Yes or No to European Referendum

mick

For once, quite a serious thread from moi. Should we stay in the EU or not ? Not sure I understand all the conflicting reasons for staying or leaving. Politicians are such lying bstrds at the best of time. How will it affect Joe Public?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, all the bollocks from both the remain and leave camps is of no help at all. So I think you just have to go with your own instinct. Mine is to stay in because it has worked for the USA. Though I'm not sure I would want to go as far as the United States of Europe.

Well, all the bollocks from both the remain and leave camps is of no help at all. So I think you just have to go with your own instinct. Mine is to stay in because it has worked for the USA. Though I'm not sure I would want to go as far as the United States of Europe.

I don't think it is anything like the USA, they, the Americans, get to vote who is in control. Where as the EU is controlled by people who are not voted for.

When the UK originally voted to join, it was called the EEC (?) it is now a completely different monster from way back then.

It has many good rules & regs. But it has many not so good.

I'm on the fence

Smoo, what are the facts for staying and leaving. I'm lost.

That's the problem, no one really has any facts. As soon as the politicians state their case on the news I just hear blah blah blah blah blah...

Gyles Brandreth told a good tale on Have I Got News for You of when he was a MP and no one in government had a clue what was going to happen before, during or after the UK left the Euro exchange.

I don't think it is anything like the USA, they, the Americans, get to vote who is in control. Where as the EU is controlled by people who are not voted for.

When the UK originally voted to join, it was called the EEC (?) it is now a completely different monster from way back then.

It has many good rules & regs. But it has many not so good.

I'm on the fence

I see lots of similarities between the US and EU. Right now lots of US states disagree with their federal government about this transgender issue (a bit of a nonsense that the media loves because it makes good headlines). I'm sure if you asked an average american they would have the same complaints as we do about the government. But the net result is the USA is well, the USA.

You know what Zim, usually you talk a reet load of bollucks but this time, I think you're bang on the money.

They say there will a mass exodus of Europeans should we leave the EU. They say there will be a surplus of housing and our house prices will go down or be devalued.

What a bag of shite me thinks.

You know what Zim, usually you talk a reet load of bollucks but this time, I think you're bang on the money.

They say there will a mass exodus of Europeans should we leave the EU. They say there will be a surplus of housing and our house prices will go down or be devalued.

What a bag of shite me thinks.

The thing is, even if we do vote to leave, it won't necessarily mean that we will spared the TTIP trade treaty. The tories want this, they are the main driving force behind this in the EU, they'll carry on regardless. Fuck the NHS, eh?

Edited by zimmer
over-exuberant typing

• 4 weeks later...

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.

Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.

Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds.

Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.

British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.

Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.

Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.

M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.

Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants.

Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.

Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.

Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.

Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.

Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.

ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs

Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.

JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.

UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.

Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.

Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.

The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.

Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.

39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU

The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK. The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK, I used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.

I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.

I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.

Find something that's gone the other way, I've looked and I just can't. If you think the EU is a good idea,

1/ You haven't read the party manifesto of The European Peoples' Party.

2/ You haven't had to deal with EU petty bureaucracy tearing your business down.

3/ You don't think it matters.

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.

Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.

Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds.

Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.

British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.

Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.

Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.

M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.

Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants.

Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.

Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.

Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.

Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.

Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.

ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs

Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.

JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.

UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.

Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.

Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.

The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.

Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.

39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU

The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK. The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK, I used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.

I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.

I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.

Find something that's gone the other way, I've looked and I just can't. If you think the EU is a good idea,

1/ You haven't read the party manifesto of The European Peoples' Party.

2/ You haven't had to deal with EU petty bureaucracy tearing your business down.

3/ You don't think it matters.

Well I put an X on the leave box. Ive read so much biasedness. I made my final decision on a piece by money expert Martin Lewis. Very basically he stated that no one really knows what will happen if we leave or stay. So............. basing my decision on this I decided that no way would I want our mp's to become fat cat MEP's as they do so that's it.

@vibro. It doesnt matter how many times you post it, you're only getting one X but I guess I know where that's going/ :D

It's been interesting today watching the various social media platforms explode with rants and a number of petitions have been launched asking for various things such as another vote because some people didn't get their own way and also for London to become independent. Personally I'd love to see an independent London, I'm not sure how they see it working as they don't really produce anything there but services.

I saw this quote today

Nigel Farage admitted on Good Morning Britain it was a “mistake” for the Leave campaign to claim the £350 million reportedly given to the EU each week would go to the NHS.

I was sooooo looking forward to the NHS receiving a 350 million p/w or 18.2 billion increase, that's a 16% budget increase. Woohooo I thought ! no more waiting at the GP or hospital....... wait... whada you mean it won't go the the NHS ?!!

I know what you must be thinking . . . . 'What a politician misrepresenting the truth for there own gain?'

Also a bit of buyers remorse shown on a .parliament.uk website asking for another referendum... it takes 10k votes for a response, and 100k for it to be discussed in parliament.

Total so far is 185,792 and gaining 5 votes per second...

What were these people thinking, soz but..... Eastenders was on and it was sooo good I couldn't leave the house, ..... or OMG I put my cross the wrong box....?

Edited by Chaos

Rumour has it, they're trying for a best of three.

Seriousl tho, we're out. What dya think is going to happen next. Personally I believe the powers that be over there>> will give us a rough a run as possible to scare any other ship jumpers.

So who's next?

Rumour has it, they're trying for a best of three.

Seriousl tho, we're out. What dya think is going to happen next. Personally I believe the powers that be over there>> will give us a rough a run as possible to scare any other ship jumpers.

So who's next?