Progress of a 40 seomething newby.

Zephyrus

Well, year 2 in the sport. Out with The Geoff yesterday, water start in the bag now so no problems with that, finally managed 3 x Train Jibes without sinking down, keeping upwind. Tried my first toeside, kite slightly overhead, swithch feet, nailed it, for about 2 seconda that is, forgot about the kite. What I was wondering was,was if the more experienced kiteboarders on the site keep pushing for new tricks, or settle for certain tricks ? Reason I am asking is that my venture into toeside,resulted in Geoff trying a new trick for the first time. He has been KS for years.

It's great your progress, the more you get out especially with people the more risks you take as you have someone watching your back just incase it goes wrong. Every day I usually learn something new with life in general and kite surfing is no different, going for a kitesurfing holiday with someone like Blastkiteboarding would take your kitesurfing to the next level and beyond kite surfing for two week solid .this rain needs to bugger off so I can get out in and hour or two :)

I watched Gay Andy Cov improve so much after a Blast trip. He went from a noob falling at every opportunity to a real confident kitesurfer in 2 weeks. Mind, I must say, he had a change of equipment and that completely transformed him. Still a tad gay but a good kitesurfer.

His main problem was a board that didnt suit him. Another older mate had no confidence in his kite. (Best btw) An old un admittedly but when he changed kite, he became a confident rider.

I thought when I started I would have a couple of good years left. I set my sights on being able to toeside ride. That was 4 yrs ago. I can now happily toeside ride, carve toe and heelside and now jump. There's nowt we can't do.

I mean, look at Blast. He inspires me.

Edited by mick

It's all about time....something that limits many people. I've been kitesurfing 'proper' since 2007. I only get out at weekends or when I'm on holiday. So....for arguments sake...lets say I get 50 sessions a year at an average of 2 hours per session. I get to kite about 100 hours per year and since starting I've accumulated about 700 hours. It normally takes someone several thousand hours to become expert at a new skill.... I'm pretty competent at the basics but my skills are nowhere near expert level. Learning new stuff takes more aggregate time for me and many others. You see people progress quickly during kiting holidays because it's safe, the conditions are usually good, and 10 x 5 hours a day is a full extra half year of practice and experience. Definitely to be recommended.... As someone once said, 'more is more'. :-)

I watched Gay Andy Cov improve so much after a Blast trip. He went from a noob falling at every opportunity to a real confident kitesurfer in 2 weeks. Mind, I must say, he had a change of equipment and that completely transformed him. Still a tad gay but a good kitesurfer.

His main problem was a board that didnt suit him. Another older mate had no confidence in his kite. (Best btw) An old un admittedly but when he changed kite, he became a confident rider.

I thought when I started I would have a couple of good years left. I set my sights on being able to toeside ride. That was 4 yrs ago. I can now happily toeside ride, carve toe and heelside and now jump. There's nowt we can't do.

I mean, look at Blast. He inspires me.

I think that where you are Mick is where I am aiming for, certainly Blast videos are very good at motivating me, next year I am hoping to arrange leave to coincide with a Blast destination.

About time somebody sponsored you....
Referring to KSA,

Who would you suggest. Tampax maybe? Cos sometimes he really does talk like a bleeding ...................

@ KSA. What a load of bollucks. Just an excuse mate.

@ Zephyrus. I hadnt even started at your age. :D I didnt mean Blast vids, I meant the old bstrd himself. He's on the way to Hattaras so he won't read this.

Edited by mick

Well KSA is already a brand in his own right. He's got the contacts and the know-how, so how about when the KSA Men-Only trip gets off the ground he could be on Epic kites sponsored by Blast, with a big Canesten logo emblazoned across the canopy, and what about Anusol board shorts?

Well KSA is already a brand in his own right. He's got the contacts and the know-how, so how about when the KSA Men-Only trip gets off the ground he could be on Epic kites sponsored by Blast, with a big Canesten logo emblazoned across the canopy, and what about Anusol board shorts?

I haven't bothered with the forum for ages with so much tripe posted on here but this made me smile. Cheers chap! I know I shouldn't really encourage you however.

Signing off for another month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, year 2 in the sport. Out with The Geoff yesterday, water start in the bag now so no problems with that, finally managed 3 x Train Jibes without sinking down, keeping upwind. Tried my first toeside, kite slightly overhead, swithch feet, nailed it, for about 2 seconda that is, forgot about the kite. What I was wondering was,was if the more experienced kiteboarders on the site keep pushing for new tricks, or settle for certain tricks ? Reason I am asking is that my venture into toeside,resulted in Geoff trying a new trick for the first time. He has been KS for years.

God - I would get terminally bored if I didn't always have a list of new tricks to learn. Over the last few years, I've generally learned how to do 2 new tricks a year - but then also forgotten 3 old tricks I could already do! Learning the new stuff keeps it fresh and interesting - and it doesn't have to be really painful gnarly hardcore sh1t. It helps to think about the tricks you can already do, and think what they might lead to, like for example the old humble backroll can lead to: double backrolls, boosted backrolls or popped backrolls (whichever you can't do), backroll kiteloops (hand drag optional), backroll transition, backroll to toeside, inverted backrolls, unhooked backrolls, grabbed backrolls, downlooped backrolls, etc etc.... so with just 1 single trick in mind, you've got loads of variety not involving any massive changes.

But I don't think learning tricks is a major requirement surely. Thats a personal achievement and ambition. There are many competent kitesurfers who just mow and occasionally jump a bit. KSA is a good example. Or even me. Its the same as saying a buggyist has to do freestyle or go airbourne. Its whatever floats your board.

But I don't think learning tricks is a major requirement surely. Thats a personal achievement and ambition. There are many competent kitesurfers who just mow and occasionally jump a bit. KSA is a good example. Or even me. Its the same as saying a buggyist has to do freestyle or go airbourne. Its whatever floats your board.

Definitely agree. One of the best things about kitesurfing is how versatile it is and that most riders can find a level that works for them. Some people hate light wind kiting but when you're out on a beautiful day and the water is like glass it can be amazing. No one is going to do tricks when it's like that and trick monkeys will be bored witless whereas those are some of my favourite sessions. I know people who don't go out unless it's blowing >20 mph....but that just leaves more space for me...:-). The whole racing / foil board scene is taking kiting into different areas again. Wave riding....strapped or strapless....and on and on and on. Do what works. Try new stuff if it appeals. Enjoy yourself and the boy / girl with the biggest grin at the end of the day is the winner IMHO.