Buggy Day Report: Lake George 120205

Sparky21

Rained a bit yesterday and last night. Today is good wind with scattered clouds. If this keeps up the surface will go rock hard!, with the wind drying out a totally new surface. Should be good!

Also took a decision to have a bit of a sale. Check out the for sale section.

Cheers

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day all,

I like buggying in mud (I am notorious with a rather stern kite festival organiser in Tassie for buggying around where I apparently shouldn't have) but I don't like my car being bogged in the middle of nowhere!

Hopefully the conditions will be good, still SE winds and cloudy conditions forecast. Wind was good today. Was out test flying Dave's new 3m Samurai (he has been well and truely bitten by the kite bug) at lunch today.

Cheers,

Wato

Canberra weather check.

Dry sunny good wind, we will not have an issues tomorrow with the conditions on the Lake chaps, if this keeps up!

For others reading this and planning on coming from Sydney. I will not be calling Matt unless there is a major problem, which based on todays weather there won't be. So we all look forward to seeing you there!

Wato, just to provide you some assurance. (just for you, becuase we know who much we have to pamper you) Mark is bringing his four wheel drive so he can pull you to safety, car buggy and all! :-)

I plan to be at the Lake around 13:00.

Cheers

Just got back from 2 hours at the local oval. If the Se winds keeps up like it was today, anything above my 4.8 will be nuts.

Sitting in the buggy, holding onto the frame so that when I got taken up the buggy came with me.

The Limo was doing the fastest speed it has ever done today, with Mark on top screaming away as normal. :-)

Cheers

Today:

I am bringing a gas element and heaps of water. Bring your own Tea Coffee Sugar, milk and cups, if you would like a hot drink! (everyone welcome)

Also if anyone wants to "cook up" feel free. I am bringing some sauages and bread along. Time will tell if I get the chance to eat, little own cook and eat, depending upon the wind and my body. :-)

Weather forecast for the day

A.C.T. FORECAST: For Saturday

Cloudy periods but fine. Light to moderate east to southeast winds.

PRECIS:

Max: 20

UV Index: 7 [High] decreasing to 5 [Moderate] under cloud.

Headline : Fine, cloudy periods.

Probability of rain: 10%.

Fire Danger Rating: Low.

Winds on Canberra lakes: East to southeast 10 to 20 km/h.

Sounds like the makings of a great day.

Just fantastic, what more can be said. Whilst the start of the day was a little slow, the wind came in for real around 16:00.

Total count of 12 kites in the air at one stage, my buggy clocked 56 km?s in total, we buggied until 20:00, where all you could do is pick out the shadow of a kite and work out where the rider and buggy was, or if lucky be looking into the moon to get some light on the subject. I think five land boards, one kite bike and more buggies than I could count. Not a bad day by anyone?s standards.

My day started by arriving to the Lake at about 12:30. The surface whist soft underneath was still nice and firm on top, so the buggy wheels (and hopefully land boarders) wheels hardly broke the surface. The rains over the last couple of days actually really help the situation.

Also for those that may have not noticed or didn't think to drop by, the cooked sauages and hot coffee went down well. I'll bring the same kit next time so feel free to bring whatever for a cook up and some coffee or tea, for a hot brew. All welcome!

The breeze was really light for the first few hours, but picked up, as usual, after Wato broke out th glider and hey presto in came an excellent, constant, wind from the south east. Wato please make sure you always bring your wind making glider!

Once the stiff breeze arrived the limo really began to develop some speed, with my top speed of 50kms per hour. Which I am sure Wato almost doubled with his home made 5.4 kite. It looked like he was going after the sound barrier at one stage.

Knowing the ?crash test dummy? aspect would not have been complete without an incident and in the knowledge that my fellow kiters were not going to hold with tradition, some one had to do something. So I managed to complete another successful crash test at around 40kms per hour. In fine ?crash test dummy? tradition. Man on day I am going to tame my Razor, one day!

Hopefully those that came enjoyed themselves, knowing that those that stuck around little the wind really came in, certainly did.

Next booking April 23rd, as a suggestion.

Look forward to seeing everyone again!

(photos posted soon. Matt send me your postal address, I took 596 photos, 993 meg in total, or I could email them ;-) )

Due to file size limitations in this site, I have uploaded about 23 photos here:

http://www.kitebuggyaustralia.kite-house.com/snaps/album08?&page=4

http://www.kitebuggyaustralia.kite-house.com/snaps/album08?&page=5

Another great day out on the Lake, cheers to the crash test dummies for having us along again, we all had a great day, I racked up 30 odd Km in total on my buggy, and a few more on the mountainboards, good stuff!

Gary, I've pm'd you my postal address, would be great to see the photos, thanks!

... I can't believe we missed the sausages!!!

"... I can't believe we missed the sausages!!!"

Matt,

You've got to get in quick where the Crash Test Dummies are concerned. A considerable amount of food is needed to fuel their stupidity!

Wato

All this from the guy who ate and drank so little that a headache resulted - shame, Shame!

For those tracking the Lake George saga, Gary (Sparky21) has started a new posting headed NEXT LAKE DAY. The 23 April is the next outing, and I'll be there. So if your interested probably best to post to the new heading.

Paul VB