Hybrid style kites... where's it at?

SHEPPO3930

Hi all,

At the point where i'm starting to look at a move back to inflatables (those who don't know me, i fly Peter Lynn Venom's, etc), and reducing my quiver whilst i am at it, as 3 kites is too much in my opinion. I no longer kite on the land, therefor don't require a cross-over style kite, like the ARC's.

I've always liked the idea of the hybrid style kites, due to the way u can kill the power by letting go of the bar, the large wind range, ability to "park" the kite when wave surfing, etc. I don't want to start a C-Kite v's Hybrid debate, 'cause i dont really care. I've got my sights set on a hybrid style kite.

I don't fancy more than 4 lines (plus the LE bridle obviously), and a simple, functional, bar set up is more what i'm after rather than gimmicky safety releases, etc, etc.

So, for free riding, cruising around, small jumps, and (in the future) some wave riding, what kites would be recommended? I like the look of the Ion4 (Flexifoil), and the Cult (or was it Cult Sport?). Any other brands I should look at?

Ideally i want a single kite quiver. I'm 95kg and run a Force Industries RX-135 board, usually out on Port Phillip Bay (15-25knots) in the chop with the occasional session at Rye in the flat water. Size recommendations?

Thanks for reading

Dave. :drinks:

Hey Dave ..... long time no see !!

Which kite ... lol ... always a good topic :good: always tends to bring on the battle of the opinion.

I am not a fan of the Ion, though the last one I flew was an 08 so things have probably changed a lot since then, I just forund it terribly slow and underpowered for its size (compared to about 5 different brands of the same year) The Cults have a good reputation, I have not personally flow one but a few of my pals have one and have had no problems. Excellent de-power, easy re-launch, well made, quality bar and QR, gust eaters blah blah blah ....

EH are another good brand .... http://www.cabareteairforce.com

Then you could keep it even more local and go Griffin ..... http://www.monkeykites.com/

Do you have the ability to grab demos ? If you do then this is by far going to be the best way for you to decide what you like. There are SO many good kites of similar performance out now that I reckon your best bet is just deciding where you wanna spend your money.

Welcome back by the way :hatsoff:

Marty

Marty,

Yeah, kiting has been on the back burner for the past 12 months, looking forward to getting back into it.

Demo's would be ideal, but if they all perform to a similar level, and cost around the same, it's going to be what i like the look of, or the features (like single point inflation, how the bar/lines work, etc).

From further investigation, the Cabrinha Convert IDS looks nice too! I've got a soft spot for Cabrinha's, and the Convert is marketed as a free-ride/all-rounder kite. Sounds pretty ideal to me. Will pop up to SHQ tomorrow and have a looksee at one in the flesh.

The EH Beast 11m- from what i can tell is the kite i am looking for (from their range)? I've no experience with the brand, so not too sure on how they hold up, build quality, etc. The Beast looks a little flatter (more bow like) compared to other hybrids, would this be fair to say?

Cheers.

The beast .... or most of the EH range generally, are very flat kites. The ripper especially ... it has an awesome looking profile.

In my opinion, the build quality of the kites is excellent .... they speak for themselves. Very well made, padded, re-enforced and made simple.

I don't think a lot of the bars myself .. the QR is ordinary and the throw is on the short side. Good quality kite lines ... crap bungee.

I had a fly of the 2010 9m Ovando yesterday and it was quite a treat. I spent about 3/4 of an hour with it in the buggy and than another 3/4 of an hour with it in the water. I want to get a few more hours up to really 'know' the kite and comment properly but my first impressions are .... different ..... fast .... amazingly responsive .... well made .... not a good beginner kite. And to go from a good buggy session straight to a kitesurf session same day same wind .... she's a good allrounder.

Funds/needs permitting .... I would buy another EH kite.

Marty