Revolution kite differences?

So I've had an EXP for a few years now and just recently purchased a vented SLE for higher winds. After assembling the SLE I stood it next to the EXP and they are exactly the same size. The bridle looks about the same too, although I haven't measured it.

So my question is, what are the differences between the different rev models? :dontknow:

Obviously there are different sized revs and the power series, but I'm more interested in the differences between the models with 91" leading edge. So EXP, SLE, B-series?

From memory the difference between the EXP and SLE is in the material the sails are made out of, other than that most of the difference between the Revs is the leading edge spar size and the venting and the patterns.

PS. Dont Forget to bring your Revs to Yeppoon, Chook and myself had a blast flying together at Emu Park last year. I reckon a 3rd or 4th would be a hoot

From what I remember, it is the sail quality, spar size and the shape of the pannels. The EXP was one of the orginal 1.5m revs, then to make the kites more controlable for team stuff, they made the SLE's. Further development came to the b-series. Then the latest development is the zen.

When the B-series was introduced, it was a slightly different shape to the previous 1.5 models. The height/thickness/top-to bottom of the V in the centre of the kite was greater. For a while this extra sail area in the middle of the B-series was only on that model range, but now all 1.5 sized Revs are the same shape.

This shape difference between models is more apparent if you compare a Rev 1 and a Zen. The Zen is much fatter in the centre than the original Rev 1, but they use the same frame rod lengths.

Other than that, the sail cloth is lower grade nylon on the EXP range, polyester on the more expensive models, and PC31 Icarex on the B-series

... and the Carl Robertshaw Rev (I think it is full Rev 1 size) DOES have a different sail shape, heavier frame and slightly more vertical upright rods. These do reverse flight MUCH easier than other Revs!

Chook and myself had a blast flying together at Emu Park last year. I reckon a 3rd or 4th would be a hoot

Hey Goz, I'll be back at Emu Park this year. Hopefully the wind will be a bit gentler than last year, and I'll get more time flying the Revs and less time tending to misbehaving single liners!

Kevin

Willunga, S.A.

Hey Goz, I'll be back at Emu Park this year. Hopefully the wind will be a bit gentler than last year, and I'll get more time flying the Revs and less time tending to misbehaving single liners!

Kevin

Willunga, S.A.

Looking forward to it Kevin, hopefully the wind has calmed down a bit by then. The last couple of days the wind has been crazy strong around here with the cyclone coming in further up the coast. Rundle Island just south of Emu Park was creeping up towards the 100 km/h mark at times.

Break out the vented hanky kite :D

• 1 month later...

All the Revolution 1.5 kites have identical frame rod lengths, the centre has ferrules in either end but the body is the same. A frame from an $200 EXP will go straight into a $400 B Pro. There are differences in the strength and flex of the frames but they are ALL interchangeable across the 1.5 platform. There are 2 main differences, one is the sail material. The other is the sail construction.

Entry. The EXP is cheaper as it's made from a cheaper sail type (ripstop nylon) and there are only 7 pieces that make up ther entire sail. Big straight lines are easy to sew. Only avail able as a Full Sail, no vents to sew and cut.

Good. The SLE used to be a "next step up" grade ripstop (polyester but I think they are the same now?). It has 11 pieces that make the sail, mostly triangles, but more are involved to cut out and sew together. Majority of offerings are Full Saill and Full Vent.

Better. The B Series is made from PC31 Icarex which is much better. The sail layup is designed to channel the air off it to increase the diredtional control it can give. The design also gives a visual consistancy from Standard to Mid Vent to Full Vent as the vertical pieces become the vents.

Best. The B Pro's are made from the same material as the B Series BUT you can choose your own scheme from more colors. Even the writing on the sail can be custom colored. They are sewn by one guy who is a true craftsman, Barry Poulter, and as such the standard of workman ship is greater. There are small improvements that take extra time, like folding over the ends of the leading edge pocket to stop the fraying.

Having said all that, they all do the same stuff, but some just feel better to fly.

YMMV

Rob