Single line replacement or re splice

Cypher

Hi

My friend has a 4 line trust bar and He asked me about a mod to change it to single line flagging (another story posted here), however when I saw the bar and started to undo the lines I noticed that 1 of the power lines has "degraded" (not sure of what other word to use, but part of the outer line is no longer there, meaning all that is left is the inner core. It is difficult to see and it was only my fingers that caught it)

So the question is, anyone know of a place to get a "single" North power line for a 4 line trust bar (24m) lines although the power line is less than that, obviously getting a new one is likely to mean a little variance between the 2 lines so a lightly used one would suffice.

He understands the risks of used lines, but doesn't have much cash now since he was made redundant last year, so cheap is the word ... ;) (while still be safe of course)

The other alternative is to get all 4 lines re spliced, removing approx 20cm - 30cm from each line, if so does anyone know the costs and recommendations??

My friend lives in London so will likely mean shipping the lines somewhere to have them re spliced.

Cheers

It's dam near impossible to splice anything under 2mm. You can't splice kite lines. You can easily splice 3/4mm centre lines (Amsteel, Vectran or Dyneema) which run through the hole in the bar. You can buy sleeving kites for shortening and altering lines, these work on friction and are fairly easy to use but getting 4 lines the exact same length is not easy.

I would say send the money and buy a set of 2 or 4 ozone lines from power kiteshop or others.

It's dam near impossible to splice anything under 2mm. You can't splice kite lines. You can easily splice 3/4mm centre lines (Amsteel, Vectran or Dyneema) which run through the hole in the bar. You can buy sleeving kites for shortening and altering lines, these work on friction and are fairly easy to use but getting 4 lines the exact same length is not easy.

I would say send the money and buy a set of 2 or 4 ozone lines from power kiteshop or others.

You can, I've seen it being done for joining a broken line How to fix a broken fly line:

Buggy racers splice their lines quite often after snapping them..

Just a tad different tho eh?

Going by the video I posted, it's alot stronger than the original line after splicing as your doubling up the line where it snap also in the video if it wasn't safe I don't think they'd put it on the web...... so mick [emoji15]

Slingshot power lines are eye spliced from factory as they are slightly thicker than standard kite lines. I have shortened 2mm kite lines using eye splices with no problem. Either a long bury (with a stitched tail) or a Brummel. For thinner lines, you can cut and sheath the lines and secure using a figure 8 until you can have them professionally stitched. If you are not confident with splicing then just bite the bullet and get a new line set, I think genuine North quad line sets can be had for around £99 if you shop around

Can't you just put the frayed ends at the kite end and lose 30 mm off each line ? But put a heat sleeve / sheath on all off the line knots you have tied?

1 you wont see them

2 they won't get tangled. .?

3 safety first go out get new pig tails as they are disposable £ 10 FOR 4

• 2 weeks later...