12 to 15m Foils

Spielson

Looking for something bigger than my 10m access XT for lighter wind days 8-12mph looking at 12/15m kites. I weigh about 84kgs. Currently freeriding not freestyling yet. But would like the option for very near future. Fly inland so maybe a Manta would be out of the question.

I dont want an LEI.

i know the matrixx is popular, similar performance to the manta or so ive heard. Could be the way to go?

Has anyone flown the 12m access?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated???

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what in peoples opinion is the best 15m in sub 10mph. ive thought its probably not worth attempting to board in anything less than 9/10mph. Arcs are going to be more difficult to get off the ground and my preference would be a foil. so doesnt leave much. looks like a manta. question is, is it worth spending the money?

You can mess around with all kind of alternatives, but if its depower foils, then until you get a 15m Manta M3 or a 13m Frenzy FYX you won't have fun in those winds. Better to spend £600 on something that does what you want rather than £400 on something that doesn't. Trust me, I've been there!

the 15m manta does out perform the 13m frenzy in the lighter winds. i've heard from blokes who have tried 15m speed 3 dlx and 15m manta the teh speed 3 is better. but have no proof my self.

on a side shoot i've flown a 17 zephur that is similar in power to the 15 manta but its not as good in the real low end as its a tad heavy.

• 2 weeks later...
Or go for a big fixed bridle - 8.5m Blade of some description. Although if you're inland it might be unpleasantly gusty.

Another vote for this - I've got an 11.5 Frenzy plus some big 14 metre LEI's, but depowerables tend to be more complex and contain more weight of material than FB's so in light winds you tend to find them harder to keep in the air. On a light wind day our mate with his 8.5 Blade on handles always has a much better time.

19m speed3 DLX vs. bladeIII 10.5 (on 25m lines)

I fly them both regurlaly (do I type that good??), the blade 10.5 gets you going earlier, the 19 speed3 gets you in the air earlier. But thats in the 5/8 knots category on board, above 9 they are both good, above 13 I only use the speed, above 15 I get my 12speed. I'm 65kg.

Can't comment on the manta 15... But a 14.5 GIN Eskimo III starts riding not jumping just a tad later than the 19speed3.

thats my 2 cents in low-end :)

Blade III 10.5 is a wicked low wind kite - starts at about 6mph-only problem is it doesn't like turning , and that makes it hard work..... and i'd add that i had the Blade IV 8.5 , but sold it as i found the extra speed and quicker turn i could get from the Blade IV 6.5 made it better in a light wind , and more agile in every way

Edited by slide