the best light wind demo I have seen

kiteingcolin

your the same as me Wayne, WE dont need to gain brownie points, we flippin get out as long as its daylight, as long as work allows us, not if we have enough brownie points,

this light wind debate means nothing to us, you have one life, we get a great buzz from being out on the water, live the life, 6mph - 58 mph either end, as long as I am moving across the water, the faster the better, the higher the better, just as long as my board is planing, better than sitting around or earning brownie points,

Jog On.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly colin well said.....although the guy was on a huge board...and it was cross off...and it did seem to turn slow...

The last 10 sessions:

9 x on the Zephyr

1 time on the 11m.

I don't lawn mow - I can't, even if it means a long walk back up the beach to have another crack at the waves & jumping.

I would like to c this work in the real world! Can't see why anyone would want to just cruse up n down? Having said that the people who will chuck that sort of money at a kite cruse up n down in 25kts on a fully de powered 9m! ( with a nice board leash)

How about go on holiday to a wind blessed sunny place!

Money is no object for some people. They'll just buy it. The thought of going out in sub 10 knots doesn't interest me. Its more the thought of going out when its 12-13 knots and its would normally be very marginal conditions but you can still whip around and do tricks.

So why were you mowing the lawn in the shallows at oxwich last bank holiday?! ;)

becuase I was grossly under powered on a 9m!

16m is awaiting LE replacement bladder, which leads on to me commenting the one pump Vegas thread about only taking 20mins to remove a LE bladder from a non 1 pump kite...

all the pieces of the jigsaw are falling into place... :)

becuase I was grossly under powered on a 9m!

16m is awaiting LE replacement bladder, which leads on to me commenting the one pump Vegas thread about only taking 20mins to remove a LE bladder from a non 1 pump kite...

all the pieces of the jigsaw are falling into place... :)

I could get a 1 pump LE bladder out in well under 20 mins?

I have had x 2 one pump main bladders to take out, both 14mtr 2009 best nemi, flippin pain to do, and before hand the amount of time it took to find the flipping leak, took 2 glasses of whisky and a sip of paulines wine, was about to give in and throw it all in the bin, so in anger I blew up the bladder to over inflate pressure and a tiny tiny hole appeared where one of the strut valves connect, turned me right off one pumps,

• 1 month later...
this footage stunned me :eek:, its clear to see how light the "wind" is and he is flying once up, the new north Dyno may be the answer for some, I have one and will report back when tested

slick advert didnt show you the huge north race board the guy was floating on ,

that guy must be light as to stand floating on a directional board !

and dynos arnt cheap !

Thought I might add a 2p on this...

I've tried this style of kite and board before, and they do go this early - it's quite alarming when you struggle to even fly the kite at idle.. But, honestly - from an outside perspective, the kite may be the kit that you think allow this but it's not.. it's the board that is doing this way more than the kite.. I'd say probably 30% kite 70% board..

and if you put this 17m on your twin it will not work at all...

On the subject of race boards...

I looked at race kit and tried many race boards over the last 2 years. Without exception they all proved hidious to ride. Uncomfortable, non carving, like the kiting equivalent of sailing a laser... As an ex windsurfer I appreciate racing (I was national race champion 5-6 times) so you'd think I would be right into this but no.. Raceboards brought nothing but unhappiness to my life!

I was in Thailand a month or so ago with Airush and they gave me a new Monaro race board to try. It was also hideous. It took time to learn how to ride it in a straight line, and while I understand it wins races, as a board for the masses it's a very expensive torture chair.

Then they gave me a board to try called the sector - I'm sure many of you will know of it - and I had the same misgivings, but after a few runs I had to rethink a few things... The best way to understand where I think the future of light wind kit will be is to look at the following vid...

Fair enough this vid does not show how early they go - the guy is using the smaller of the two varients in 20kts with a very small 'one' kite, but the key thing to take from the vid is the carving and surf ability... Being a surf / oldschool oriented rider (directionals are my fav boards) the fact that you can ride these things on the rail, was a revolution for me... and they do carve. I would not go so far as to say that you can use them as a waveboard, but you can certainly do more than covering distance.

Other than this they really do have 90% the performance of the dedicated raceboard. I was given one with a 17m VXr race kite (airush) and it took real skill to keep the lei in the air, just getting into the waterstart position, but once the kite was thrown 2-3 times I was reaching for the depower! radical.. and the distance you can go upwind it quite alarming.

I now believe there is is a future in these lightwind things and although it's windy right now I will be happy to take on out for pure fun next time I get a windless weekend... A good 12 or 14m kite and you can have rewarding, comfortable fun in under 10kts..

The race kites.. hmm there's another subject... I would go as far as to say you get the best bang for your buck with a board first..

http://www.airush.com/2011/slides/slides_sector/Sector%20Banner%20v5.png

sector web resource

Edited by Mike Birt