The Leicester Kite Crew

jonathan1

This Thread is for Kite Flyers who Flys Recreationally primarly in and around Leicester

Theres a few places Myself and a few others fly at so where do you fly lets arrange a meet.

The Venues will be listed on the Day we fly will include approximate wind conditions for the area

I hope others may join us for the Flyins some venues can be Boarded and others cannot.

Hope to see some of you for a session.

Edited by jonathan1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a visit from Captain Chaos today after he roamed round Syston looking in the sky for kites but he found us in the end. :)

Rearly nice to put a name to the face heres some photos from the day

Pic of Mike flyin the 10 stack

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3356/pic073k.jpg

Mike on my Prospeed 6's

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7530/pic082q.jpg

My wife flyin the 4.7 Flexi Rage

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4386/pic064.jpg

Me flyin mikes Ozone Medthod

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2474/pic087e.jpg

And Finaly How about this 1 x 6ft,x1 x 8ft, 3 x 10ft Rainbows equal to 12 stacker 6's

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7582/pic101h.jpg

Edited by jonathan1

Jonathans1 stack of 3 x Icarex ProSpeed 6's

Sorry about the short video, I'm just started taking videos, but I hope this short clips gives a flavour of the the day:

Well what a fantastic day out !!

When I found out the local fliers had other plans for the day, I decided to travel and visit another Kite flier whom I had conversed with on a forum. I missed him in the morning on the forum and didn't get the location of the flying field, but I decided to go and see if I could find him.

I travelled to the town where I knew he would be, then drove for about 3 miles out of the town center on each road I found. After the third road, driving down a country lane I spotted white kites in the sky, success !! My random approach worked.

Jonathan was flying on private land, 2 fields away from the road, to grab his attention I unfurled a kite and he gave directions to join him.

This is one of the videos I took whilst I was there, a VERY rare stack of kites, 3 x Icarex ProSpeed 6's and they are in an 'as new condition', they are very well looked after.

The kites are like Flexifoil stacker 6's, except the foil/canopies were made from very light cloth, the Spars are also rare, Ultraflex Spars, so these kites will fly in very low wind.

The wind conditions were varying from 2 to 10 mph, and on occasions it was hard to get anything to fly, never the less this stack of kites were a pleasure to fly, very light and responsive.

Thanks Jonathan for your tuition and also for letting me have go on a Very Rare Stack of Kites.

A bit from Jonathan about his Icarex kites:

Flexifoil Icarex Kites were made in 1982.

The kites I own are White ProSpeed 6's, they have Pro Series Ultraflex light wind spars which I converted from Flexifoil Hotshot 4's, I added a 2 foot 8mm carbon centre section as the center Spar, they will fly in wind ranges 3-12 mph

Originally they were manufactured with the main part of the foil being white, they came with 7 different coloured tips: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Pink and Purple. Some were also produced in solid colour, with a Black stripe on 1 tip, unfortunately there were very few made as the material is very expensive.

Flexifoil Stacker 6's

Jonathan then launched and then flew his stack of 10 Stacker 6’, unfortunately I didn’t get a video of them flying (picture in above post), when I took over in mid flight and with Jonathan guidance I smoothed my flying action and found them a pleasure to fly.

The next stack flown was a combination of our Rainbow stacker's.

The stack consists of 1 x Stacker 6, 1 x ProTeam 8 and 3 x Super 10's which is equal to 12 stacker 6's, all in the rare Rainbow colour scheme.

The 6, 8 and top Super 10 in the stack are fitted with Pro Series Ultraflex Lightwind Spars, which enable the kites to fly in lower winds than the normal standard spar. Unfortunately the Ultraflex spars are no longer available. The spars enabled the stack to launch and increased the manoeuvrability in flight.

As always we never fly alone and I would also like to thank his helpers, is wife Hilary who took some great photo's and Hannah his Daughter, Ladies, thanks for helping us get airborne!

Foot note

Does anyone else have any Rainbow stacker's or Icarex Kites ? I know Jonathan would love to fly a larger stack.

Edited by Chaos
a bit more

Nah PM,

On the busy occasions at Hearsall we have had 6 to 9 fliers doing their thing, its a small pitch but we give each other space and fly together, the kite flier down wind normally positions the kite lower so we don't get in each others way.

If tangles occur (not often) we just get untangle the kites and get on with flying. We are all newbies once.

We go there to fly, not bitch at each other, we do the bitchin part on the forum, for all to see.

:D

Edit, we all know each other and are all sarcastic to each other at times, so it all goes down well. I don't think anyone takes the P*ss out anyone we haven't met in person, mind you there are fliers on the common that don't enter into the banter, we respect them and don't diss them at all.

Edited by Chaos
reality check & poor English

why dont you guys come up to midlands air sports club we fly power kites there to great group of people would love to see you guys only 20 pounds a month to join or 10 pounds a day pay as you go 6.50 half a day .

That's the old airboss field isn't it?

I have heard that it isn't great for boards, the grass is too long?