Video: Air Evolution - Simply amazing from a kite aspect.

.Joel

Hey all,

I found this one today and was watching it thinking if they were ever going to come back down. These kites are simply amazing, these have to be one of the longest, floatiest airs I have ever seen on a kite.

Take a look at the VIDEO: http://www.air-evolution.co.uk/images/in-the-air.wmv'>http://www.air-evolution.co.uk/images/in-the-air.wmv

Website for the manufacturers is: http://www.air-evolution.co.uk

Regards,

Joel

hey, there are quite a few more vids like this on kite forum...

http://www.kiteforum.tv/index.php?option=com_videos&task=list&category=snowkite&Itemid=13

have a look at the north, ozone etc.. promo videos...

if anyone can shed light on the type of setup these guys use i'd love to know. Surely doing this sort of thing with a straight out of the bag setup is a quick way to messing yourself up pretty badly... do they have a secondary set of lines as backups??

I have finally managed to get this prick of a computer to run the videos. In between time I had a look at the site and read about the kite. Then I found out the prices and I thought yeah well, nice kite but bloody expensive.

Now I have watched the videos! 8)

They are absolutely awesome! Is this a kite or a paraglider?

My long and detailed wish list has been rearranged! These people are flying, literally, and with seemingly little effort.

I really want one!!!!!!!

The kite appears to be good, but i think it's more to do with two factors:

1. Skill of riders

I would think these guys know what they're doing, or have at least had quite a bit of practise snow kiting.

2. Wind conditions

The wind is blowing up the mountain causing an updraft which allows them to float down the hill.

Wouldn't rush off and grab one of these kites straight away, i'm sure most kites would have the capabilities of doing this. I've seen one movie from this forum with people doing it on LEI's.

cheers

James

I think you have to remember James that these kites have one unique feature about them opposed to other kites. The trailing edge is designed like the flaps on aeroplane wings. It acts in the same way when altering the bar, not just changing the foot print of the kite, but activating the back flap like an air rudder. No doubt it can be done on other kites, but I am yet to see a kite in such "normal" conditions offer what this kite has for air time.

Regards,

Joel

I don't know Joel.

I am in awe of these snow kiters who ski up the mountain and fly back down. Imagine what would happen if a wing tip folds over. I've always thought, nah not for me.

On Sunday I was buggying on the Stockton sand dunes both at Birubi and Williamtown. Late in the afternoon the wind was really howling and I had a 4m cQuad up. I was using the valley between parrallel dunes a bit like a half pipe. On one run I raced up a dune a bit quick and while I went through the motions of doing the turn, I just kept going and buggy and pilot parted. Now the other other side of this dune was a decent drop off, 8m high probably. One of those moments when you think Oh No! The kite stayed high, things were nice and floaty and I came down gentle and amazed. The buggy kindly turned up next to me. I tacked back upwind to a spot where the face of the dune wasn't a drop off and went back into the valley where the rest of the group was.

The point of the storey is I don't think it matters what sort of kite it is. If it can lift you, it can hold you.

Some of the video I have seen has been of kiters that are very high in the air. Paragliding is not my sport. I am an absent minded daydreamer who makes lots of mistakes every day. I'll make my mistakes close to the ground. Wearing protection.

I don't think the kite is critical. I think it has more to do with putting yourself in the right conditions. Safely. Joel's video link he provided of kiting mishaps shows that you can have the right gear in the wrong hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Air Evolution is coming.

These kites are about to become available in Australia. They are no more expensive than the Frenzy and highly recommended for all mountainboarders or snowkiters as they offer the most pop of any kite in existence.

PM me for details but they will be here in a few weeks and demoing in Melbourne soon. :oops:

Yes they are the best having just won 3 world snowkiting titles this season.

Great video, beautiful kiting and good reggae, 2 of my favourite things!

Looks like magic conditions, a steady breeze/updraft, big kites 12 and 14 I think? As ellery said, they're not magic kites, all good snowkites should be able to do something like that, but they do glide extremely well. I was interested to see they hardly work the kite at all when it's above them, other long glides I've seen (eg. chasta vids) they often loop the kite or pump the bar.

One of the most interesting things about the air evolutions is the trailing edge, it's single skin with battens. I can see how this would reduce drag as the air passes the kite, and make very effective steering flaps. Haven't seen it on a foil before.

As for "air time" remember they are gliding into the wind and downhill. Armin from flysurfer used a Speed 17 as a paraglider for "10 minutes hangtime".

I like that trailing edge :D interesting. Not closed cell though....land kites AND water kites, that's expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok WE got Air. :lol:

The Air Evolution have arrived and it is a radical piece of gear. Being French, built like a Citroen, quirky, innovative and really well finished and quality with absolutely no frilly bits to waste your money.

If we get wind this weekend I'll premiere them down at Elwood. Got sizes 6m thru to 12m.

Cheers

John

Ok WE got Air. :lol:

The Air Evolution have arrived and it is a radical piece of gear. Being French, built like a Citroen, quirky, innovative and really well finished and quality with absolutely no frilly bits to waste your money.

If we get wind this weekend I'll premiere them down at Elwood. Got sizes 6m thru to 12m.

Cheers

John

If i'm not flat out and the winds up i'll be there :D Can't wait to see one of these in the flesh.

Regards,

Joel

• 1 month later...

not sure if it'll be any help but we've got a cupple of vid's of the evo being used on land will be doing more soon, there on http://www.Air-evolution.co.uk

and for those that havent been lucky enough to fly one try and walk in to the world of light bar pressure precice controle and un-holy power! :twisted:

have a good'un

Nath.

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

Felt like watching this video again so I gave it a bump for all.

Also I will be out giving a demo of an Air Evo not this weekend, but next. So if anyone wants to take a look and a fly I'll be available as John will be in Tasmania for a week. Personally I haven't shaped my opinion on these, but a bit more time with it and i'm sure I will.

Also trying to organise with John the availability of one or two sizes of these kites for Sandy Point in March so that those from interstate can have a fly. They are a seriously unique design, and myself I don't have any confirmed plans on buying one (being a flexi biatch and all that), however I think it is healthy to try and fly and experiance as many kites as you can so you can form your own views on products.

Regards,

Joel

I have had an eight meter for about six months now and am using it on the water regularly.

I am 86kgs and have found that I need 16knots to get me up and running. Whilst I donÂ’t think I am qualified to write a review, or at least I know that I cannot compare it with anything other than the 15 meter Fuel, I have to admit that I am very impressed with it.

Quality of manufacture is spot on, particularly when I compare it to the young blokes 12 meter Slingshot link which has virtually disintegrated in a period of 4 months and has spent more time back at the suppliers than it has on the water.

It does have some drawbacks when used on the beach with a land board as the snow excluder very effectively keeps any sand in! However I soon learned not to land it where it was likely to get any in. ie not landing it on drifting sand etc.

Also, like any other land foil if you do stack it in the water then it is game over. Fortunately this has only happened a couple of times, both when the wind was too low.

The kite reacts beautifully and the de-power allows you to control lift much as I imagine a parasail would. Whilst I am not jumping much I have found that landing a jump on the Air Evo is infinitely easier to control than the Fuel.

The kite turns on its axis at the touch of the bar, and generates power instantly.

My next one is going to be a 12 meter and I know that it will have me going on the water in winds that wonÂ’t allow anyone else to fly!

• 6 months later...