Cheap Rev Copies on Ebay

Hey guys. A mate of mine is interested in getting a Rev after flying mine. He came across these rev kites on Ebay- they're from China.

Any opinions on them? Should he buy American instead? Are they too cheap and crappy to be worth getting?

What sorts of questions should he be asking the seller to verify that they won't fall apart after the first few flights?

[-- Link Removed: Counterfeit --]

I have seen some reports from these on the Rev forums. Firstly, revolution were tring to get them banned from being imported into the US at all. Secondly, from what I have heard they are crap.

There was something about one person talking to Ben (works for Rev) about one he got that fell apart and the quallity was really bad. I would stay well clear if I was you with them. Will try and dig up a couple of the threads on the rev forum and PM you the links.

Hey guys. A mate of mine is interested in getting a Rev after flying mine. He came across these rev kites on Ebay- they're from China.

Any opinions on them? Should he buy American instead? Are they too cheap and crappy to be worth getting?

What sorts of questions should he be asking the seller to verify that they won't fall apart after the first few flights?

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Alb-Kite ... QQ_armrsZ1

Hi Vyner

You have an easy choice from my perspective, get an original and do not support copyright infinging counterfeiters.

The original is guaranteed to fly well, and hold its value. Its made from well researched top quality materials proven to work in that kite design. Often imitations and copies have poor quality materials and performance, they might look good on the "net" but in real life its almost always a very different story.

If we do not support original designers works, we will have no industry left. The Hadzicki family who started and own Revolution, have been super supportive of the kite industry, so I will always support them.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Hey, I support that, and I'm not generally impressed with the idea either. I think he's better off getting the established brand. I figured they're probably knock-offs, and that coming from China, they will be cheap and nasty.

But I don't want to get into an argument about morals with him- I'd much rather be able to say something technical like "the rods they use has a lower specific density and is going to break faster". So how can I find that stuff out? I mean, it's ebay, I can get him to ask questions and they'll get posted up onto the product, so hopefully it may stop others getting them too.

Is there somewhere I can go to study up on kite materials so I know what to ask?

You'll get what you pay for.

This is the saying your friend needs to learn.

While the copy might fly, I doubt that it will be as good as the real thing.

Often you can pick up a secondhand kite for the cost of the ebay one, I know which is still going to fly better.

What sized tubes does it use?

Are they available if you break them?

Is there any support for the product here in Australia, or even locally?

And on a side note, don't expect any help from a kite store when your friend marches in expecting the guy behind the counter to jump to attention and fix his kite for him.

Would you fix another stores computer if your working for a rival computer store?

You'll get what you pay for.

This is the saying your friend needs to learn.

While the copy might fly, I doubt that it will be as good as the real thing.

Often you can pick up a secondhand kite for the cost of the ebay one, I know which is still going to fly better.

What sized tubes does it use?

Are they available if you break them?

Is there any support for the product here in Australia, or even locally?

And on a side note, don't expect any help from a kite store when your friend marches in expecting the guy behind the counter to jump to attention and fix his kite for him.

Would you fix another stores computer if your working for a rival computer store?

We will fix anything Nigel, however we may point out truth about the kite and the quality being inferior and maybe its not worth spending money on.

I've never asked where someone bought their kite from, I've learned its dangerous to assume, and so many times I've been wrong when I have made assumptions. The person may have bought the copy kite used for example?

My job is to serve them just like I would like to be served, especially if they are a newbie to kiting and have unwittingly purchased something that is an inferior copy.

Otherwise I agreee with you, you do get what you pay for in life, one way or another.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Hi Guys,

We have removed the link above, if there's an issue with this it can be put back as there's no hard fast rule against it.

------

There's a difference between cheap, unique Chinese produced kites and counterfeit kites. Companies producing unique designs that are chinese run should not be shunned, just because a populous in an industry may want you to, all companies start somewhere and if they're doing their own R&D and designing kites good on them, it's how all companies start regardless of geography or company demographics and the connotation that because it is chinese it may be poor quality. Most of the kites you fly are all manufactured in China anyway. However such as the former link above there are companies producing what we call Counterfeit kites, visually look similar / identical however fly like garbage. The company linked to also had counterfeit kites similar to the Flexifoil Blurr listed as well which just damages the industry as a whole and at the end reduces competition and choice for consumers.

Remember, there's a big difference between a cheap chinese genuine company and a cheap chinese counterfeit company. Most kite shops stock cheap sub $50 chinese kites on their shelves, this doesn't mean to say they are all counterfeit.

Regards,

.Joel

There's nothing wrong with cheap Chinese imports, its probably where at least 50% of the people on here got there first kite from.

Yes i know people get there noses out of joint, shop owners get upset but they nearly get just as upset when you buy another brand from another shop. Its life.

We have more Chinese copy's coming into this country then we have of the real thing EBAY Deals direct and other direct selling online stores look at Apple you can now buy an IPHONE copy now in Australia. even has a Nokia (copy) Plug pack for it too :D

But to end this before i get on the hit list as well, IT GETS DOWN TO ONE THING

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND THE SERVICE REALLY DOES MATTER

• 4 years later...

I can't afford the extortionate prices Rev kites have told their sellers to sell them at. These sellers are not allowed to sell them at competitive prices. It also seems that there is only one seller in the UK, being allowed to sell Rev kites. It reminds me of the debate years ago, as to why people copy CDs. These CDs can be produced at a fraction of the prices they sell for, and if they are sold at a REASONABLE price, there will be no need for copies. I am a keen kite flyer, but feel I have been deprived of my ability to own and fly a Rev kite. If the prices of Rev kites can come down to a reasonable figure, more people will be able to enjoy the sport, and there will be no need for the Chinese copies. We are not talking about some complicated design and space age materials. It consists of a Nylon or Polyester cloth, and a few carbon rods. My top of the range Yonex badminton graphite racket has more complicated R&D with more sophisticated graphite material, but costs less than the bottom of the range EXP Rev kite. The Chinese copies flies just as well and some looks even better than the Rev kites. Some of the Rev designs remind me of my boxer shorts.

I know I will be shot down by Rev fans, and in fact I will be surprised if this response is allowed to be posted by the forum moderators.

It's a forum and your entitled to your own opinion.

Funny you should be complaining about the cost of kites, I've found they have gotten cheaper over the years.

The cost of living and our wages, vs, the price of the kites.

When Rev's first appeared on the scene in the early 90's, here in Australia, they were selling at insane prices, close to $500.

I went on a trip to Hawaii, and found a nice kite store there and picked up a Rev II for $140 USD.

That was about $200 AUS if my memory serves me well.

I might understand or even sysmpathise with you, but now days with the internet, you can purchase anything from almost any where, and hunt down the best price around the world.

So there's no excuse paying full retail if you don't want to.

Your (UK) huge photographic retail chain that receintly (last year) went belly up is a prime example of how stores today can't compete with cheaper prices being offered in other countries, as shoppers are happy to order it for a cheaper price.

And as always, the secondhand market is a great place to shop if you want to get a bargin.

Infact there were some Rev's being offered on this site a while a go.

I still have my Rev II, so for $200 and it's now 20 years old, that's $10 a year, what a bargin!!

If you really want a kite, it's as easy as cutting out a coffee or two a week, or not having an extra pint at your local. It soon adds up.

With access to the European market at your doorstep, there should be a nice selection of stores, or people offering kites secondhand for you to choose from.

Just wait, save, and you'll get the kite you want.

Good luck.

Trust me, I have searched every where for a 'cheap' Rev kite in the UK. It looks like there is only one online kite store that sells Rev kites in the UK - kiteworld. The cheapest Rev kite is the EXP which they sell for £189 ($285 US). The best price online is from Kiteconnection in the US, but after adding postage and VAT etc, it works out even more expensive. PLEASE can someone tell me if they also agree that the Chinese copies are just as good as the genuine Rev. I have absolutely no problems with the ethics and morality of buying a Rev copy if it is any good. Rev kites have had over 20 years of charging extortionate prices for their kites.

Hennypenny,

You could alternatively join the Chinnese, well sort of, make your own Rev. The most expensive part would be the graphite poles, guessing 50 to 100$, then add some cloth, hmm guessing $20, add some line, hmm 30$. So where are we, $150. Now add your time which is free. Seriously, that's how I started out kiting, I made my own (ie the NASA wings). If you have sewing machine, well no excuses then.

Happy kite hunting.

Norman.

Rev kites have had over 20 years of charging extortionate prices for their kites.

Doesn't that tell your something?, if everyone else has been incapable of making anything even close to being as good without infringing Revs copyright then it just goes to prove the value of the design, Revolution are not exactly Apple here, they are not sitting on Billions of profit built on the back of dubious patents.

Few people who own revs regret the price they pay, and few people who fly the alternative copies get as much bang for their buck, if you dont want to buy from online kite retailers them buy from one of the hundreds of stores that stock them

• 4 weeks later...

One thing from the Rev Kites that I understand (well I know this is the case for the Zen's) that a lot of the Revs are infact made in the US not in China. So due to labor costs, the kites are more expensive. I own 3 Rev's and have never had an issue with them. I paid $150 for the supersonic second hand and that was 4 years ago.

I have read about the knock off's for revs and a lot of them really dont fly as well as the real things. If you are flying on your own, you might be lucky and get a half decent one, but as soon as you start flying with other people, you will notice the difference very quickly.

One of the guys that I fly with has a few of cheep knock off peices of line laundry and lifter. We have spent well over 50 hours trying to get them to fly and still having issues, including rebridaling.

Good luck in finding something that will suit your needs and your price bracket, but you will get what you pay for.

I would like to add that even the REV guys get it wrong occasionally. I remember one SLE that wouldn't fly properly (wasn't it yours Gozzy?)

REV immediately gave a replacement canopy. So yes we all make mistakes but it's all about what happens afterwards.

Jas

Yeah nothing wrong with the after sales service from Revolution and Briskites :D

I got my SLE and the sail had been cut a bit out causing a different tension in one side of the sail, sent a photo to the Rev guys through Jason and they replaced it straight away. Try doing that with the cheap knock offs. :derisive:

I haven't seen a knock off in the flesh but the quality of Rev Kites is bloody good, I don't regret getting the genuine article rather than a clone, it was worth it for the quality and after sales service. I know they last a long time as well, I came in to possession of a very old Rev2 and it flys just as good as the day it was built just needs a couple of bungees replaced.

Support your local kite shop, it's worth it for the advice and service. :yes3: