Which Buggy

graham1963

Thinking about getting one, what would people recommend?

I have had a look and not seen a similar thread recently.

for background I and 5'11'' 12.5 stone and will be running on grass and sometimes sand

Using Blades to fly with.

Not looking to kill myself or break the 50mph barrier.

Price is important but I could be persuaded

gotta be the libra... or maybe the flexi :confused:

i'm the same height as u & felt very cramped in my pl comp so eventually chopped it in for a special. very comfy & solid buggy but does scruff up easily due to the powder coating

the flexi may be better if u want to do tricks & stuff. the libra is much heavier making it difficult to get up onto 2 wheels but it does make it more stable at speed

i have a pl comp and it does me fine but i am 13 and so i am smaller but it is not very cunferterbol and onec the front bolt come off but that was because i was on bumpy sand but it is very good for doing trick because it is light so al2gether really it is a very good buggy and i like mine a lot it was the my first buggy

thanks rich

Depends what u wanna do!!

I am 6' 2" and i have a pl comp!! Bit cramped but i love it for tricking in!! It really light and short, a dream for kicking it up on 2 wheels.

However ive also tried a VMax and a Full Race.

Both excellent buggies. The full race especially if you can afford it!! I had great fun in a full race with big foots, and swan neck down tube. Probably made so good by the 6m predator mk3 i was flying at the time!

The only buggy that i have any doubts about is the flexi. But i know loads of people who love em, so i guess as i said originally it depends what you want it for!

Hope this helps

I have a Pl comp 2002 , nicely put together and all the welds are nice , fits in the boot of my car ( with my split rearseat down ) just bye taking the axle off the back ( 2 clips -30 sec job)and I have a polo sized car I am abotu 5,11 and 13.5 stone .

It does get a bit uncomfortable after 2.5 hours constant bugging over rough ground but apart from that it is great ,

I am currently uprating the back and seat area with powermax stuff ( wider axle deeper seat rear suspension ) you might want to consider Marcus ('Darkwater) and tonys stuff at http://www.stratus-design.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/square-metre/PowerMax.htm

cheer

Martin

I am currently uprating the back and seat area with powermax stuff ( wider axle deeper seat rear suspension )
i fell into the same trap

about a year ago i bought my 1st buggy, the pl comp original, which set me back about £225

shortly afterwards, i bought the long downtube for £45 because i found it cramped my style

having been tipped out a number of times i then decided to buy the wide axle for £80

so, £350 later (almost the cost of a v-max!), i still had a buggy that was uncomfortable to sit in and rattled at speed

i was tempted to get a powerspring to make it more comfortable but decided to cut my losses so sold it for £250 & bought a libra instead

had i taken advice off ppl on the forum 1st, i would probably saved myself a great deal of money & a lot of back ache :)

• 2 years later...

My first buggy was a Flexi, and it was great, but it entirely depends on what you want to do with it. It's possible the most sturdy, also the easiest to freestyle with, but having bought the wide axle for a bit of stability, it's no racing machine. Very uncomfortable for out and out speed and blatting.

With that in mind, if you just want comfort, go for the Libre V-Max, as it is very comfortable and upgradable.

Or hold out and save for a Cameleon :D:D:D

My choice:

1) Libre

2) Flexi

3) Anything except a PL

Keep in mind that PL does not provide any noticeable after sales support either.

The ones we get here are cheap & nasty but probably OK for people getting into kiting & are strapped for cash.

Sand-Yeti

wouldn't touch another peter lynn with a very long barge pole - mine broke so many times i might as well have mad a new buggy with all the welding and replacing of parts!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Flexifoils are rock solid as are libre specials but the libres weigh more than the flexifoils. If you're thinking of freestyling - flexifoil. If beach cruising - libre.:rolleyes:

Myself? I'm waiting for my Parastorm Typhoon Mk2 to arrive to replace my crappy peter lynn. Furry dice also on order...:D

Stu

wouldn't touch another peter lynn with a very long barge pole - mine broke so many times i might as well have made a new buggy with all the welding and replacing of parts!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Myself? I'm waiting for my Parastorm Typhoon Mk2 to arrive to replace my crappy peter lynn. Furry dice also on order...:D

Stu

Deepest sympathies. Been there, suffered PL as well.

Attached pic is my PL comp today. I could have bought 3 PL's for what I have invested in fixing it up. Recent additional home made fabrication is the backrest, which doubles up as rigid tie bar between the two side rails. There is very little twisting on the buggy with this addition. i.e. when blatting along with good pull on buggy, the front wheel is more or less standing straight up instead of leaning over at a horrible angle.

Sand-Yeti

PLwithBacks.jpg

I am now temped by a v-max, only £60 odd quid dearer than the Special and you get a wider axle straight away.

How easy are they to dismantle for the car? I read the special is pretty easy

Anyone else had these decisions?

Go for the Libre V Max - four bolts to take off the back axle - you can fit wing nuts to make this faster. This is a buggy designed for comfort and hard wear - I've had one for 2 years sea and sand no problems with corrosion. The Special is a lighter build machine and with only slightly less comfort than the V Max.