Turbulence snowkiting, Norway April '08

sonicseal

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone wants to buy a Nobile 164 they can buy mine! It was a reasonable board for snowkiting but I found it a bit cumbersome and the massive sidecut means it is useless when you want to put the kite in your backpack and freeride down the glacier. I'll be buying a normal twin tip for this years season in Iceland.

Any reasonable offers accepted...

Rob

Ball park figure???...condition of base??...any big P-Tex repairs???...Edges all good and ding free??....a couple of pics would be nice:D

If anyone wants to buy a Nobile 164 they can buy mine! It was a reasonable board for snowkiting but I found it a bit cumbersome and the massive sidecut means it is useless when you want to put the kite in your backpack and freeride down the glacier. I'll be buying a normal twin tip for this years season in Iceland.

Any reasonable offers accepted...

Rob

I'll get some pics later. Edges are all good and 100% ding free. No repairs, only used for a total of two weeks. It was perfect until a friend ran it through a muddy patch on the snow and there is a small discoloured area on the base that is slightly scratched too, but it could be rubbed back very easily and doesn't affect the board.

How does £120 sound?

Whos up for some speed trials when we get out there. GPSs at the ready.

Sure, we had a few GPS on the last trips, you just stick one in your pocket if you feel the need and should have even more for '08.

How about seperate speed trails for snowboards, skis and KiteSled ?

Easily clocked 24.5mph in 12mph winds on a snowboard on one go I remember.

They have told us there has been daily dumps of 250mm each day in the last week :cool:

Who's itching to go? :D

I could be wrong but:

Blizzards depend on the amount of surface powder or falling snow.

White-outs are more affected by the light conditions where it can be very difficult to see any gradient as it turns a strange flat dull light and less related to windspeeds.

We've been out in 45mph+ with no problem but on another day the risk of drifting due to the snow conditions is too dangerous. On average we have had 1 day blizzards and maybe 1 white-out day per holiday.

April's stats are 6 out of 7 days wind per week ranging from 15-40knts.

I can't remember where I found those stats back in 2006 but KiteWorld also quoted them in the destination booklet of their latest mag edition.

Ideally you want to cover your own low-medium-high windranges with a 2 or 3 kite quiver you are most comfortable with.

Tjah1087 - You'll be ok. Over 35mph is pretty powered and not everyone rushes out at the same time then, so you should be able to borrow one if needed. I wouldn't worry about going out and buying a high-wind kite specially.

A little 2.5m is good for howling days.