Monjet Kiteboarding

jhn.holgate

Hello all!

I saw this topic so I thougt maybe it's time to introduce myself.
My name is Bryan van Ostheim and I am a kitedesigner of Monjet Kiteboarding. (A new small dutch brand, even our website isn't online yet)
We are specialized  in light wind designs and currently testing a new hybrid single skin concept wich you can even water relaunch.

Here is a video during Flymasters in 6 knots (it's a 9 meter)

Our webiste will be soon online but untill that time you can follow us on: https://www.facebook.com/monjetkites?ref=hl

If you have any questions or want to give me some feedback, please let me know!

IMG_0435d.jpg

Hi Bryan and welcome to the site.  I split your topic into it's own thread as it was in the wrong spot in the Flysurfer/Nasa Star thread.  Welcome to XK!!

@Bryan van Ostheim  What are you calling your kite?  And what sizes are you planning on making?  Also, let us know when your site is up and running.

Edited by jhn.holgate

Very interesting!

Looks like you have used the same approach as seen on paragliders (Saw a pic somewhere on this forum) where you use just a few closed cells as struts and then the rest of the kite is single skin?

Would love to try it out for some landboarding/surfing/snowkiting at some point :-)

//M

Thank you all, really appreciate your interests (forgive me for my poor english writing sometimes)

@jhn.holgate We have no name yet, (so if some one has a good name ;-) Currently the tuning of the 9m2 is almost done, we are also working on a 11m2.
These kites are very powerfull and designed for low wind sessions. (9m is comparable to a 14m normal depower foil, the 11m more like a 17)

@m.klinge You are welcome to give it a try! You are right, paragliders are a big inspiration. I had this idea a couple of years ago but struggled a lot with the design. I was also working on some different tube kite models for other brands at that time. Since this year I was able to focus for the fully 100% on the hybrid single skin. For a few months now, we are working together with a factory to get this kite on the market.

@ssayre Thanks! Always good to hear people like this concept. We want to push the limits of low wind kiteboarding with smaller kites, and the only way to make big improvements seems to be in this concept. 

Thank you all, really appreciate your interests (forgive me for my poor english writing sometimes)

@jhn.holgate We have no name yet, (so if some one has a good name ;-) Currently the tuning of the 9m2 is almost done, we are also working on a 11m2.
These kites are very powerfull and designed for low wind sessions. (9m is comparable to a 14m normal depower foil, the 11m more like a 17)

@m.klinge You are welcome to give it a try! You are right, paragliders are a big inspiration. I had this idea a couple of years ago but struggled a lot with the design. I was also working on some different tube kite models for other brands at that time. Since this year I was able to focus for the fully 100% on the hybrid single skin. For a few months now, we are working together with a factory to get this kite on the market.

@ssayre Thanks! Always good to hear people like this concept. We want to push the limits of low wind kiteboarding with smaller kites, and the only way to make big improvements seems to be in this concept. 

Please let me know if you're ccoming near Denmark in the future, I would love to demo it :-) 

//M 

, (so if some one has a good name ;-) Currently the tuning of the 9m2 is almost done, we are also working on a 11m2.

No name?  I think we could throw quite a few at you.... for starters,

Monjet Scythe

Paramerion  (Roman sword)

Any plans on smaller sizes in the future?  I'm thinking a high performance single skin kite that can be flown off handles at a reasonable price would be a good seller.... Although from what @BigE has said, there is a heck of a lot of work in building this sort of thing

large.5mWebIII.jpg.416596d295177e7c2fcdf

Edited by jhn.holgate

No name?  I think we could throw quite a few at you.... for starters,

Monjet Scythe

Paramerion  (Roman sword)

Any plans on smaller sizes in the future?  I'm thinking a high performance single skin kite that can be flown off handles at a reasonable price would be a good seller.... Although from what @BigE has said, there is a heck of a lot of work in building this sort of thing

Cool names, I put them on the list.

First we will launch the 9 and 11m, maybe smaller in the future... 
High performance single skin kites have so much cells and bridles and are very complex, therefore production is not cheaper then foil kites.

@Bryan van Ostheim Nice kites! They do look very similar to the ones I have built, and as jhn.holgate said I did find that using the number of cells I did they are very labour intensive.  I think I may also have over engineered the ribs but that's me taking a step into uncharted territory.  Couple of questions: Is your kite de-powerable? And the other which you may or not want to put on-line, what AR did you go for? I've tried two different ARs and am planning to push wider on a smaller size (Once I get some time).

I did notice on the "Big" manufacturers single skin kites that they have reduced the number of ribs / used part ribs, I reckon this is a compromise between cost and performance.

@Bryan van Ostheim Nice kites! They do look very similar to the ones I have built, and as jhn.holgate said I did find that using the number of cells I did they are very labour intensive.  I think I may also have over engineered the ribs but that's me taking a step into uncharted territory.  Couple of questions: Is your kite de-powerable? And the other which you may or not want to put on-line, what AR did you go for? I've tried two different ARs and am planning to push wider on a smaller size (Once I get some time).

I did notice on the "Big" manufacturers single skin kites that they have reduced the number of ribs / used part ribs, I reckon this is a compromise between cost and performance.

@BigE I saw your kites, great job! I do only the design, kites are made in factory. Production is more expensive like we do, but we want the best performance possible in the lowest wind. The kite is depowerable over 4 pulleys. The aspect ratio is medium to high. 

• 2 months later...

Dear kite friends!

I wanted to give you all a quick update. We had some small issues with the design, but are fixing it right now.
It seems to take a little longer than expected, single skin depower is a ver complex design.
We have some great help from a lot of people.
Thank you!

IMG_0474b (Kopie).jpg

Very nice to see new entrants in the single skin world, particularly DP designs.  I too am a single skin enthusiast, owning a complete quiver of both the Flysurfer Peak-2 series and the Born-Kite NASA Star-3's. One big plus for me for single skins as a class of kites is their ability to pack down really small and light compared to similar sized/powered dual skinned varieties. 

As I'm sure you are working through, one key aspect of the Peak-2 series is their HUGE range of DP and their clam cleat adjuster down at the bar.  At least for us inland riders (me on skis, buggy, and skates) we often deal with highly variable wind conditions. It's not unusual for "light wind days" to vary from base winds down at say 6-8 knots to be nicely blended in with bursts into the mid teens or beyond. In such conditions now I'd have my 12m Peak-2 in the air. Many times for safety and control I have adjusted the clam cleat on the fly to take general power out of the kite and sheeted completely out.  Features like that on your large "light wind" kites would be warmly received. 

Another feature that will be warmly embraced will be larks head knots at both ends of your main lines.  There Is at least one single skin design out there (viz., LongStar) wherein it is not possible to take the lines off because the system is sewn shut or in some way built to not allow this. Please make them user friendly in this way!

Final thing:  about 20 seconds into your video we get a glimpse of your bar.  Hard to tell from the shot but it appears to be a design I've never seen before with things coming off the bar ends that seem to stick up n the air out of the plane of the bar.  Any comments?  Just curious.

please keep us posted!

6 minutes ago, windstruck said:

On 8-1-2016 at 1:55 PM, windstruck said:

As I'm sure you are working through, one key aspect of the Peak-2 series is their HUGE range of DP and their clam cleat adjuster down at the bar.  At least for us inland riders (me on skis, buggy, and skates) we often deal with highly variable wind conditions. It's not unusual for "light wind days" to vary from base winds down at say 6-8 knots to be nicely blended in with bursts into the mid teens or beyond. In such conditions now I'd have my 12m Peak-2 in the air. Many times for safety and control I have adjusted the clam cleat on the fly to take general power out of the kite and sheeted completely out.  Features like that on your large "light wind" kites would be warmly received. 

We are working on the depower range, but our goal is hudge depower. Also when you pull your safety, the kite will fall out of the sky without any pull left.

Another feature that will be warmly embraced will be larks head knots at both ends of your main lines.  There Is at least one single skin design out there (viz., LongStar) wherein it is not possible to take the lines off because the system is sewn shut or in some way built to not allow this. Please make them user friendly in this way!

We will make it user friendly, it will be possible to use every 4-line bar with equal lines.

Final thing:  about 20 seconds into your video we get a glimpse of your bar.  Hard to tell from the shot but it appears to be a design I've never seen before with things coming off the bar ends that seem to stick up n the air out of the plane of the bar.  Any comments?  Just curious.

please keep us posted!

I think what you see is the depower strap. This is just a normal bar.

Thanks for your input!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Bryan van Ostheim said:

Hi guys,

We are close to final production!
Kitefinder interviewed me and did a small test.
I have listened to a lot of feedback from the past.
So even a closed leading edge right now ;-)

I've really enjoyed watching the Monjet Ninox development. I'm a personal big fan of SS kites so this is great to see. Good call on going with the 6m/10m combo; that's a nice quiver assuming these kites have a good range of DP. 

I'm quite curious to learn about how the cells are inflated. Passive inflation or active with a pump?  Also, for inland riders dealing with uneven winds, days that would call for the 10m often have wind gaps that will sink any kite no matter how light. I've got a fair  amount of experience with a 12m Peak in these conditions and getting the kite to settle to the ground in such a way as to allow for easy relaunch is an art form in itself. I'm thinking that the added structure of the closed cells may really help in this regard. Particularly if you end up with a leading edge closed cell.  Watch out for making the leading edge burstable with pile driving the nose into the ground. Tough, but it's gonna happen.