How do you read gusts Kitesurfing??

george meredith

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job we do travel down wind otherwise Lewis would have landed on the pier!

If and when you do jump huge, you will go down wind, this is when you have to really start being aware of what/who etc is way off downwind of where your boosting as it is amazing just how far you can travel.

[video=youtube;PEZiZ9G-gNs]

distance comes with out choice? no not really, my best session the other wk on my 11m ozone edge doin jumps and landing not more than 20ft from take off , if your going down wind a mile watch this video ,,

half way through the vid explains if your not doing it right " you will go down wind a tonne"

Bloody hell. He's using a scale model of Andy to demonstrate ffs.

Good job we do travel down wind otherwise Lewis would have landed on the pier!

If and when you do jump huge, you will go down wind, this is when you have to really start being aware of what/who etc is way off downwind of where your boosting as it is amazing just how far you can travel.

[video=youtube;PEZiZ9G-gNs]

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/06/y3u8ahyb.jpg

Mr Blasts link worked :D

Assuming 25m lines, and with directly above you being 0 degrees and sat on the water directly downwind being 90 degrees, horizontal distance between you and the kite is:

25 x sin(angle of lines)

Adapting this to account for the kite being left/right in the window works the same way, with 90 degrees being directly ahead and dropping to 0 degrees either side of the window.

Sorry.

assuming 25m lines, and with directly above you being 0 degrees and sat on the water directly downwind being 90 degrees, horizontal distance between you and the kite is:

25 x sin(angle of lines)

adapting this to account for the kite being left/right in the window works the same way, with 90 degrees being directly ahead and dropping to 0 degrees either side of the window.

Sorry.

wtf !!!!!!

On windy days >25 knots with patchy cloud and possible fronts, every few mins I look upwind to see what's coming. If I see something dark and menacing then I look to see if the water state is changing upwind of me. You can do a quick jump to look upwind to see if you can see those dark fingers on the water .

There are days when there is not a cloud in the sky and these can be worse as there is no warning... Been on a 15m foil when it went from 15 knots up to over 30... I left quite a track on the beach as I tried to come in.

Much like that Tone. A lovely day and I went into a carving toeside gybe. The wind went instantly from 20 to 40 mph and I went airbourne. I remember looking back at the water as I was going up thinking this is gonna hurt. I hit the water, checked the old bones and well chuffed nowt was broke. The kite was still flying and I was being dragged but nowt scary. Zero to hero in a blink. :D

I'll bet everyone here has a story.