Kitesurfing etiquette

white noise

We do all that and some of the 'experienced' guys still have to do a flyby to show how cool they are. This really presses my button...

Your right. Its not on, I'd love to say I understand it but I don't. Was out on Friday supervising my girlfriend and this fairly competent rider keeps coming close, when there is the whole beach, and we are deliberately out of the way of everyone else.

Had a quiet word and he apologised later but surely a good rider would just find somewhere else to ride?

Well common sense isn't that common.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah, keep it at the zenith.. any competent rider should be able to navigate their way around/past/away from it.

Disagree.

Stationery people/bodydraggers (i.e. beginners) get right of way, all i'm saying is; if they are worried about other kiters they should keep the kite still and let the other rider get out the way.

Not arguing about whether the rider should or shouldn't be there in the first place.

As for the high kites yes it can be a pain. i went out the other day, i get to the water and put my board on, some other dude rides in 6ft downwind of me, takes his board off and stands there with his kite above him... I'm just sitting looking at him burning a hole in the back of his head like wtf, i cant even dive my kite to get out the way. eventually he clicked and moved his kite to 11, enough to let me dive and ride away..

• 3 weeks later...
i thought it was common knowledge that all kites gave way to Slingshot kites?

:p

I always thought kitesurfing was an enjoyable sport. seriously, if either novice or advanced riders irritate you, whichever you may be, do feel free to stop kitesurfing. Leave the rest of us who enjoy it with more room.

Having been out on the day white noise is refering to I know he was in the right as there is such a massive area to ride at Exmouth that he can do what he likes with his kite(ie, zenith or not) and people should still avoid him if he was learning. The one thing I would say, is if begginers are learning in fairly shallow flat water areas, don't be suprised when "advanced" riders are near you as your in the nice areas of water and some just won't be able to resist.

i was at hunny today mental wind, and still learning to stay on my board most of the flyers could see i was learning and did what they had to to get around me whether my kite was at the zenith or at the edge i was pretty much in the middle of the pack maybe not the best place to be but it makes you think more like what i need to do if so and so happens and see what othere flyers are doing around you and gets you used to being fairly tight to one another daunting as it may seem again i have wondered where my kite should be at certain times but it will all come to when i am amongst them all.

most people ar missing the point here that he got a lift to the bar, which if the wind is onshore puts him in a wierd position for a learner. it is the other side of a channel which has a crazy current dependant on which way the tid eis going. if someone is struggling to get out, as they cross the bar the current dissapears and a couiple of barrage ballons in the way become a major snag. equally someone who is pretty good may lose ground fast once past the bar again depandant on tide.

all part of the learning knowing what the water is doing and your impact on the whole situation and though its easy to say the better guys should avoid its not cut and dry as this guy has been plonked out to sea and when its marginal the channel can be an upwindavator

Yesterday I was trying to get to grips with waterstarts, the wind was pretty crackers...

Anyway, there I was sat on me arse in the shallows with my kite above me, when a seasoned dood came hooning past just upwind of me. I due-ly dropped me kite down low with it parked just off the deck. I turned my head round to wait for him to pass, on the turn he came zipping by with a big grin on his face, gave me a big thumbs up and shouted "Cheers" as he zipped by.

It felt good not "getting in the way" :)

Thanks for this thread and the information contained within

Maybe he/she didn't want to lose much ground downwind getting past you with the wind being direct on shore.

I don't see why he had to be 'that' close when one of the others was further downwind on a previous tack

It's mid summer, the water is busy, Westward Ho! is a crowded spot, people ARE going to ride close to you. You really need to deal with it...

If the beach was so crowded and there was nowhere else then yes, I would agree. But as I said, I went right down the far end and 95% of the other riders left that small area I was in, then why couldn't high five guy?(or any of the others for that matter)

The beach\water wasn't that crowded, if it was I wouldn't have gone out. I know what I'm doing with a kite, I just having issues with the starts

I just struggle with the mixed message we learners get from the 'experienced' riders.

Stay out of our way...

Go further downwind or go to the edge of the beach where you can kite.

We do all that and some of the 'experienced' guys still have to do a flyby to show how cool they are. This really presses my button... same as how newbies getting in your way press yours:rolleyes:

and it was a light wind.. so light I gave up on my 14m.. others where on their 16's and giving up.

or just maybe, my willy isn't as big as all the others out there and I just need to wave it around some more? will it get bigger then?

Its not a case of people doing flybys to show off, its a case of them getting pissed off with people sat with their kite at 12 oclock in an onshore wind in the middle of the beach with nowhere else to go other than downwind.

I learned to kitesurf on flag beach, Fuertaventura and on every day there were 500 - 1000 kites in the air. The point isnt 'go to the end of the beach' to get away from the crowds, you have to learn how to kite safely when your in them. When you waterstart, if theres somebody trying to get behind you its common sence and respectful to put your kite lower so they dont loose their edge and run into you, particularly in choppy onshore conditions we get in the uk, its also a right of way rule is it not?

Saying 'i'm a learner, I need space' doesnt wash with me atall. I know your reactions are slower than the more experienced riders, and its understandable - nobodys expecting you to be able to ride upwind and do everything on your first few sessions.. Just learn to lower your kite when people are riding behind you, then you can put it back up when their not - how simple is that? That way people wont buzz you down wind because they wont need to.

With kitesurfing becoming more popular theres no way you can expect to get out and have a session with no people around you on a popular kitesurfing spot. Sure we all get it wrong sometimes, and generally those incidents are forgotten about, what presses my button though is people who think its their god given right to sail on a deserted part of the beach - dont you think thats what everybody, even experienced riders want to do?

Ive been out in ecuador for a few months and there are no right of way rules or the locals just dont care the only people that show any sense are the western riders so you just class it like riding a bike everyone is a idiot look out for your self

And avoid lerners its sad but most of the western riders say its a sad fact of life now and a lot have been riding since 2000 ish

We are all learners at the end of the day, i feel like i need just as much, if not more room when learning a powered pass or an F16 then someone does when learning to water start.

I try not to pass too closely so people that i dont know but still, i dont really want to lose loads of ground downwind, and then have to make it up in the next couple of tacks before i can try a trick, just because he/she was too ignorant to lower their kite so i could easily pass behind them.

i was at hunny today mental wind, and still learning to stay on my board most of the flyers could see i was learning and did what they had to to get around me whether my kite was at the zenith or at the edge i was pretty much in the middle of the pack maybe not the best place to be but it makes you think more like what i need to do if so and so happens and see what othere flyers are doing around you and gets you used to being fairly tight to one another daunting as it may seem again i have wondered where my kite should be at certain times but it will all come to when i am amongst them all.

well done for having the confidence to get out there in the gustyish winds and crowded conditions, its quite clear that if your a bit apprehensive in the shallows people will quite easily give way, i had a brilliant weekend and thought nothing of a few riders finding there feet in the water. i for one would not wanted to go out in such busy conditions just starting out, it will make you a far better more courteous kiter for it.:)