 mtr will be better. It appears that only kite power from Sydney sells these!

On 3/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, Eluder said:

Ahh right, That makes sense.

I also learnt to fly using fixed bridle but then made the switch to bigger kites with d-power. Now after a 7 year hiatus from buggying I've found that I've lost all my confidence in flying bigger kites using d-power and because I fly alone these days I have safety concerns with flying larger d-power kites.
So I figured to regain my confidence in flying d-power I should look for a small d-power kite to relearn and to regain my confidence before moving up in kite size.

Handles or bar? Both sets of equipment have a safety mechanism where you can completely lose all power from the kite.  The bar will have a "quick release" of the power lines and the kite will behave like a plastic bag in the wind.  Handles will have "kite killers".

In either case, the first thing you should do is to become familiar with the safety! Then you can fly with the confidence that you can easily get out out of any situation.

And practice using the safety when you can, so that your confidence in the equipment grows.

BobM

• 1 month later...

The videos with NASA stars show these are stable kites which make me think that these are excellent and good value for money. Would a NASA Star4 in 4 or even 5.5 metres be good choices. Would I need at least a 5.5 metres. I have reorganised my Peter Lynn buggy and put a Kayak Seat “Seak”, tied to the side rails with steel hose clamps, once the straps are adjusted correctly, It feels much better, with a good back rest, a bit on the side which stabilises the body.