Return to Sandy Point Dec 7-11

jhn.holgate

As me burfday is on the 9th, I thought I'd celebrate it by buggying on my favorite beach. The low tides are early evening and there's a full moon around then too, so if we've settled into a few sea-breezes by then it could be magic. At this stage, I'm thinking I'll stay at the Waratah Bay caravan park but if there's any other takers, they have cabins at reasonable rates. Prices here: http://www.waratahbaycaravanpark.com.au/prices.htm Standard cabins can sleep up to 6 and there's piccies on the site.

Alternatively, if there's a few of us, we may be able to get a house - we can sort something out if there's enough interest.

What say ye ?

Since I want to save some Holiday up for Christmass and New Year, I'll only opt for a weekend trip. The 10-11Dec2011 has the low tides very late 8:30pm, so for a weekend trip that means only one session. The following weekend the low tides are at mid day, so you get two sessions on the land in + water action, if I was going, that would be the weekend I would pick. Sorry I'll bow out for the 10-11Dec2011 weekend. Sure I could leave on the Friday afternoon after work, but I'll be to buggered out by the time I get there, not to mention then having to cook dinner afterwards.

Edit: some more head scratching.......

A day of water action, sounds good. Further teaching Zachary how to kite surf ... sounds good ..... Cook dinner and scoff it, then have an evening session on the land ...... hmmmmm sounds tempting. Then next another water session before heading home. Let's see what the rest of the family thinks.

These are the tide times & heights for Port Phillip heads....add 14min for Waratah Bay. Wed 7th - 3.30pm .44. Thurs 8th - 4.30pm .42. Fri 9th - 5.30pm .38 and Saturday 10th 6.20pm .33. Full moon on the Sunday evening, but tide will be in by the time it gets that dark. Sunset is around 8.30pm. Let's keep fingers crossed that the weather settles into some regular arvo sea breezes by then!

• 3 weeks later...

hmmmm....at this point, the wind direction is not favorable for the Wed/Thur/Fri. Maybe a change coming through Sat/Sun with some southerlies. Perhaps Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue....probably by Tuesday the tide will be getting out on dark. Just have to wait and see I guess. Want to fit one more trip down there before it all gets booked out at xmas....

A week late, but got a couple days down at sandy point, offshore winds, (at least it is wind) but in the right direction.

No idea how it will go but time to start work on my speed record now I have a gps.

25 k hr winds, will see what it can dish up. Can play on the spit if all else fails.

Edit.... It's now 40 k winds, and after a spectacular OBE I'm out of action, battered and bruised, mistimed the turn ( those small kites turn quicker than the big ones) landed poorly.

Oh well I know my limitations at least :o

Sightseeing for the rest of the weekend.