Peter Lynn F-Arc 12 or 16 New $120

outlaw

2 hours ago, KaoS said:

It is possible to rebridle these for single line use - see this old post on Peter Lynn's website

http://www.peterlynnkites.com/news/0812news.htm

This was an excellent read.

one section had me saying F-arc! however ;)

"kite with L/D of 6 can accelerate to 120km/hr as it climbs- at which speed, its pull is theoretically 36 times what it will be in steady state flight once it stabilises at apex"

but he works it out by depowering during launch

wow!

22 hours ago, Jason said:

F-arc my kite has bow-tied, F-arc my kite wont water relaunch. So much F-arcing fun

I'd say definitely not a beginners kite. I'm picking mine up in weeks time when Outlaw decends from the Mountains. Funny Jason, I can imagine a lot of that going on if you don't get it exactly right.

23 hours ago, Jason said:

F-arc my kite has bow-tied, F-arc my kite wont water relaunch. So much F-arcing fun

Yep, I still have been able to get my 12m f-arc to fly.

The 16m flys beautifully, but gets scary when the apparent wind builds and the power suddenly kicks in. Then you realise how slow it turns and how the depower doesn't really do anything :eek: 

But if anybody is thinking of buying one, you might as well buy two. So you can do silly things like this... :D 

f-arc 05.jpg

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Northern Kites Australia said:

Gutsy of you @andy666 riding them without a 5-th line. :eek:

They were on a flysurfer bar which is front line safety. Which worked fine, although it could of used a longer bar to help steering.

to my knowledge PL only ever made a 1200 and 1600 f-arc. There are a handful of 900's in the world, which are cut down 1200's. 

Its probably an 1120 s-arc.

2 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

I was going to use the same line flagging system as the later arcs, just let it flag out on one of the front lines. I still have my bar and lines from a Peter Lynn Venom II 13m^2 system, which I intend to use for the FARC1600.

Should work fine. You need at least a 60cm bar though. Don't even try with anything shorter. 

I still have one or two of almost every generation of arc I've owned - even a Hi 6 that has never ever really flown more than a few seconds without collapsing but someday i swear I'll get it to fly. I have a 1200 F arc but you are really twisting my arm on getting a few of the 1600s to play with. I'll shoot you a PM .... if I have enough posts to do a PM...

So I unfurl my crisspy new FARC1600 from it's humble plastic bag onto my front lawn -- FARK this is a long kite, very high aspect ratio. No kite wing tip rods. So I do some google search for fibre glass rods from camping stores, nothing the right length and diameter. So some scrunging around in my garage, hmm some 16mm diameter pine dowels -- perfect, well almost. I had to whittle down the ends to 10mm to fit into the end caps. No kitebar nor lines came with the kite, so some more rumaging around, ripper my old Peter Lynn Venom II 13m^2 bar and lines will do the trick. Next some kite line pig tails were needed. Had a guess of length needed but figured I would leave the adjustments to when I fly it on the beach.

Low tide was at 1730 yesterday afternoon and New Brighton NZ was waiting for me. The wind was onshore 8 to 10 knots. Hmm FARK will I be able to laucn an arc in such low winds? Had the pig tails with same length front and back. Lines all connected, tug and ...... FARK wing tip collapes, ...... FARK turned inside out ...... FARK another bow tie ... some more persevearing and up she was and flying. FARK it flies high in the wind window, will have to make sure it does not over fly. Rear lines were way too slack so I landed the kite and shorten them by 10cm or so. Hopped on my landboard, tug tug .... then the apparent wind kicked in and FARK this kite goes like the clappers. So here I was screeming down the beach, FARK this goes fast and FARK how do I stop it? Slowly bringing it to zenith and steer it back, no worries. I like it :):):) .

Has some wing tip flapping if the rear lines are not pulled in enough. But hey it's old technology but still a good light wind kite. Reckon they should start making these again. Is the best kite for under $100 I ever flew. Turning is a bit slow but still great as a cruising kite, up wind is great.

image.jpg

Regards,

Norman

Nice work norm. They are a powerful kite and something different to fly. I have even heard of guys flying them on handles :eek: 

you can cut the "dog ears" off the the ends of the kite to stop them flapping. I have the mod instructions (and the pigtail lengths) on my computer. I'll try and remember to post them up tonight. 

here you go

pt_Farc.jpg

these pigtail lengths are for an unmodified f-arc (with the dog ears)

This is the flare cut mod. just use scissors and then seal with a soldering iron so it doesn't fray. Just attach the pigtails directly to the spar ends or you can tie a knot in the middle piece of webbing to attach the pig tails. All the pigtails should be equal length measured from the spar.

flare cut.jpg

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 5:05 PM, outlaw said:

Paul in Canada has been doing some cool F-Arc mods, check out the extended 19m in the attachment.

Frank&Stein-CloningARCS-Tips&Tricks.pdf

F1900&F1300.jpg

@outlaw do you have anymore info or can you explain the "coning" that they talk about the pdf, and how it affects the AoA?

Do all arc kites have the same amount of coning or does it change between sizes/models?

It is different for different size kites, the AofA  is usually changed by sewing a full chordwise dart into the front of the kite at the shoulders, more concave LE means less AofA. The attached pics shows how to do the same thing while adding cells.

FrankensteinLabs-HalfCellSplit.jpg

FrankensteinLabs-HostKites.jpg

FrankensteinLabs-ConingComp.jpg

Adding cells can be taken much further...

AR12 Arc, Buggying, May '03.jpg

AR 12 Arc, Chris, May '03 3.jpg

AR12 Arc, Chris May '03 2.jpg

AR12 Arc rear view May '03.jpg

AR12 Arc, Chris May '03 1.jpg

AR12 Arc May '03 1.jpg