Speedweek at Sandy Point

nigel

Event set up for the speed sailors out there. Will also include kite surfing??.

The event is on the SHQ web site:

http://www.shq.com.au/shq/newsandevents/asp_news_and_events_item_detail.asp?newsAndEventsId=40

I have also heard from one of the Blokart guys that they have been invited, so I don't see why we (kite buggyies) would not be allowed to take part if time and space permit.

I do find it funny that the Foreshore Management don't want us there, and now there is a large group of peole turning up for an event, we are invited with open arms?????? Well the Blokarts are???

Looks like its to be a sailing event, that means windsurfers.

Windsurfers have not been banned down there, but the kiters have.

Still waiting on a reply to an email, so we shall see if the kiters are going to be there or not????

Easy way to voice your anger at the Forshore Management.

Phone up the places you would stay at for the week, and tell them that you would love to attend the Speed Week event. Only one problem. The Foreshore Management have banned all kite surfing.

So let the owners know that they are losing money due to the Foreshore Managements poor (ill informed??) decision to ban kites. :x

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nigel,

Have you gotten a response yet? Please forward anything you get back from 'Management' down to Geelong (email), so I can bring it up with the club - and put forward some official response.

Speedweek is primarily Sailboarding. I contacted SHQ - and they weren't aware of any ban at all on kiteboarding at Sandy Point - and they should know.

So all is not lost, but we need to find out from some official body what the situation actually is - then we can negotiate with the foreshore management regarding local issues and use. It is also possible that for an event such as Speedweek, special permission can be obtained for widespread use of kites, landyachts, etc.

Regards,

Goshen

No reply Goshen,

The limited info I heard back from the council stated that as the Foreshore Management are not an official ruling body, but a group of fellow citizens. They have no rights to tell us we can or can't use this or that area.

Any sign they put up is illegal.

We can only be kicked off the beach by a council by-laws officer.

The councils area of controll also ends at the high water mark, so as long as we remain below the high water mark we are under the maratime division (what ever its called).

Therefore we can not be excluded from the beach in any way shape or form.

Kite surfing is a little different.

They have to follow the boating regs.

Biggest pain the bot bot rule is that they must be below 5 knots within 200 metres of the shore!!!!!?????

Still will be interesting to hear how it goes though.

• 3 months later...

A few Kite Surfers are down but where's the buggies?

Saturday went off with speeds over 50km/h on the blokarts all day, topping out at 64.3km/h late in the arvo before getting over to watch Macquarie Innovation have a couple of runs reaching 42knots, about 72km/h I guess. The fastest windsurfer was 31.7Knots or 59km/h.

Macquarie Innovation broke a keel wing on the last run and it was all over.

Tommorrow is going to be ballistic with a SW of 30-40knots expected and onshore conditions till Saturday. If you have some time off and a need for speed, then we will be setup 200m east of the Surf Club, just look for the flags.

Sure Justin!!!!!!

I am certain that you will take the kites and board down just for a quick half hour ride, if conditions are good.

Driving down and back, 4 hours, and not having a quick fly???

I don't think so!!!

I am still looking at comming down some time. Working Monday so it could be Tues.?? But the sea breezes look very tempting on Sat. :D

Your not banned from the beach, as i've explained they just don't want people sailing directly out front of the surf club. So set up and head 200m either way and you'll have no problem and stay clear of the walkers.

As for Wednesday, it went off. I got 81km/h reaching in the blokart with a 3m on. Insane amount of understeer with the luffing sail dragging me down wind while trying to slow, had to hit the water for grip.

I won't be down Saturday as not enough wind. I'll be back Monday.

Jez the Pro wingsurfer got 55 with a 4.8m Kitewing on Thursday morning and I got 46km/h with the 5.5m in 15knots Friday morning on my first time out on a long run.

See you down there some time.

Yep, both the fastest winsurfer and Macquarie innovation got 44 knots, or 82km/h, beating me by 1 km/h as I got 50.8MPH or 81km/h. The next quickest blokarter got 80km/h both using 3m with Pods but it was a reach, so not the quickest line and we should have gone down to the 2m for less apparent drag. Still not bad for $4000 compared with $180,000 for Macquarie.

The quickest Kitewing the next day after the big winds was 55km/h and I got 46 on my first morning. I managed to sail both directions but i'm still working on the turns.

We are sailing again this weekend with low tides around midday and onshore winds predicted. We will start sailing from 10am if any kiters want to get involved. We will run a class if enough turn up. We will be either east of the surf club sailing toward the prom or at Ned Neales going for Waratah bay. NO SAILING OUT THE FRONT OF THE SURF CLUB, that's all.

Regards

Kem

Gippsland Wind Sports Group

0429 782 687