Be thoughtful of your kit

SonnyRider

Ok, so after much deliberation I've decided to post my thoughts about a recent 'incident' at my local

This is the cut down version of events

Basically

If you have many items for your kitesurfing, i.e a couple of boards

And you decide to use both or some or many of these items at one session. Be aware of a pitfall and lack of morals from other users of your choice of beach for that day :mad:

The day in question I was out on my TT and came back in for a rest & fluids. When I went back out, I chose to use one of my surfboards as the waves were getting nice to play in

Stupidly, I left my TT on the beach. Like I always have done for the past several years. Like many others do at this particular spot

Well, some fucktard decided because a TT was left alone on the beach with no-one near it it was safe to presume it was a freebee. So that same fucktard took it home with him and it became his.

When found with my board at the very same beach nearly one month later. And questioned to where the F he obtained the board. He said it was 'washed up in the shallows" "no-one around it" so presumed it was an act of the gods(I think) and it was his to keep.

Once being accused of being a thieving cnt, he voiced he was not. We obviously disagreed. So he said maybe I should call the police. I agreed this was a good path to take seeing as its 'disappearance' was reported to the police.

I went to use my phone to call them and typically, no friggin signal :rolleyes:

Then I get a few people who knew this tard saying, nah, he wouldn't steal from you, he's sound. (these are the same people who knew my board was taken from the beach as they were there that day)

He even came back with the local beach ranger and the ranger said the same. Nah, he wouldn't steal from you

I did point out, that taking a kitesurf item from a kitesurf beach, when there were kiters out there and not trying to find the owner is technically theft.

He didn't even contact the local kite shop asking them if they knew the owner. Nor did he report his 'finding' of the board to the police

Hence my comment that the gods gave it to him

So, be aware of some users, some of them are fucktards and will take stuff it it suits them

What really makes it suspect. On the day of the disappearance, he was talking to my GF about kit etc. and how expensive kite boards are! :confused:

My final thoughts -

Do not leave kites or boards unattended because some 'special' people will think it's been left there for them to have and to hold

Be careful, there are some complete cnts out there with no morals whatsoever. AND he is a kitesurfer!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY

Yes, this is a rant :mad:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, did you get it back? As for trust. We've seen lately that there is some scum bags about. I think the majority are great guys but just the 2 or 3 that assume its alrite to do this stuff.

I was gonna say theres 2 sides to every story but it wouldnt be funny.

Edited by mick

I did get it back

But the fact that a 'fellow' kitesurfer took it from the beach and didn't try to find its rightful owner really boils my piss.

As far as he was concerned it was his to use. His plan was to use the board that day I found it in his possession :mad:

It is a sad world we live in, if we have to be wary of other kitesurfers :(

that is wrong on so many levels! sounds like he had plenty of opportunity to ask at the beach beforee taking it to keep it 'safe', he could have posted on a nummber forums etc etc.

its all very sad as we are not the hugest communtiy and would like to think we are all like minded......but there are allsorts that kite, the same as any other group of people i guess.

The only thing i would say is if he knowingly stole it, why o h why would he take it back to the same beach to ride it.....what a dumbass!

anyway, its clear he is a ****, glad you got your board back. Have learnt a few things on these forums of late, none of which im particularly happy about :(:mad:

Very disappointing to hear.

I guess some of this may be just a 'sign of the times' we are in at the moment. Lots of people struggling, possibly tempted to behave in ways they would not normally.

Not defending it in any shape or form. Just be aware that when the chips are down, scruples can take a back seat unfortunately.

I think the same can be said for one of the other threads on this forum..

^^ yes, you are right. So many levels of wrong

Another part of this is the people who knew him and all spoke highly of him. But yet, I know he had been kiting a couple of times when I wasn't there so he would've been using my board. Not one of them and there were a few, questioned him about his 'new' board.

These same people that knew my board had been taken!

Like Paulie says, have some of our beaches become outdoor shops to help yourself to nice 'new' kit?

Very disappointing to hear.

I guess some of this may be just a 'sign of the times' we are in at the moment. Lots of people struggling, possibly tempted to behave in ways they would not normally.

Not defending it in any shape or form. Just be aware that when the chips are down, scruples can take a back seat unfortunately.

I think the same can be said for one of the other threads on this forum..

No, people are like that regardless if their chips are down or not

They always have been like that. It is not an excuse or anything to be thought of differently

I feel for you I really do!! Thats awful. Where has the trust gone!!!!! Sad times......

I for one have never and will never leave any of my expensive gear lying around on any beach in the world regardless of the area or remoteness! (If thats a word)

Alot of kitesurfers around my way leave kites pumped up on the beach whilst out at low tide nearly 3/4 mile away......... Boards lying round.....buggies mountain boards!! Bonkers in my view!!!

If that situation happened at Ainsdale however.... He would definitely have a visit from the NWNB! ;)

I for one have never and will never leave any of my expensive gear lying around on any beach in the world regardless of the area or remoteness! (If thats a word)

Yeah but it's pretty hard with some remote beaches just to take one kite with you, especially if you get different forecasts - "wasting" additional 30 minutes getting back and forth to the car sometimes isn't an option if you're on an quick after work sess. There's always a risk that some random cnt will pick up your stuff but normally there's a bunch of kiters around. It sucks to hear that one of us would do that :/

you could "maybe" expect this from joe public who just happens to see your board lying on the beach and doesn't know any wiser but one of your local kiters. no way!! im just glad that I know most of the people I kite with and trust most of them.

Same thoughts here. But this is the 'trouble' when new faces turn up at the beach partaking in our sport.

It has tainted my view on that beach now :(

But lesson learnt, I will never leave anything out again. No matter how tempting to be 'lazy' for a kite or board change

If it happened where I think it did then I'm pretty disapointed and shocked that another kiter has done such a thing. I think your usual spot is mine too and I quite often carry 2 kites through the dunes leaving one lying on the beach whilst I fly the other, about 3/4 mile away.

Just to check, was it a beach in SW starting with p? What worries me is that I might actually know the guy, not sure a public name and shame is in order but wouldn't mind knowing who among us was blessed with a gift from his god.

Let's presume the guy did genuinely think it had been washed up - which I don't believe for a moment - he should still have tried to track down the owner and/or report it to the police or maritime authorities (it's complex when it comes to beaches and maritime salvage laws), otherwise it's theft by finding.

But there's something far worse going on - why didn't he report it to the coastguard? If he honestly thought it was a lost board then for all he knew there was a kitesurfer bobbing about after a DWP and desperately hoping somebody was looking for him.

He didn't just steal a board, he potentially left a kitesurfer to die at sea.

Let's presume the guy did genuinely think it had been washed up - which I don't believe for a moment - he should still have tried to track down the owner and/or report it to the police or maritime authorities (it's complex when it comes to beaches and maritime salvage laws), otherwise it's theft by finding.

But there's something far worse going on - why didn't he report it to the coastguard? If he honestly thought it was a lost board then for all he knew there was a kitesurfer bobbing about after a DWP and desperately hoping somebody was looking for him.

He didn't just steal a board, he potentially left a kitesurfer to die at sea.

Would you really associate a washed up board with a surfer in danger?

I just don't get this, it totally sucks.

Sonny was still out kiting as probably were others why would he presume it was just washed in..from where exactly?

I think he knew exactly what he was doing.

I've spent most of my life on the beach, surfing/windsurfing/kite/sup etc and am used to leaving kit on the beach and knowing I can at least trust other fellow surfers etc bloody hell I've seen plenty of general public pick up a random board left on the shoreline (often mine) and take it to the nearest kiter to hand it over.

When we are teaching at the beach we often have lots of kites/boards etc left on the beach and we rely heavily on trust from the other kiters present to watch all kit on the beach, there is often bloody dozens of kites spread out at high tide as many take down more than one kite or board .....I honestly never thought we'd have to watch out for a kitesurfer though!