Blade 8.5 Or Bego 600

Chomfoil

No disrespest chom but you havent flown a blade have u? I know its hard to believe but the blade 4.9 has got tons more lift than a 5.5 firebee u could ask any1 thats flown both kite and you get the same answer every time.

COME ON SOME 1 BAC ME UP ON THIS!!!

You're 100% right. I flew a 4m Firebee against my BII 2.0m last autumn, and although the Firebee pulled harder, the Blade kicked it into touch when it came to lift. I didn't have my 4.9m there to compare, but I'd have expected it to completely blow the Firebee away as far as lift is concerned. Totally different kites altogether.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No disrespest chom but you havent flown a blade have u?

Adam:D

I have flown the 4.9 but not back to back with the 5.5 and I cant say I remember any significant difference in power. The problem with the bee is that it requires more skill than the blade does to get the best out of it. The bee really needs to be powered up to jump with it.

Tom:cool:

I have flown the 4.9 but not back to back with the 5.5 and I cant say I remember any significant difference in power. The problem with the bee is that it requires more skill than the blade does to get the best out of it. The bee really needs to be powered up to jump with it.

Tom:cool:

Yeah I agree with u there mate. but as youv flown a 4.9 u must know that there no comparison between the 2. I was thinkin the same bout my 5.5 buster I had it and it didn't produce as much lift as I wanted and I was thinkin along the same lines as u I need a bigger kite and Im goin to go for a blade because there suposed to be good for jumpin, and I was going to go for something like the 6.6 or the 8.5 but after askin a few experienced blade flyers for there opions I went for the 4.9 blade and I havent flown my 5.5 buster since(Im actually tryin to flog it) I realy wasnt disapointed. plus the 4.9 is loads faster than the bigger 1's so I find is loads more fun and a lot easier to jump with (thats in comparison to the 7.8 II blade anyway)

Adam

i have a 6.6 and it gives me plenty of lift in the right wind. My friend used to use a 2.0m + 3.0m blade 2 and he could get 15 foot + jumps on it. so i dont think its what size of blade u get its the wind conditions you use it in. but between the bego and the 8.5 i would choose the 8.5 because i just prefer the way it fly... (and i think it has more lift)

... the 4.9 is loads faster ... so I find is ... a lot easier to jump with (thats in comparison to the 7.8 II blade anyway)

Higher winds will sort that out :D :D

Also, get a crossover on that 7.8 - it'll turn as fast as the 4.9.

Higher winds will sort that out :D :D

Also, get a crossover on that 7.8 - it'll turn as fast as the 4.9.

Ahh cheers mate I new u said it was slow but wen I first flew it in (5mph) it was realy slow. I prefer to fly on handles rather than a bar to be honest. If chom don't mind me hijackin his tread could I ask a question dmb Iv had a good few hours flyin in the realy light wind so I want to take it a stage further but I don't wont to end up hurtin myself because Iv seen wat power its got even it a realy light wind, So wat would u say the very maximum that its safe to fly it in bearin in mind Iv got no worries flying the 4.9 in about 20mph and a bit over.

Cheers, Adam

LANDIRE

You got some point here But take in mind that this 13 years boy can kite better then anyone here and just searching machine for low wind days so why not to go for it:confused:

Because he'll bloody kill himself!

NO 13 year old boy is going to be able to manage a kite like an 8.5 B3 as soon as the wind starts getting "frisky" - and to suggest otherwise is somewhere between naive, ignorant and just bloody daft.

Are you seriously suggesting that this little lad can outfly the guys on there who are trying to keep him from hospitalising himself?

Oh, and Landire, I used to own a 6.5 'Bee and a 4.9 Blade II - and the 'Bee consistently outperformed the Blade for jumping, at least in sensible winds (ie winds that won't smash a 13 year old into a greasy smudge).

If your talking about blade 4.9s then you should also consider the bego 400, i flew my bego 400 back to back with a blade 4.9 yesterday and so did a couple of others including the blade owner and they all said that the bego had more pull and lift, plus it didnt overfly as much. im 16 and i can get air with a 400 in 8mph so you might want to try one??? just my opinion...

Because he'll bloody kill himself!

NO 13 year old boy is going to be able to manage a kite like an 8.5 B3 as soon as the wind starts getting "frisky" - and to suggest otherwise is somewhere between naive, ignorant and just bloody daft.

Are you seriously suggesting that this little lad can outfly the guys on there who are trying to keep him from hospitalising himself?

Yeah I agree with there totally mate thats wat Iv been tryin to say.

Oh, and Landire, I used to own a 6.5 'Bee and a 4.9 Blade II - and the 'Bee consistently outperformed the Blade for jumping, at least in sensible winds (ie winds that won't smash a 13 year old into a greasy smudge).

I can understand that the bee would pull more just because its bigger but out performing it wen it comes to jumpin I find hard to believe( I bet it didn't bring you down half as floaty as the blade does) but I supose there a chance seeing your on about the 6.5. We where actualy comparing the 5.5 bee to the 4.9 blade III.

hi, haven't read from the start of the thread but i used to own a blade 3 8.5 and i was a little disappointed with it. for boarding it will be good but for recreatonal flying i found it too big and slow. need a big bar, i had a 75cm and i thought it needed extra. haven't flown the bego but sounds pretty good and it turns quick which is always a good thing imo.

He's heard the reviews, he's heard about the injuries, and he's heard that a Blade 8.5 is bloody powerful :eek: . If he has his heart set on a Blade of that size, so be it.

It looks like Chom's already made up his mind, and apparently theres really nothing we can do to stop him from buying a kite of this size. I hope that his parents will stop him, and I assume they would. His dad seems like a reasonable person who, rightfully so, is concerned for Chom's safety.

To Chom's defense, I know how it is when you get your big eyes on something big and expensive :D . I know the feeling of having something nice in your reach, only I've always been able to talk myself out of a silly purchase.

Just my oppinion.:)

B

Getting tired of this thread now, it's seemingly pointless and the kid doesnt want advice, just someone to tell him to buy the kite.

At 13, skill just doesnt really come into it, the 8.5 will just be too big and too powerful to hold onto. if you stick Naseem Hamed in the ring with a low ranking heavyweight Hamed will not knock him out but get knocked out. Skill isnt the issue, just the power/weight ratio between kite and flyer.

It is a bit of a catch 22, he really needs to have a hold of a big kite to prove to himself the strength requiered to hold and turn it, but then who is going to let a 13 year old have a go on their 8.5m kite??

Matt

Getting tired of this thread now, it's seemingly pointless and the kid doesnt want advice, just someone to tell him to buy the kite.

Don't post on the thread then!! I don't want to read patronising posts any more than you want to post on a pointless thread!

I do want advice but I don't want to be patronised (Hi KK:rolleyes: ).

Thanks for all your comments, most of which say that I should be "cautious" if going for an 8.5. Oh and landire i think I know your opinion now. Don't feel you have to post it another half dozen times. You've put on a stone between post 13 and post 34, thats less than a week. I hope it's not the worry that I might get an 8.5 that's causing it.

I'm considering a 6.6 now. Some of you are saying that an 8.5 or 6.6 isn't suitable but I would be very carefull with it I am not irresponsible with these sort of things.

Tom:cool: (gotta go, bed time for kiddywinks:o)

Chomfoil: It has been interesting reading these posts and hopefully very useful for you in terms of advice. I just wanted to add that with running a kite club in a school I have a fair few people of your age that fly both small kites and kites the size of the bego and Blade. As you state it is about comon sense and not taking a kite out in wind that is too strong, even a 2m kite can cause a lot of damage in the hands of a fool in very strong winds. When the winds are light the Mac Bego600 is a kite that is flown by a number of students and has never proved to be a danger. Training and skill are the most important element, knowing when to fly and when to let go of the bar and let the safety do its thing. Inflated Ego's usually cause the most kiting related problems, not the kites. We also use Firebee's, which have proved to be real fun workhorses over the years and not to be underestimated. The Blade 6.6m you mention is a good match for the Bego 600, they are about equal on power with the Bego having the low wind edge but the Blade scoring in both wider wind range and far superior build quality. The best thing to do would be to try and get out and see if you could get to fly any of the kites you have mentioned under an experienced flyers supervision. The insite you will gain flying these kites and talking to someone that actually flys them will be invaluable. Sorry if this post makes me sound to much like a teacher!!!!!!!1

Oh and landire i think I know your opinion now. Don't feel you have to post it another half dozen times. You've put on a stone between post 13 and post 34, thats less than a week. I hope it's not the worry that I might get an 8.5 that's causing it.

Chom first of all this si the last time Im goin to post because your oviusly not interested. but Im not here to patronize u because your younger and I don't want to make you feel like a liitle kid(after all Im only 16 and I know wat it feels like) Its just wen some1 has said stay away from this kite You seem to have an answer for it(which to be honest is just a way of convinsin your self to get 1).

Im very sorry that weve made u feel like a child and it wasn't intended.

Im glad to hear that urr thinking of the 6.6 even though I personaly think youd be better off with the 4.9 but anyways.

Av fun, and wen u finaly get a blade you will realise wat all the fuss was about.

well if he has his heart set on it he is going to get it anyway .

however there is an enourmous difference in power between a 5.5 firebee and a6.6 blade let alone an 8.5

i would say the 8.5 is twice as powerful easy , and if you are 13 , unless you are grossly overweight you will have a windrange of 2mph to 8mph max !

(one gust and you will be doing wheelchair buggying for the rest of your life)

each to his own , if he wants to pose with an 8.5 fine , but thats about all youll be able to do with it m8!:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
The Blade 6.6m you mention is a good match for the Bego 600, they are about equal on power with the Bego having the low wind edge but the Blade scoring in both wider wind range and far superior build quality.

Totally disagree that the Blade has far superior build quality over the Bego - there is nothing to choose between them as far as build goes - both well built and will last a lifetime if treated well.

The Blade 6.6m you mention is a good match for the Bego 600, they are about equal on power with the Bego having the low wind edge but the Blade scoring in both wider wind range and far superior build quality. The best thing to do would be to try and get out and see if you could get to fly any of the kites you have mentioned under an experienced flyers supervision. The insite you will gain flying these kites and talking to someone that actually flys them will be invaluable. Sorry if this post makes me sound to much like a teacher!!!!!!!1

Good advice on the trying kites out front, however I have a bego 600 and two blades and I would say the build quality is comparable,

On the wind range issue, are you aware that you can shorten the line between the two powerlines on the Bego, increasing the arc and with it the upper wind limit.

• 2 months later...
hi,i bet the 8.5 blade is better than the bego 600.why,just look at the size diffrence:D 8.5m verses the 6m bego it says it all.its just like saying which kite has more grunt and lift,is it a 1.5m traction kite or a 3.5 traction kite i know what one i would say:D :D also look at the price diffrence.i have nothing against blades they are awsome kites but lets look at this fairly.in low winds lets put the bego 6oo against another 6m wind kite and see what you come up with :rolleyes: ;) but to be safe i wouldnt let my son who is 13 years old on a 8.5m blade:(
Er, not really - the Bego 600 spanks the 6.6 BIII into oblivion and it's smaller. Same goes for the Bego 400 vs the BIII 4.9 - almost a metre difference!

Agree with your last statement though - no chance I'd recommend either the Bego 600 or the 8.5 to a young lad....hmmm, possibly the 600 as you already have a big blade but be very very careful with it!

Just seen this thread..hmmmmm!

My 13 yo 6.5 stone son has flown 10/8.5 and 6.6 blades.. we HAVE a 6.6 blade.

IMO the 8.5/10.5 would be a bit much in MOST winds but the 6.6 is quite stable and safe PROVIDING you are sensible about the conditions you launch in and you are happy to let the kite killers do their thing as soon as trouble hits!

I would NOT be buying a Bego for many reasons that I wont go into here.

The 6.6 will provide enough for you and your Dad, get a test flight and be pleased:D