BGKD

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

To me the smaller the kite the better. Rationale being that to go really fast you need a really big wind, and then the balls to throw something up!

The bigger the kite the more drag. Yes more power of course, but friction on the surface area plays a part.

Cheers

?? the bigger the kite the more drag, please explain? how would a bigger kite get more drag just by being bigger? the lift component in the l/d argument goes up at the same rate and the larger kite can run the same rigging as the physical load the kite is lugging can be the same so line and rigging drag can be halved by going from 2.5 to 10 sqm and has a visable effect on a kites envelope, in my book bigger kites can have less drag.

luv

istt

Simply an observation of mine factoring in also that big kites in big winds (until the depowerables came along) can simply just overpower the rider to go sideways and lose speed.

If I am wrong about the drag of a large surface area, then cool, lesson learnt. My focus is to go quick, my practical expereince is that I am better to do this on a small race kite, again however before the depowerables came along.

Cheers

Why so we can have a tacking duel?:rofl:, As a general rule of thumb , an airstrip will face into the wind, taxi ways are better, but shorter and generally leading towards large solid things like buildings.

As to when depowerables can along statement, I am struggling with this statetement as well because your depowerable kite argument has the problem you mentioned, as they decrease the lift to depower but the drag portion in the equation remains higher as parasitic drag is fixed so they become less efficient,and can't rememeber ever seeing one out-perform, someone show me.

To my warped mind this makes them less likely to be the faster on a speed run, don't know about racing in an upwind downwind situation, the extra size you can utilise maybe an advantage.

luv

istt

To my warped mind this makes them less likely to be the faster on a speed run, don't know about racing in an upwind downwind situation, the extra size you can utilise maybe an advantage.

Nigel achieved 98.5 KM/H earlier this year on a 6m Peter Lynn Phantom. I'd say that's quite fast ;)

Would a fixed bridle yakuza gone faster in that wind ? Not sure....

Why so we can have a tacking duel?:rofl:, As a general rule of thumb , an airstrip will face into the wind, taxi ways are better, but shorter and generally leading towards large solid things like buildings.

luv

istt

Well i guess the only time an airstrip would be closed down is when there is a STRONG crosswind....? ;)

Peace

• 3 weeks later...

I wave found two web sites that have pages dedicated to speed on buggies, the first is buggybags.co.uk and the second is whitsundaykiters.com

on the second you will see billymacs effort of 55kph, but there are faster speeds on that site.

Carl has 82kph, Peter has 73.8kph, and Ian has 68.7kph

• 2 weeks later...

I wave found two web sites that have pages dedicated to speed on buggies, the first is buggybags.co.uk and the second is whitsundaykiters.com

on the second you will see billymacs effort of 55kph, but there are faster speeds on that site.

Carl has 82kph, Peter has 73.8kph, and Ian has 68.7kph

And i can put my hand up for the 73.8kph back on the 29th of December 2006, I can also verify BillyMac's speed of 55kph, as i was coming up behind him doing 65 just as he got the speed wobbles, hit some huge holes in the sand and flipped the buggy half a dozen times.

738.jpg

The 6m Phantom is about to be replaced with a 7m Scorpion, so yes Joel, you might get a good speed record.

Just make sure you borrow my GPS again, or bring your own batteries:p

I can't help that they ran out in the last 20 minutes of the day:rofl:

Now just need some good conditions for another attempt on cracking my top speed, with my new kite.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Carl, keep it going mate and you might get up to Nigel's speed. I'm hoping that this list only allows the highest speed from each pilot, and if so i'm still up there in 4th, but a long way behind speed wise.

will see what tomorrow brings, forecast is still shit hot.

Congrats mate.

• 2 weeks later...