Building a new PC

Mark Everitt

Can Anyone help

I want to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard.....

I am looking at the AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 3800+

wot do u think any good.... I'm doing alot of power hungry stuff at the mo and i need either a dual system or this CPU....

Wots the best course of action??? Havent got loads to spend though....

Also wot motherboard is the one to go for??? I have both SATA and IDE HDD's.... not bothered about Firewire I have a card.... But i Don't want onboard Grafix...... Onboard sound is not on my list either..... There's so much stuff about i don't know what to go for......

HELP!!!!!

Currently i am looking on www.overclockers.co.uk

Many Thanks

MArk

Yo Mark, been building my own pc's for years now, I think Appo is in the I.T trade so I am sure he can help ya's out, I tend to use this site for reviews on what gear to buy http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html.

If its heavy graphics stuff you are doing consider an SLI motherboard, Asus is a damn good brand, not he cheapest on hte market tho.

Carl.

I wouldnt bother with the AMD, im guessing its 64bit??? If it is, I would save your money and buy something smaller, the bus on the board will not be 64 bit, probably 32bit if its the hyper transport, so the processor will only run at 32bit and not 64, therefore its a waste of word size, I think :confused:

I wouldnt bother with the AMD, im guessing its 64bit??? If it is, I would save your money and buy something smaller, the bus on the board will not be 64 bit, probably 32bit if its the hyper transport, so the processor will only run at 32bit and not 64, therefore its a waste of word size, I think :confused:

nah, it's full 64bit. But only if you're using 64bit optimised software and windows xp-pro64!

Can Anyone help

I want to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard.....

I am looking at the AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 3800+

Dual core is good, but it won't help with power hungry apps as it's effectively 2 processors working together and only programmes written to take advantage of this will see an increase (photoshop cs2 is the only one I know of at the mo) Where it will help is if you're multitasking, i.e you can encode video on one processor and then run photoshop on the other with little loss of speed.

The onboard sound is pretty much granted on most boards today and to be honest, unless you're writing music they're all up to the job.

Onboard vga is poo, you're right. But you wont see any benefit from sli unless you're playing ghames at very high quality quality and resolutions.

Personaly, if it was me, I'd be going for a socket 939 epox motherboard, about 2gig of ram in dual channel mode, then whatever money you have left for the fastest processor you can afford. Unless you're playing games then pretty much any pci-e graphics card will do you ok. Your SATA and ide drives will be compatable as will any DVD drives etc. Justy make sure you leave money for a decent power supply (NOT QTECH!!!!!) of about 500w plus.

Think that about covers it, and I hope it helps.

Spencer