weather and sea conditions

amphibianalf

hi all ...

as our sport is dependent on both weather and sea conditions I'd like to learn a little about them and how they effect each other, I've lived in London all of my life and never really been in tune, or needed to know this before.

it's ok looking at the various weather sites and see the wind is blowing or forecast but what's the sea gonna be like when ya get there ...

what's brought this on is there was wind in shoreham this weekend, I went to the beach for a play and couldn't get on my board for the swell, waves and shore dump, I managed once only to go skidding along the top of a wave and back on my ar** again ..

I talk to mates who seem to know exactly what its going to be like at different times, wind directions and sea states, does anyone know of a web site where I can look to learn this or even a book ...

I spose it wont matter so much when I'm actually riding competently its just at the moment I'd rather save the fuel money and pick and choose my sessions for conditions that would suit my level, don't get me wrong I'm perfectly happy doing what I'm doing but its not as productive as it could be ..

......cheerz....AL....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shore dump at Shoreham can be evil at high tide. If the wind is directly onshore then it's extremely difficult to get past it even if you can ride competently upwind.

Better to head there if it's cross shore or cross-on then you can body drag out on an angle to get past it, aim for lower tide.

Goring on Sea is flatter as is Lancing, again not at high tide if you want to avoid the shore dump.

So look at the wind forecast, strength as well as direction, avoid directly onshore...check out the tide times and you'll improve your luck on easier conditions.

Thanks for the tips ..

And Andrew I've seen that done many times on the beach, but me, one phrase springs to mind...

"Train wreck" ?

I visualise it, and I look great, but in practice I end up underwater with my board on the beach waiting for me 100 yards away ? .. It's not gonna stop me trying coz I feel I'm providing a service to the other people on the beach, entertainment ..

I still wanna learn more about the weather though ..

Keep the tips coming, I might look for a buddy to kite with to try get some tips ..I'll just keep plugging away at it .. I'll be the one underwater on shoreham tomorrow ?

...cheerz...AL..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My local beach is a nightmare for shore dump. I ride boots there only if its manageable to ride off the beach .... Ie. the dump is small and the wind is cross shore of some nature. If not I ride straps and body drag out till I'm past the shore dump and its safe to get my board on my feet. Don't even bother with shore dump if its bang on shore!

If I was you though I would go to Lancing and forget Shoreham. Shoreham is a good wave spot and lancing is shallow and relitively flat. It's only 5mins west of Shoreham.

Thanks for the tips ..

And Andrew I've seen that done many times on the beach, but me, one phrase springs to mind...

"Train wreck" ?

I visualise it, and I look great, but in practice I end up underwater with my board on the beach waiting for me 100 yards away ? .. It's not gonna stop me trying coz I feel I'm providing a service to the other people on the beach, entertainment ..

I still wanna learn more about the weather though ..

Keep the tips coming, I might look for a buddy to kite with to try get some tips ..I'll just keep plugging away at it .. I'll be the one underwater on shoreham tomorrow ?

...cheerz...AL..

I don't think andys saying do a beach start. what he means is walk into the water then stand on your board and push it to the floor. get in your bindings then between waves, sit down, bring your board up and board start

If there is a shore dump - just body drag over it. drive in, board in hand and use the kite to pull you through it - once past the dump you can water start.

Not worth risking the whole starting on your board thing unless you have that practised. Probably just damage yourself or the board.

Dom Moore at the Surf Sanctuary does courses about ocean confidence and a lot of that is learning to read conditions and spot hazards.

I watched my mate try to board start in shore dump as you say Andy, He got knocked over by a 5/6ft shore dump which made him kite loop his self up the beach about 30m. Luckily it was low tide otherwise he would have probably been in the road.

It was his first and last experience kiting at a beach with shore dump. He started with his board when there was a break in the waves but as he sent his kite to ride a monster wave came out of know where and broke on top of him.

If you do get caught out in shore dump let go of the bar

Hi all and thanks so much for the tips ..

I didn't go out at the weekend ..I checked the wind station before leaving home and it was bang on shore with 5-6 foot waves predicted so I knew it would be rough so I'll pick my sessions for now till I'm up and riding more consistently ..I don't mind the rough conditions but I can't get a lot done .. At the moment I'm able to get out whenever the wind blows within reason and I'm not giving up for the cold weather ..so if ya see a short bald fat bloke on shoreham or lancing beach floundering about and flying Kahoona's come and say hi and pass on these tips to me in person ..

Cheerz guys ...AL...

to get out over the shore dump , its practice/timing . I go in line with the beach until I have reached enough speed , to hop over the small shore dump ,its difficult as the froth reduces the water surface tension, and if you don't have enough speed you will sink ,

once enough speed is maintained , you can ride straight up a wave , as long as you lift the nose of your board right up ,

The shore dump at Shoreham can easily be over head height and it's just not a case of hopping over it. At its worst the water at the shoreline completely sucks back into the wave which ramps up into an evil tube leaving the shallow bit of water you were scooting along completely dry!

Then comes the nasty bit....you either have to jump the massive towering wave of death which is rapidly approaching...or abort by frantically getting your board off of your feet and sprinting up the beach before several tons of water sucks you up and then hurls you onto the beach on your head. If you survive this then you have to worry about your kite which will probably be looping by now and about to fire you like a projectile up the beach....

As an intermediate kitesurfer who can jump proficiently, gybe, ride toeside etc I find the high tide shore dump at Shoreham extremely scary....I will ALWAYS drag out past it when it's that big.

@ Amphibianalf, it seems like your local spots aren't ideal for learning but the only way to overcome these problems is just to get out there and have a go. Learning about how the swell works and what affect the weather can have is likely to help with things generally but there's no substitute to local knowledge and some experiance.

Recently on a trip we did Sarah and I did a downwinder and the beach we were starting from had a 6-8 ft shore dump with directly cross shore 7-9m winds...I consider myself experienced enough for the said conditions but there was no way I was going to start on the board in the shallows (or the mrs) on that day in those conditions.

We both had to time it right and had to wait for the moment, run at it and drag straight out through it, whilst the rest of our group watched from the beach secretly hoping we'd get stuffed!

It all depends on many circumstances your faced with and as Maro says, sometimes it's just a case of getting on with it but also sometimes it's a case of recognising it's simply beyond your ability....before you break yourself or your kit.

Hi all.. I really appreciate the comments and tips .. Thanks..

As a couple of you have pointed out shoreham can be evil at times .. And then I just don't go out and pop round a mates for a coffee if he's not out in it .. I would like to understand the make up of the conditions better ..

As for local knowledge I give a mate a call and he's really helpful being a local skipper and a kiter but I don't want to keep bothering him ..I look at all the weather web sites then call him and he lets me know what it's really gonna be like ..

It's not looking good for a few days and the only day wind is forecast and no rain I've gotta be at home for a delivery, still I got plenty of time .. Roll on summer?...

Cheerz.... AL...