"kite Club" - Worcester

Winja

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys, as an eXtreme Kiteshop Rider I may have the option of getting the new site opened for use one weekend. Just for us!! (and possibly a few other friends of other EKS Riders)

If anyone is interested on a weekend in May or June let me know and I will try and arrange it.

If you don't know, the new site is the best inland site this side of Wallop!

Hey Barry, long time , no see. If you can sort out a weekend I would love to come down. Great site

regards

Shane

• 2 weeks later...
had my first kiteboarding session over the bank holiday at dovey. absolutely loved it!

Was good to see you again this weekend Guy! Shame the video camera wasn't out to play yesterday! The only footage I have of you from Sunday was getting up! Can't wait for the next session - the weekend was banging!

had my first kiteboarding session over the bank holiday at dovey. absolutely loved it!

Thought I saw a few kites up Dovey side. I defected to the dark side (Borth) for Sunday/Monday where there was about 20 of us. Normally kite off Dovey and kite over to Borth.

The lagoons are better at Dovey but looks like you went straight for the rough stuff.

@ chris

cheers pal, i appreciate the pics, they help to remind myself that i actually did it!

@ FB

we saw a mass of kites down near the estuary but it was probably best that i kept out of the way of others as i didn't have much control early on!

the swell was a bit of a pain at the start.

@ Guy Probably the best thing. I kept up wind of all of them which with a 5 foot or so swell was fun. Meant some very long runs out to try and cut back up wind.

Don't be tempted to go out to far or any where in the estuary until you are really confident. Catch the tide wrong and it can have up to an 8 knot rip and will either add or subtract from your wind speed with the resulting effects. Drop your kite in it as well and you may not get it back in the air. I learnt this the hard way. Also there are some nasty rips that can form up towards the cemetery. Had my 17m flow back towards me the other week when out in some big waves which was interesting.

I perhaps see you out there towards the end of the month. Normally flying a blue/white sonic and driving a red pimped VW caravelle.

Mark

cheers mark, much needed advice as i've entered the sport pretty much blind of these sorts of issues and was just hoping my landboarding experience would see me through the early days.

on monday afternoon i started some longer runs and due to the wind direction found myself quickly out of my depth. i also noticed the strong current because at one point my board decided it would rather drift out to sea than come back to me on a wave!

i'm sure i will be up dovey again soon but plan to take kites and board to warmer climates over the summer too.

guy

Landboarding experience helped me but its a whole new world of techniques and hazards. The landings dont hurt really unlike on land as long as you have enough water under you, and you soon get use to the taste of sea water!

Get a retractable board leash. Many boards have been lost in the area and in the waves are a great help as they easily fall out of site. My board spends most of its time on my feet but I have the added security. Well worth £39 and they dont fly back at you like other leash arrangements.

Mark

sorry to bring this thread back down from the heights of kitesurfing back to a little green patch in worcester, but Im going to be at Perdi tomorrow afternoon from about 2-3pm onwards as its forcast 20mph sw and sunshine....just incase anyone else can blag the afternoon off.

Looks like you had a good time on the water Guy! Im damn tempted to give it a shot now!

Cheers Tom

Yeah I got a wetsuit, would it be ok to use phantoms? Did you guys buy/hire/borrow your water boards?

Tom

We all have our own boards and gear. You might find it tricky on a phantom - they don't have the same grunt as the venoms or other water kites - so you are going to need that much more wind, but also they are supposed to be b*stards to water relaunch (they are designed for land use rather than water). [i've also heard the same about Scorpions]

However, always worth a try, borrow someones board and all that jazz.

how come your giving it up for the year? was it doctors orders?

Just common sense really, my shoulder has now dislocated itself 8 times since the first time, and is now very weak and loose!

I am just about in the fire service and need to secure my position there before I can risk it dislocating again. So no kiting or rock climbing, instead I'm going to do cross country mountain biking, decorating and gardening :rolleyes:

I'll still be invloved in the events etc and look forward to getting through the 1 year probation period I believe the fire service has.

I'll be back!!

I'm thinking of trying (dare I say it) brickfields tomorrow, the wind looks right for it NW. will have to be a session in scooltime when all the little pikey buggers are winding up the teachers rather than stealing my kit!

Ive been there 2 or 3 times to just take a look and it does look like fun with that big drop off.

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Tom

ps Barry - wire has left my account already...should be in yours soon, damn these posh kites make a big dent in your balance!