Martial Arts

Harters1597507500

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wandering if anyone's into this kinda thing. Whichever discipline it is, how did you get into it? I'm going to start a Jiu Jitsu or MMA course but I'm in two minds about which one to go for...

Dan

I take my son to Jujutsu - Its a fantastic sport / martial art to learn, as it covers aspects of Judo, Karate and ground fighting. There is a large organisation locally here in Gloucestershire, which do both self defence and the sport (kumite). If you want contact details, let me know.

i am a Blue belt in Judo :D.. well was.. not done it for ummmmmm 18 years :p

Much the same here, got to brown in Judo (trans: "the gentle way") when I was 9 but then moved house and didn't much like the local club, it was a bit too geared towards aggression for my tastes. Dabbled (very) briefly at Uni including a last minute stand-in for the Scottish Uni finals (lost in 3s, lost in 30s, lost in 3 mins, damn near beat a third dan from Glasgow, then lost :rolleyes:)

Still used it on a regular basis working in pubs and clubs though, it's about as close to the legal definition of "reasonable force" as you get - no striking, just immobilising the opponent with locks and pins and the like, so you're probably less likely to injure somebody than you would if you weren't trained. Very useful indeed, and nobody gets hurt.

Ninjitsu, found a local Dojo near me, came to Ninjitsu after trying all the diciplins in the area and sticking with the one i like and with the best teacher, which Happened to be Andrew Thomas by far the best Teacher I have worked with except for Brian Mcarthy.

Yup, it's all about finding the right Teacher/Sensei, cheesy as it sounds.

i've tried judo (months), karate (months), kung fu (years), & jui jitsu (months) and want to try muay thai

i dont think it matters which you learn; you get the benefits of a workout, some disclipline and you should learn how easy it is to damage the human body, after which you'll be more wary of getting in fights :)

I'm not fussed about the whole being able to nail the human body in a fight type thing, I'm more fussed about the benefits it can have on fitness and as an art form. Which out of the ones you've tried did you prefer? I've dabble in judo but only when I was far younger.

Dan

i really got on with kung fu, tai chi and capoeira

(missed the second two of my list the first time)

but as has been said alot is down to the class structure; some will be run as self defense, some as training and some will be very competitive

turn up & try it out (dont just watch) and see if its what you want

Capoeira looks great but from what I've seen it's not overly combat based as it's roots lie in brazillian dance right?

Yeah I'm banking on going to a few taster sessions just to see what the deal is.

Capoeira looks great but from what I've seen it's not overly combat based as it's roots lie in brazillian dance right?

I'm not fussed about the whole being able to nail the human body in a fight type thing, I'm more fussed about the benefits it can have on fitness and as an art form. Which out of the ones you've tried did you prefer? I've dabble in judo but only when I was far younger.

Dan

Hmmmm:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ped:D

No, it's a martial art disguised as a form of dance.

I'm a blue belt in wadu ryu Karate, but we also practise Kick boxing. You can progress quite quickly to the middle grades but have to put in more effort to progress to the higher belts.

I achieved my Black Belt this year in GoKanRyu Karate. Sure, not full on contact, and lots of Kata, but for all round fitness, strength and flexibility, I've never been better. Started at age 35, taken 7 years, I even tought for a while. I only started 'cos my lad wanted to go. He all but quit and I kept going. Definately helps me with fitness for kiting :)

Tim

brazilian & african slaves that were manacled at the wrists, and forbidden to fight made it up; hence it looks like a non-threatening dance and can be performed as a game, but if you find the right teacher / class you will very quickly find out that it is indeed combat based