Overflying kite ...

Hot Wheels

... so I've got myself a Peter Lynn 8.5m Voltage, and it's an awesome kite, been having a good bit of fun with it, however I'm finding that it really likes to try and overfly the window, a lot lot more than my blade or anything else I own or have flown.

Besides adding knots to brake lines etc, I've not got much experience in tuning kites so wondered if there is anything I can do to stop or reduce this (I suspect probably not though, and that it is just a characteristic of a high lift kite.

So any suggestions anyone?

Hey Hotwheels, besides knots in brakes, you'll either have to keep it moving or turn it away from the edge sooner. It may be the wind where you fly, it may be fine at the beach, it may even improve with a bit of use as the bridles stretch a bit making kite sit back a little.

Did a search on the Voltage and the brake line tension does seem key on this kite, usually the brake line leaders on the kite end have knots in them for brake line adjustment if not then I'd start by adding one on for adjustment, or add a knot at the handle/bar end, you'll know if you have added too much as it will back-stall. A double stopper knot will probably shorten a leader line by about 2-3cm so just one knot will start making a difference.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the replies everyone, sorry for taking so long to answer, been having too much fun out on my kites the last few months

Still I've barely got to fly this big beasty as I still can't work it out.

It's been a while since it came out the bag as its been pretty windy the last couple of months but might get a run out today.

I'm sure I remember using up the leader adjustment that I had at both ends and the brake lines still barely work (too long).

I've got some leader line from UFO in Weston to make up some pigtail extensions for the power lines.

Might also try it on a set of 20m lines as it can be a bit of a handful when you weigh around 72-73kg lol

Finally had a few days out with the 8.5m now and it's working sweet, just needed a tiny bit more off the brake lines and realised I hadn't used all the adjustment at the handle end like I thought I had (goes to show how long its been since it was last out the bag).

All I can say is I'm no longer thinking of selling the beast =)