Perth Buggers...

gum-nuts

I have a plastic shopping bag you could borrow. Or a small kite even.

PMSL - I have some bags!

Looking more doable for Sunday morning, just need it to decide on which site to use depending on the direction, may even get to try out the 2.7 vapor in the buggy :clapping: .

Have a good time in Margaret River.

post-7343-14336631963344_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We had some nice wind on Saturday. Our first warm weekend, warm winds are so much smoother to fly in.

I had a couple of hours at Tompkins park in the buggy. This was the first time in the buggy for several months. I had a lot of fun, grass is quite tricky to buggy on, as you need to keep powered up at all times or you will stop. I was probably a bit underpowered with the 3m Flow and would stop often, but then whenever I turned and put the kite across the power zone I would get a big burst of power. I even went up on two wheels a few times.

I also had a chance to play with a couple of new toys. Including what is now my favourite kite. :crazypilot:

post-8816-14336632095108_thumb.jpg.jpg]

I had a couple of hours in the buggy Sunday morning, started with no wind but it gradually built through the morning - soon had the 5m flying and even got to play with the 2.7m vapor (which was seriously under powered!). But great to have a decent run. Just trying to get the video on to youtube!

I must say Winter wasnt too bad this year, went out kiting quite a bit and tryd out many parks and ovals some were good some just frustrating..also the few very stormy days were awesome fun with the 4m Access. Had a not so good day yesterday though at Melville park. Everything was beautiful, good wind, kite well powered up. After about half an hour some random old dude stopped me, told me to land my kite and then told me off. :mad: I askd him what the problem was and he said there are no kites allowed at Melville park coz apparently the park is a bird sanctuary and kites look like birds of prey to the birds there. Well that was the end of a nice kite day. Im going to contact the Melville council soon and will ask if that is true, coz im kiting there for 3 years now and never had any issues. Checked it out online but couldnt find a thing saying that the park is a bird sanctuary. WAKSA say the bird sanctuary is on the east side of the park, where the trees are theres no kitesurfing allowed..but the whole open space a bird sanctuary??? :dontknow: Sounds strange to me..hope not coz this was my fav spot on a NNE or SSW.. :goplay:

Haven't been in WA, but over at my local in VIC we are right next to a bird sanctuary, the Cheatham Wet lands. Obviously we can not kite in the wetlands but Port Phillip Bay borders it and never had problems kiting there. We meet up with all sorts of birds during the water and land action, Pellicans, birds of prey, gulls, the list goes on --- never have a problem. Just need to watch out with the bigger birds that they don't cross your lines, easy enough to avoid.

We also have the occational dog walker that claims we can't kite, but it's all none-sense and promptly ignore him.

Good luck with seeing what the council says.

Regards,

Norman.

You will always get a stick in the mud ......

Often people THINK they know what the law says...... But don't, it just suits their point of view. I get this endlessly with noise regulations and working ( I'm in construction) and you are allowed to start at 7am here, people abuse me at 8 am ..... Well bad luck !!!!!

My usual response is ...... I'm happy to comply with all the local regulations, if you can show me them in writing ?..... :boredom:

Having said that there are times where it's just as easy to go to another park we had this recently with a cricket club saying they'd spent 30k on the grounds..... Just quietly they were BS but it was easier to go to a bigger park anyway.

Summer is on it's way, :good:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/docs/KiteFlyer_ATTADALE.pdf

He may have been right, to an extent.

From the picture in the above link the exclusion zone is to the west of the dog park.

There is a lot of discussion on seabreeze, but it is all focussed on the water

On chronological order

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/Attadale-Foreshore/

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Western-Australia/Attadale-Foreshore-why-not/

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/Attadale-and-Wally-Kiters/

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/Attadale-Foreshore-2/

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/ranger-danger/

From reading those threads I am even more confused.

Maybe this is the best way to understand

1223178.jpg

Basically, if dogs are allowed there, why would kites not be?

From the management plan

http://www.melvillecity.com.au/environm ... shland.pdf

The Conservation Area

The eastern extent of the Conservation area is bordered by the western boundary of the

water corporation reserve opposite Roberts Road, west along Burke Drive to a point

opposite the boundary of numbers 32 and 34 Burke Drive. The shared use path on the

northern edge defines the boundary between the Swan River Marine Estuary and

adjoining Nature Reserve. This area will be managed for the purposes of conservation

and protection of existing vegetation and ongoing restoration activities to reduce

weeds, improve biodiversity of wildlife and vegetation. There will be no restriction to

community use in this area, however users will be encouraged to support the

conservation ethos of the area.

Don't say much about kite restrictions......

As I said previously, it should be in writing somewhere?.... I couldn't find it.

From the management plan

http://www.melvillecity.com.au/environm ... shland.pdf

The Conservation Area

The eastern extent of the Conservation area is bordered by the western boundary of the

water corporation reserve opposite Roberts Road, west along Burke Drive to a point

opposite the boundary of numbers 32 and 34 Burke Drive. The shared use path on the

northern edge defines the boundary between the Swan River Marine Estuary and

adjoining Nature Reserve. This area will be managed for the purposes of conservation

and protection of existing vegetation and ongoing restoration activities to reduce

weeds, improve biodiversity of wildlife and vegetation. There will be no restriction to

community use in this area, however users will be encouraged to support the

conservation ethos of the area.

Don't say much about kite restrictions......

As I said previously, it should be in writing somewhere?.... I couldn't find it.

Well that says it all..on page 16 it is clearly stated that kite flying is not restricted..

Thanks for the link Clive :drinks: i might sleep better now.. :D

regards

alex

Print yourself off a copy , highlight the bit on page 16 , plus the bit I posted before, and next time you bump in to mr dog walker, you can politely inform him of the actual requirements. Just keep a copy in your kit...JOB DONE!

Politely being the actual way to do it, it's always best to keep calm with these things on the day,

Im gonna head down to the salt lake early Sunday morning i think, looks like a nice relaxing low wind day to start the season, good so im getting used to the Matrixx, havent had the chance to fly it much lately.. :crazypilot:

not enough wind for me...

post-7343-14336632153759_thumb.jpg

and potentially going to be pretty soggy down there after the rain this week and today's storms. :cray: The couple of times I have been down there the surface was dry, as we had been having a fair bit of sun, but I think it's like a sponge and holds it for a long time.

But if the wind had been decent I would of seen you there...

Had a nice start at the lake today, was there from 7 to 10, not much wind maybe 3-5 knots, just enough to cruise around with the 15m, even enough to do some small jumps whenever i was able to build up enough speed. :D Surface wasnt dry totally at some spots but not soggy..much smoother now coz all the holes from the land yachts are washed away.. :good: might head down again 2mrw late morning before the next showers set in.. :crazypilot:

Btw i have a PL Twister 7.7, bought it a few years ago with intention to use it with the landboard, only used it a handful of times though before i switched to depower foils. It spent the last few years in the boot of my car, if anyone wants to have a go with it im sure the kite would be happy to be in the air again.. :)

The Twister was my second foil i bought after the trainer, didnt know much about the kite and kiting in general, had it out in quite moderate, 'dirty'winds, on a bar coz i dont have handles for it. I must admid sometimes it was hard to stay on the ground it has quite a bit lift, turning was abit slow coz i couldnt use the brakes with the bar and it tended to overfly but that was probl more coz of my poor flying skills or bad trimming. :dontknow: I find it builds up speed very quickly, never got lofted though..maybe i was just lucky?! :eek: