HELP! New to kiting and needing a little...erm...help?!!

converttokites

Hi Everyone,

I've recently finished my three day kite surfing course (thanks very much to my awesome instructor Steve!) and have got myself sorted with my first set up (Naish Hero board and a Cabrinha Crossbow 10m which looks the bits in my opinion!). The only trouble is, with the job that I have, getting out when there's any wind at all has so far proven REALLY tricky, I've only managed to get out once on my own!

I think I've lost my confidence in what I'd learned and my ability and now I'm a bit stressed out about getting wet on my own?!

My local beach is Westward Ho! and I was just wondering if there was anyone who kites down there that might be up for giving a novice a bit of guidance and support just so I can get back into the groove again? I would have an instructed lesson again but timing days off/wind/instructor availability is just impossible!

If there's anyone down this way with the patience of a saint and who wouldn't mind a beer on me in return for a little time if you happen to be down the beach then hope to hear from you?!

I hope you're all having beautiful weekends?!

Cheers

Cheers for that guys, I would stck a sign up on my van asking for a launch but I'll be easy to spot.....I'll be the one bouncing down WWH! beach on my ass! As for the buggy thing, I think it's same as kiting on a restricted area basis, anything to the right of the lifeguard hut is fair game? It's a bit of a mess down here at the minute after the epic pounding the beach/ ridge took over the past few weeks!

Also, is there another wind/weather forecast site I can try? I was recommended XC Weather but this has so far proven to be not so reliable for WWH! especially as I self rota at work and try to skive when it looks like there may be a bit of a breeze!!

Get yourself up to speed with self launching and landing. OK you may get a launch but there will be loads of times you come ashore and there's no one to land you. There's loads of threads on the subject. Just hit the search button or alternatively, to get our opinions and selected methods, just ask. Oh OK then :D Large Ikea bag full of sand OR solid post or some form of anchor with a snap shackle attached via webbing ratchet or locking strap.

1: If you actually mean "on your own" as in nobody else around then you're right to be nervous about it. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone, I've done it myself on account of there being no kitesurfers round here when I first moved up, but I was exceedingly careful, stuck well within my comfort zone and tried to make sure there was somebody on the beach keeping half an eye on me. Kitesurfing's not a good solo sport, you're many times safer with other people. What happens if you crash and bust a knee or dislocate a shoulder?

2: Did they teach you the hand signals? The "I could do with a hand landing" (and launching) signal is patting yourself on the head. Kitesurfers are generally a pretty friendly bunch and usually willing to help out.

mmm Mick ! Ikea bag, be warned the straps can snap on these bags they are designed to be used as an kite anchor ,

better option old kite bag/Rugsack with heavy duty straps , filled with sand ,and large carabinha

I'm sure you mean they are NOT designed to be used as anchors but it does clearly say in IKEA blurb "Den stora blå väskan är mycket praktiskt för shopping och som en drake ankare" There ya go mate.

While I agree largely with the Geoff, I also feel that kitesurfing on your own is a tremendous unwind. I think I spend 75% of my wet time on my own and certainly, in the last 4 yrs abroad, I've only met one other kitesurfer. I would tho say, you must take every possible precaution when on your own. Bouyancy aid, helmet, leash

AND THEN !!!!! Shit will happen. Trust me. Everyone on here has a story to tell. Everyone !!! The difference between a kitesurfer and a kitesurfer is the way they deal with the situation when it does happen eventually.

Roll up all you drama queens. Spill the beans about your shit. ( The moose is a whinger. He'll have a story. Probably broke a nail somewhere along the way)

There's 2 reasons I suggested asking for a launch, a) it's obviously safer and a bit less wearing than solo, b) it's a good way to introduce yourself and get to know other kiters.

That's what the origonal post was asking about, I often meet new guys at the beach and keep an eye on them just in case they find themself in a spot of bother, most of my buddies do the same, us kiters are generally a good bunch.

I wouldn't advise self launching or landing to someone new to kites.

I think we all look out for each other. Well, I'd like to think most do. I would deffo LEARN how to self launch and land as an almost priority but thats my opinion and others may/usually disagree.

Personally, I keep an eye out for noobs and offer assistance when I think its necessary or asked for BUT I tend to rock up, set up and if alone self launch or if theres someone available, ask for a launch. Its without doubt safer to have a launch and land assist where possible.

Edited by mick
Spelling mistake picked up by Vaj of the year

I think we all look out for each other. Well, I'd like to think most do. I would deffo LEARN how to self launch and land as an almost priority but thats my opinion and others may/usually disagree.

Personally, I keep an eye out for noobs and offer assistance when I think its neccessary or asked for BUT I tend to rock up, set up and if alone self launch or if theres someone available, ask for a launch. Its without doubt safer to have a launch and land assist where possible.

Necessary just has the 1 c mick, I hate f**kers that cannot spell