Perth Buggers...

gum-nuts

Interesting morning, yesterday, down at the salt lake. 3 hours of no wind followed by a very short hour when there was enough to get the buggy moving. Met Bones down there and gave him another go in the buggy.

The new belly pan was good, but did drag occasionally so had a play with that yesterday arvo so will hopefully be better next time out.

Also had a play with the Core.

Wednesday morning is looking good and so is the early forecast for Sunday, but it is going to be stinking hot! And I'm working Wednesday!

Came home red faced, literally, as I had forgotten any sun-cream as it was overcast! Won't forget again!

Hi gum-nuts,

We both got sunburned as well, the wife even after applying sunscreen. One thing I noticed in my time in your buggy was that the belly pan was scraping the ground quite a lot, I presume that I weigh a bit more than you, so that may have affected the clearance of the buggy.

Once again, thanks for the buggy time.

I'm still looking at heading down there Sunday Morning, wind is still looking good, 30kph, but the direction is now more of a southerly. Looking at some speed runs with the new 3m Core - aiming to finally crack the 60kph barrier.

Probably won't be getting down there quiet as early, but still hoping for 7.30-8ish :crazypilot:

Very different down at the salt lake this morning, unlike last week when I attempted para-gliding with a 3m kite 

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16232

Started off with my 5m flow, it was never going to be a record breaking day but the wind was consistent, if a bit light, so just enjoyed cruising around and some big slides. Then the wind picked up a bit so put the flow away and pulled out the 3m core.

Where the flow is like a sponge and soaks up the gusts, the core is like a magnet and seems to attract them and keeps going faster and harder. After my attempt at flight last week, I needed to rebuild my confidence so stayed unhooked and gradually started pushing harder, building my speed on the runs, but ensuring I was in control the whole time. The surface down there is just excellent for sliding! Managed to stay in the buggy - but did attempt some freestyle, had a brief two wheeled power slide!

Still loving the core, but where as I can fly the flow without really thinking, the core is still taking a lot of concentration - mind you I have only flown it 3 or 4 times.

Then the core floated gently to the ground as the wind dropped off again, away it went and out came the 5m. Had another 1/2 hour of short runs and big slides (I'll be glad on the 1st March when the model airplanes are relegated back to an area near the entrance and I can have the whole lake back - selfish I know!). The kite was taking a lot of work to maintain any decent momentum so took the opportunity to fly back up to near the car park, rather than having to walk it!

Gum nuts, can I assume your banned from leaving your family in the late afternoons in your attempts to find buggy nivarna.

The seabreeze is so good down there, I know it's a bit hot but have found the best time to be on your lake or mine is around 5 pm onwards.The heat drops off and the breeze is consistant an strong. (especially your end of the world). I buggy right up to dark and don't haveto compete with model airplanes, blowcarts or landyachts.

regards Shane

Gum nuts, can I assume your banned from leaving your family in the late afternoons in your attempts to find buggy nivarna.

The seabreeze is so good down there, I know it's a bit hot but have found the best time to be on your lake or mine is around 5 pm onwards.The heat drops off and the breeze is consistant an strong. (especially your end of the world). I buggy right up to dark and don't haveto compete with model airplanes, blowcarts or landyachts.

regards Shane

Hi Shane,

No not banned, but Sunday mornings are easy for me as the wife and kids go to church! I can get out most evenings except Wednesdays and Sunday's.

If you are heading down one evening give me a shout as would be good to meet up...

They have only got a few more weeks and then no more little planes or land yachts :good:

Mark

Edit: my 100th post!

hi perth buggers are any of you heading to salt lakes at baldivis on weekend i got weekend off and might go for a buggy there if any one going what time and day you going

I am usually down there early Sunday mornings, but at present the forecast isn't looking to good. Sunday arvo is better but the blowkarts and land yachts are down there. Saturday is out for me as we have plans.

Will play it by ear and see how the wind shapes up for Sunday morning, its easy for me as its only 5 minutes from home - so if I wake up and the wind is blowing I will be there!

Hey Trevor, on for sale section under "sportskites and race kites for sale". Jampony has a bunch of PL Vapours. I would make him an offer for the 2.3, 3.8 and the 6.5 if he still has it. It's a shop, and he offers a set of lines (handles)?? with each Vapour.

If I was you, track them down and grab them asap, doa deal for both the small ones at least. Get handles and lines ($500) for the lot including postage.

If he goes for it you have a good deal and the kites will cover you down at safety bay for a long time to come, Vapours are the Bomb!!

The 2.3 was the kite that holds the world record ----138 kms\hr

Goood luck, if you get them you will be stoked.

Regards Shane

• 4 months later...

Only been out once in the last couple of months. Last weekend we went down to Rockingham, checked out Laurie Stanford, but no wind there. No wind in the city, the only place there was wind was the salt lake, so we headed out there for a static fly.

Jo tried out her second hand 2m Beamer, I had to tweek the brakes to get it to fly nice. Did the same to my Reactor. Wind was gusty and changed direction a lot, but at least it was blowing.

Finally got my Guerilla launched properly (it is much easier with a helper). Had a little fun with it, then the depower line snapped. :blackeye:

[edit]

It seems half of this thread is missing?

Only been out once in the last couple of months. Last weekend we went down to Rockingham, checked out Laurie Stanford, but no wind there. No wind in the city, the only place there was wind was the salt lake, so we headed out there for a static fly.

Jo tried out her second hand 2m Beamer, I had to tweek the brakes to get it to fly nice. Did the same to my Reactor. Wind was gusty and changed direction a lot, but at least it was blowing.

Finally got my Guerilla launched properly (it is much easier with a helper). Had a little fun with it, then the depower line snapped. :blackeye:

[edit]

It seems half of this thread is missing?

Does seem some missing! But nice to be back.

Forecast looks lame for this weekend -again! Did have half an hour static on the new vapor yesterday, very nice cant wait to try it the buggy.