grumpy old feckers got me banned

heres jonny

bring on 6 o clock when i can go stick 2 fingers up at the grumpy bastard that got me banned from my local ...

I've flown for 3 years with no problems, as have the local paraglider guys ... Only 2 of them anyway ...

Now thanks to someone being hit by a 2 line kite, and the locals residents who live in the flats adjacent to the field complaining, im no longer allowed to landboard there ...

Nothing i've done, but now every time i fly the stupid feck phones the council who came round and told me im not allowed to landboard anymore ...

Now the bit that doesn't make sense ... Im still allowed to fly my huge kites, and jump around, but apparently the byelaw states no landboard or wheeled device or something stupid ...

But again no issues over 3 years with my naturally wind powered device, causing no damage to anything or anyone ... But not allowed anymore ...

So someone was hurt by a kite, but im still allowed to fly them ... Confusing ... But now the council are informed regularly by the grumpy bastard with his shorts round his tits...

So my landboard which wasn't a problem for 3 years is now banned ... But my 16m kite is still allowed ... Even though a tiny one of someone elses hit someone ...

But, on the plus side the council park ranger who came and had a go did say he didn't want to spoil my fun, so he said after 6 everyones gone from the office so come down and roll around cos if anyone complains there's nothing we can do as we're all gone home ...

So come 6 o clock im going to fly and board around and make a stand :)

I wouldn't be bothered if i had another spot nearby, but my nearest useable spot is an hours drive away ... Camber sands ... If only it was closer :o especially since i don't drive yet ...

Anyone know of anywhere else that has had byelaws against wheeled objects removed so they can board and buggy? Or similar stories ...

This is my local spot and i love it to pieces and don't want to have to lose out ...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick question, are cyclists and prams still allowed to use the park?

Most wheeled bans are against powered vehicles, ie with an engine.

Try and get a copy of the actual by-laws (local library should have them) and see exactly how it is worded as to what it says.

same here ! got told of about 6 month ago that wind powered wheeled vehicle were banned at the beach I was buggying on since 1999. Same story than above I was on my own that day and a dog walker with his 3 huge dogs went out of there way and on the beach in front of me to stop me and told me that I wasn't welcome on here cause lots of people got hurt from kites in the beach. He phone the council and I had to go. I couldn't believe how stoburn and rude he was and I did place a complain to the council has one of his dog tried to bite me. Anyway now the nearest beach is 1 hour away. What bugs me the most is that dog , bicycle and horses are still allowed. What the fairness on that !!! I guess we are a too little community up here to have some power and we don't seem to know the right person.

A quick question, are cyclists and prams still allowed to use the park?

Most wheeled bans are against powered vehicles, ie with an engine.

Try and get a copy of the actual by-laws (local library should have them) and see exactly how it is worded as to what it says.

We all had a great common to fly on in Southsea ( Portsmouth) and the council decided in all their wisdom to ban buggys and boards, you can fly your traction kites all day if you so wish, in the summer they have a kite festival for 3 days and you can buggy and board until your heart is content, as soon as the weekend is over (August B holiday) you are not allowed to buggy or board , seems to me if they cannot make money out of it then it is not going to happen, even the local kite shop has closed which was situated next to the common, coincidence i think not.

why can't people just leave us alone to enjoy what we do? The stupidity of the powers that be mean that on one of our spots we can board but not buggy as the buggys tear up the grass!!!! wtf????

like pompey says if theres money involved then seems like said laws are waived!

i know of another local dispute where the council said we could fly but we had to put a temporary 10ft fence around the field and warning signs - bless 'em

i will be appealing and writing to the council and getting specifics on why im not allowed to board ...

Yes prams, cycles, and all the other crap are allowed... Actually according to the byelaw sign they're not ... But no-one phones the council and complains about them ...

Would the council prefer that i was out with mates getting hammered, beating people up and scaring old people hanging on street corners?

Didn't think so ... I don't see why a completely nature powered sport should be ruined by some jumped up twat in his flat getting a cob on ...

They're also trying to ban kitesurfing all along the bexhill and local coast ... Which is a load of bollocks to be honest ...

Its apparently harmful to the beach and sea and local environment ... I mean what the fudge are they on ...

Even windsurfing is apparently under threat ...

Best thing is they use pictures of kitesurfing and windsurfing on the promotional posters and website for the new development phases that they're fucking the promenade up with ...

Local council are off their heads ... Bunch of overpaid, useless, knowledgeless idiots ...

Yes this really gets my back up ... All this crap they're trying to do ... :o

Shit news Jonny, unfortunately alot of parks and green spaces covered by councils will have a blanket ban on powered vehicles, and this includes wind powered, which is ridiculous, but it is the inevitable arse covering due to the blame and claim culture and HEALTH AND SAFETY numpties. As for the grumpy old git, he probably thinks he's standing up for the community and doing his bit to save the world, *in Mr. Bean voice* it's against the law you know, it's in black and white in part c paragraph 254a of council regulations don't you know.

One of the paraglider twats came over to me last time I was there asking if we had public liability insurance, just in case we have an accident. He then told me about a couple of their accidents... One involved one of their guys getting entangled with a lamp post which required a fire engine rescue. Another one actually involved a member of the public who was hit. Funny thing is that we kite boarders/buggiers have a 100% clean record as far as I know...

Oh, and the part Jon mentioned about the kitesurfing ban on the beach... Apparently another of the reasons was due to noise! However, the jet skis are still allowed to play despite the fact we can hear them from our house - 20 minute's walk away from the beach :rolleyes:

On the health and safety point : I got told that because I didn't have any brakes I couldn't stop. When I ask them if they even seen a buggy and a power kite and if they had understood how it worked they said no and they were not interested at all. I told them that I would be more thatn happy to do a demo and show them how fast we can stop these things .........not interested and turned way.....nice attitude...

sounds crap. move to nz and enjoy no bans.....

you said wheels vehicles were not allowed? well screw their rules and turn up with an old snowboard and scrape your way around the feild wheeless.

you could also camp out and ring the council ranger everytime you see a pram/bike etc to show them how stupid there rule is? maybe if you get all the wheeled users pissed off and behind you claim then yourl have a better chance of enforcing it.

Shit news Jonny, unfortunately alot of parks and green spaces covered by councils will have a blanket ban on powered vehicles, and this includes wind powered, which is ridiculous, but it is the inevitable arse covering due to the blame and claim culture and HEALTH AND SAFETY numpties. As for the grumpy old git, he probably thinks he's standing up for the community and doing his bit to save the world, *in Mr. Bean voice* it's against the law you know, it's in black and white in part c paragraph 254a of council regulations don't you know.
I think that a powered vehicle is intended to mean one that is mechanically propelled, which buggies and boards are not.

sounds crap. move to nz and enjoy no bans.....

you said wheels vehicles were not allowed? well screw their rules and turn up with an old snowboard and scrape your way around the feild wheeless.

you could also camp out and ring the council ranger everytime you see a pram/bike etc to show them how stupid there rule is? maybe if you get all the wheeled users pissed off and behind you claim then yourl have a better chance of enforcing it.

haha now there's an idea!! just keep ringing them every time someone with wheels gets on the field. that way they'll eventually just stop answering the damn phone!!

Get in touch with the SEKA guys mate!

They are there for us to argue these stupid sorts of bans with the councils, contact MartinP via PM or phone if you have his number and get the ball rolling.

But apart from that, with a wink and a nod. Cant you do an arse out flyby as you go past his flat? bit like I did to will and chris on the way to the Ho!

Proper gutted for you though mate :(

Hi Jonny

Personally I would not antagonise the old guy in the flat, because all you will be doing is showing to the council how irresponsible you are.

I would suggest a dialogue with the council, show that we are a responsible bunch, unfortunately you have your youth against you and it seem that my generation and the one before believe if you are young you are a threat, why I don't know its very unfortunate. Also your complainant probably does it a lot, not just about you having fun in the park, he probably complains about the bells on the local church, the number of pub's in Bexhill etc. etc. The council are probably glad to show him they did something.

What you need is an advocate who will take up your case, maybe SEKA, then meet with the council, talk, the ban on wheeled vehicles is probably long standing, brought in to stop Chariot racing in the park, well maybe not but certainly cars. Try and get an exemption for kite buggies and boards, but be prepared to compromise.

Unfortunately you will find that councils are made up of the older generation, in general the aren't that interested in young people unless they are getting money or press coverage, find the councillor responsible for youth and the one for sport I am sure you will have them get them on your side and then push forward.

If all else fails you could consider standing for election, but I have to say council business is extremal boring.