Any brave ones???

NJblade_flyer

Right nwo it's about 20 mph sustained winds gusting up into the low 30's. I have a blade II 4.9 and have flown in conditions close to this before but I ended up with a concussion and a visit to the CAT scan machine. I was just wondering if anyone ever goes out in these kinds of conditions.

and I'm not talking abotu the people who are like, "yea, it MUST have been like almost 30 mph winds today." when it was really only like 15. I want someone who's used a wind meter or else checked the weather report before they left for their session and what size kite they used and what kind of air was being achieved???

me and a mate went out today its 15_35mph of wind and took up a pl arc 1120. im not trying to sound macho, it was his 3rd time out and there was osme decent wind (we underestimated the power ) he lauchned kite and was fully depowered and being dragged down the field,there is a gravel road between the fields we fly in and he was picked up not that high but slammed into puudle on the road side i ran up to him and told him to let go as the kite was leashed, he let go and the new bar he had bought for it had the leash wrongly set up on it it jammed and the power of this kite was put on 2 this little clip that holds the leash on, natuarally the clip snapped and his kite went bouncing of down the field towards powerlines i had to leg it after and catch it . poor guy luckily he only got away with a few grazesbut it could haves been a lot worse.

twice i have taken my frenzy 7.3 out in about 20-35mph winds, sorry dont have a wind metre.

first time was shortly after i got it, fully depowered and was getting 12-15ft air ish according to my froends who were with me. next time was a couple of weeks ago at the beach when the wind was quite gusty and for some reason wasnt giving much lift so i was only getting about 10ft with full power on, after this session i found out that my kite was broken:( ( big rip on the inside)

I have snowkited and buggied in that type of wind(I have a SKYWATCH 3D wind meter) with the 4.9. It is alot of wind. I have never or would ever even consider flying/jumping a 4.9 static in winds that high. At 20+ mph the 4.9 is manageable but all you have to do is make a mistake or get caught off guard and you can be screwed. 30+mph gusts with a 4.9 and no way to run off/out the energy...sounds like a double helping of pain to me!

in hindsight, i was a bit daft to put my 2m blade up in 25mph coz it was gusting to 35mph... that hurt that did... and it ain't a big kite!

won't do something like that again in a hurry ;)

i didn't think it was that windy either... i though it was about 20mph... and not too gusty... guess i didn't hang around long enough to assess the real wind...

I've flown my 4.9 in about 17 to 20mph I would say, and it was only on 15 metre lines. All I could do was just hold it at the edge of the window. Straight above and it was nearly static lifting me, straight to the side and I was skudding at about 90 degrees to the wind direction. It was insane. One steady flight from the edge of the window, slightly into the powerzone then straight above and I was up 5 or 6 feet without even thinking about it, so I did my best to land it and pack it away.

Flew my 5.0 Viper in (I reckon) 30mph+ winds. Some guy was scudding massively with a Super 10, which suddenly popped a spar and span to the ground, so I thought, "What am I DOING, getting my 5.0 out???!". (I'm not normally that brave!) The brake lines had been quite slack, but with the amount of pull and stretch on the main lines the brakes were quite tight, making the Viper pull more. Again, I just had to hold it at the edge of the window. Then it luffed, drited into the powerzone, re-inflated, and I was Superman-ing in no time at all. OUCH, that rock on my knee was hard!!!!

Basically, my rule of thumb is if the kite is staked out and it's bouncing madly on the ground, desparate to get away, then it's too windy!!

I don't mind flying a bigger kite in high winds so long as I have time to warm up, to get used to the power. As you said, you cann't really fly as you would normally, just moonwalk everywhere because the kite is picking you up without effort :)

depends what you want to do with it ??

I fly my blade 4.9 in about this wind but mostly for buggying although if you put it above you too fast your out of the buggy ;)

it is good to learn how to jump but don't let the kite overfly or it will luff dump you on the floor , fall to earth and 'fill' in the max power zone ........and your off face down scudding LOL

take care out there start small work up you soon find what your limit is ;)

I've kited in 20 - 30mph by my dad's anemometer on top of his house, though I was only using a 2m Blade II, still it was my first flight and I was being careful no to move it too fast above my head. Got up some serious speed in the buggy though, no speedo fitted yet though so you'll just have to take my word for it.

I have the speedo, its just that fitting it is a little down the job list currently;)

i have had my 6.4 out in 17 gusting to 25mph.

i dont think i would do it again...i hadnt been windy for a while so was desperate to get flying..

to cut a long story short... that is what i did..

i dont think i would board with this much wind.... i would be scared of the jumps...

tony