Wanted - Walk of shame - solid tow bar

Barry Pardoe

On 8/19/2022 at 4:53 PM, Barry Pardoe said:

Have just moved into range of Pembrey and the rope I use to tow my Flexibug around doesn't handle the slopes and soft sand that I now have to deal with.

Does anyone have (or know where to get) one of those solid tow bars that seem to handle that type of stuff much better?

@Martin Faber makes them.  I have one for my GT and personally I don't like it as I find it too short when going up steep sand dunes.

Seeing as we're all doodling.... I use this now.... 

image.jpeg

1. Two loops on the end, larks head around my footpegs.
2. Handle (just a piece of garden hose) closest to them I use when I'm walking beside the buggy, 75cm is approximate I can't remember what I extended it to so it avoided catching the headstem from behind.
3. I like a really long tow rope, it means when I'm pulling it pulls the buggy over the sand, especially uphills or soft sand instead of pulling the front wheel off the ground and having all the weight on my arms.  So I'll walk about 4M in front of my buggy.
4. I use the two knots at the top of the tow rope when I'm walking behind my buggy on a downward slope, and control it like a chariot.

The chariot racing can be quite entertaining if you stand on the back axle on the downhill slopes.  @nigel cruises half of Sandy Point like this.
@techno decided to abandon ship jumping off the axle at speed and his buggy hit a tree trunk.... 

On 8/23/2022 at 5:22 PM, mik333 said:

Great little set of instructions. Nothing worse than trying to outrun your buggy when walking downhill.

Walk behind it instead?

• 2 weeks later...

I too use a rope, as it can be stashed away in the buggy when you get to the beach.

And if you need it, can be used to tow another buggy pilot home.

Very hard to store a solid metal bar on the buggy, or take the risk and leave it sitting on the beach for some random to pick up and take off with.

I used to have a Baggy Bag Man bag (https://buggybags.co.uk/) on my buggy.  Unfortunately time was not kind and when I dug it out a few months ago the zip had died a glorious white furry death.  Fortunately I'll be picking up a new bag (and buggy seat) next weekend.  So I was planning on being able to fit my solution in that bag.

I had been using a rope, which was great when I flew in flat land.  But having moved to Wales I have to struggle up and down a few slopes between car and beach, and the buggy kept trying to run me over.

I have yet to test but the solution I've come up with looks like it'll work for me.

I've taken a roll of 25mm tubular webbing and a tent repair pole to make a 'solid' tow bar that breaks down small enough for my buggy bag.  The tent pole is made up into two halves and then slid through the webbing, with a short bit in between to act as a handle.  When the poles are disconnected it all folds down to the length of a single pole section (65cm) which will easily fit in my bag.  But when the poles are joined it should give me a solid enough tow bar of 2.5m.  The remains of the webbing I've made into a crude shoulder harness that I should be able to tie to the handle, giving me an easy tow option.  At the moment everything is just tied in place, as I'm sure adjustments will be needed.

Once the weather/tides over here combine to let me out I'll give it a test and post up the results.

IMG_20220905_111841.jpg

IMG_20220905_112055.jpg

IMG_20220905_111958.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  Got mine tested a few weeks ago, and then made a few permanent modifications.

The first image shows the whole thing 'packed up' (small enough to fit in the bag on my buggy).  Then it is shown released but not assembled.  Then there are images of the various parts of it ready to use.

I changed the rods from being four rods long to being three.  That still seems to be long enough, and reduces any bending when going downhill.

At the 'handle' end you have the choice of the handle to grab, or a couple of shoulder slings.  And pulling it along by the shoulder slings is so easy that I'm unlikely to use the handle much.

To fit it all I have to do is (push the rods forward in the sleeve and) tie the straps to the buggy foot pegs.  This should make it flexible enough to be able to fit it to any buggy.

IMG_20220918_102252.jpg

IMG_20220918_102109.jpg

IMG_20220918_101946.jpg

IMG_20220918_101918.jpg

IMG_20220918_101908.jpg

IMG_20220918_101850.jpg

42 minutes ago, Barry Pardoe said:

Hi.  Got mine tested a few weeks ago, and then made a few permanent modifications.

The first image shows the whole thing 'packed up' (small enough to fit in the bag on my buggy).  Then it is shown released but not assembled.  Then there are images of the various parts of it ready to use.

I changed the rods from being four rods long to being three.  That still seems to be long enough, and reduces any bending when going downhill.

At the 'handle' end you have the choice of the handle to grab, or a couple of shoulder slings.  And pulling it along by the shoulder slings is so easy that I'm unlikely to use the handle much.

To fit it all I have to do is (push the rods forward in the sleeve and) tie the straps to the buggy foot pegs.  This should make it flexible enough to be able to fit it to any buggy.

IMG_20220918_102252.jpg

IMG_20220918_102109.jpg

IMG_20220918_101946.jpg

IMG_20220918_101918.jpg

IMG_20220918_101908.jpg

IMG_20220918_101850.jpg

Very cool and neat set up