Wi Fi Help Please

FUJILA

How do you connect to the internet, do you have a ADSL router with a combined 4 port hub\switch?? if so get a wireless access point, plug it into one of the ports on the router. If you have a router with only one port which feeds your PC then buy a small 4 port switch plug the router, PC and wifi access point into the switch.

Tim

Wi fi - If its the same as any other wireless network all you need is a wireless network card for your PC. Im sure Wi Fii means wireless network. You may consider upgradeing your modem to a wireless rooter if your on broadband. That way you can use the net (if supported by your hand held) as well without rooting through your PC or connecting to a phone line. http://www.aria.co.uk do wireless network cards, internal and USB (I think). Again I don't know what the difference between Wi Fi and normal wireless networks are as I have only gone to wireless myself.

Will not be getting broadband till the end of this month!!

but was only thinking of using the handheld and p.c together using the wifi instead of plugging them together through the usb??

i.e

would like to be able to stream my mp3/mpg's/jpg's of my p.c to my handheld

please bear in mind that i am a chef and not a techno head!!!

the broadband we are looking at is with bt and they will only allow 1 p.c on it

basic package would i need to get a bigger package to allow my p.c and pda to share a connection??

thanks for the help so far

ROB:D

From your comment s I take BT are going to supply the modem\router to connect your PC to the ADSL, if you wanted to connect more than one PC then they would supply a different modem\router and charge you more the priviledge.

You should get a wires only deal from BT (that means they change your line to accept ADSL, give you account details but leave it up to you to supply the equipment to connect your PC to the adsl) You would need something like the link below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002A45AO/ref=pd_sr_ec_ir_ce/202-9955281-5989456

You would need to check that your PC has a Network socket (if its is under two years old it probably has). Your new protable would then be able to connect to your PC and the internet via wireless (wi-fi)

Tim

or cheapest option.....

get a 802.11g USB dongle for about £15 and use that to network the pc and the handheld, set up as an ad-hoc network. Easy to do, just use the wireless network wizard in windows sp2. Then when you get BB, get the free ADSL modem that should come with the package and set up your desktop for internet connection sharing. This means that you only have one pc connected to the net as per your contract, but the pda will connect through your desktop. If you're gonna go down this route I would strongly recommend getting a book called 'networking for dummies' or getting someone to set it up for you. It can be hideously complicate dif things don't work first time and as you don't have much nouse on the subject it may save you alot of trauma and will probably only cost you £30 notes or so (well that's what i'd charge you!)

From your comment s I take BT are going to supply the modem\router to connect your PC to the ADSL, if you wanted to connect more than one PC then they would supply a different modem\router and charge you more the priviledge.

You should get a wires only deal from BT (that means they change your line to accept ADSL, give you account details but leave it up to you to supply the equipment to connect your PC to the adsl) You would need something like the link below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002A45AO/ref=pd_sr_ec_ir_ce/202-9955281-5989456

You would need to check that your PC has a Network socket (if its is under two years old it probably has). Your new protable would then be able to connect to your PC and the internet via wireless (wi-fi)

Tim

What Tim said....

I use:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=9751231675&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=64619

£50 and does the job nicely. It looks like a single PC as far as BT are concerned and will set up a mini home network the other side of the ADSL connection.

I think the limit on the BT package is because they will supply a USB modem, rather than a modem/router like Tim and I are suggesting.

Even with that, it is possible to share your internet connection through the computer connected to the modem - it's fairly easy to setup if you have XP... I think, although I'm not sure, a wireless USB dongle would be classed as a network device to XP so you should be able to share your connection through that...

BT, You can have any number of connections thru WiFi they can even supply a wireless router. I set up wireless networks everyday and BT are one of the major isp,s I set up with. It does'nt matter how many pc's you link to accewpt a internet connection as its the router that becomes the user not the pc's.

The pains in the rear are telewest that use Mac address assigning for their connections thru set top boxes(tv/internet). their adsl modems are fine tho same principle the modem becomes the user.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=77141

this is what i use for my broad band and it should work with the pda aswell. but after a couple of months the wireless part of the roughter stopped working at all i think it is because a connection has come loose inside near the arial but now i use a network cable.