peak on handles

ssayre

• 1 month later...

funny you should ask, I was just experimenting with the Peak again today.  I longboarded using the peak bar but swapped the long line for 5 meter lines.  I used the bar and hooked in with harness like normal.  It flies and works perfectly with short lines.  However, I had a very hard time riding toeside hooked in with the bar.  Unhooked and using handles provides a freedom of movement and a much improved level of control that the bar doesn't.  The peak also flies very well on the bar while unhooked and you maintain freedom of movement but you lose depower ability.  The peak on handles allows the best of both worlds.  You can easily depower the kite by pointing the bottom of the handles towards the kite, your turning ability increases exponentially because you can impart much more input on either steering line by simply pulling the entire handle towards you as you use your wrist to turn the handle for additional input.  With a bar you can only turn so far before having to grab a handful of steering line which is cumbersome.  After today's trial on the bar and hooked in, I'm thoroughly unimpressed with using the bar and harness with streetkiting.  I'm going to put the long lines back on the bar for use with buggy and I'm going to install my 5 meter lines on my handles.  That way all I have to do is disconnect lines from kite to switch back and forth.

Oddly enough, my nasa stars are just the opposite.  I very much prefer using a bar over handles because they turn just as well and it frees up a hand.

@ssayre I seem to go okay with toeside with my ozone base harness. Although I use the one with the loop rather than a spreader bar. So it tends to be more flexible than a spreader bar system. Maybe u could unhook for toe side? Or look at the moveable spreader bar system? Which I think @SoutherlyBuster has or had in the past.?!?

Sniff, sniff, someone mention my name :) . Yes I have used a sliding spreader bar in the past, does help, but the biggest help is switching to a waist harness, makes toe side comfortable rather than feeling like a contortionist. The waist harness gives you so much more rotational flexibility in your body. Now that I use a waist harness I no longer use a sliding cross bar.

@ssayre, it's not only that the waist harness can slip around a bit to align better, the seat harness constrains your body from twisting. I found it most noticable when carving on my surfboard + kite, could do things with the waist harness that were difficult to do with the seat harness, much more fluid with the waist harness. This then translates well to toe side riding. Also the waist harness is better for my back, winner all round.

Regards,

Norman.

• 2 months later...

Peak 1's are simple 4 line with front line flag out.  Not sure about the peak 2's safety??  Either way, I used another 5 meter set of lines and handles that I had and just disconnected the original bar and lines at the kite so I could put it back on the bar without swapping lines (which I have done and is kind of a pain IMO)

Edited by ssayre

Peak 1's are simple 4 line with front line flag out.  Not sure about the peak 2's safety??  Either way, I used another 5 meter set of lines and handles that I had and just disconnected the original bar and lines at the kite so I could put it back on the bar without swapping lines (which I have done and is kind of a pain IMO)

Peak-2s have the same 4-line flag out. I would think that whatever you did on a P1 you could also do on a P2. 

• 5 months later...
On June 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM, ssayre said:

On June 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM, ssayre said:

Just in case you missed this in the longboard thread. Winds 8-15

In many ways @ssayre this video remains one of my favorite of yours.  The fluidity combined with your choice of music just works for me.  Rewatching this has me excited to try my peaks on handles.  You on the board on asphalt, me on skateson grass but similar idea nonetheless.  I've got some 20m lines already rigged up on handles for use with my small (soon to be z-bridled NS3s) but I've also got a set of 5m lines that I use as extenders on my 12m Peak2 when I need to eek out just a little more juice on super light wind days.

On the skates I am far more comfortable having some DP at my disposal as compared to the more full on throttle feel of the NS3s but maybe I'll feel differently about that as I gain more experience. 

Alright, that became an odd looking double post....   :Oh-shit:

Thanks @windstruck. This is one of my favorites as well. I've made another set of handles and I'm anxious to use the peak for longboard again soon. i think I'm going to follow your lead and fly the ns2s on handles for awhile as well to keep things fresh. 

Having depower at your disposal without being hooked in is a unique flying sensation. 

6 hours ago, ssayre said:

Thanks @windstruck. This is one of my favorites as well. I've made another set of handles and I'm anxious to use the peak for longboard again soon. i think I'm going to follow your lead and fly the ns2s on handles for awhile as well to keep things fresh. 

Having depower at your disposal without being hooked in is a unique flying sensation. 

6 hours ago, ssayre said:

Good call on the NS2s off of handles. When you're ready to step up to the Major Leagues with a 12.5m NS3 you know where to find me. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Flew my 6m Peak2 today off of handles and 20m lines!  My 4m is getting some repairs done on it and would have been the better choice today and I was overpowered with the cheeseburger wrapper in the sky. Interesting feeling to say the least and something that would take some repetition to build in the right muscle memory. In short, it feels sort of backwards, with increasing tension on the brake lines sheeting in the kite and slackening the brake lines sheeting the kite out. 

One thing I would do if I were to make a habit out of this is buy some longer handles. The ones I used today were some PL standard length ones I had laying around. The longer ones would work better akin to more bar travel when hooked up normally. 

Fun to try something new!