To leash or not to leash, that is the question

broraboyan

I have used a leash from the start of my kite surfing hobbie and not once have I had it come back and hit me, I have never lost my board once, I've had a few epic situations on a loch where I know for a fact I would have lost my board if I didn't have a leash(trying to concentrate on a relaunch) . I use an oceanus recoil type.

what are the pros on having one.... You don't ever loose your board, no body dragging(I'm a lazy bastard...... I like)

Cons, after using it for 3 years is attaching it when your self launching, not a problem if you have a kite buddy, you get alot of slagging of for having one but they haven't used the new type since 2003.

So where does this end, we'll it doesn't really as when my oceanus gives up the ghost, I'll be buying a brand new one and not a new board.... SIMPLES :D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, someone is going to post that picture of a can of worms. Ive used a leash for 3 yrs and the only time Ive been hit was when I didn't have the leash. A wave hit me. On shore wind and the board caught the wave and clouted me. Everybody bleats on about using a leash but no ones actually seen anyone hit. At Hunny, a board will travel with the incoming or outgoing tide even against the wind at speeds up to 5 mph.

If you sail offshore, in deep water, on your own, by yourself then I most certainly would.

And for a noob learning. My goodness, does it save the struggle of worrying about your board.

Maybe, this should have been posted in KITESURFING for maximum effect. Expect the word TROLL to be also deployed.

Have been pondering this for a while, was out the other day with The Geoff, now that i am up and running, managed to get into deep water, dropped the kite and had to body drag to shore,the board was away. Hand signals to The Geoff and we were re united. Bottom line is one just ordered from e bay. Happy days.

JUST DONT TELL HIM

I'm off to Cuba again in 3 weeks. There'll be no one to rescue me, land or launch me or recover my board. Imagine a couple of weeks away and you lose your board first day. Tragedy !!!!!

I will say tho. Normal cruising about on flat water doesnt seem to pose much of a danger BUT I can see how cocking up a high jump could cause problems. Not so much a clout but an extra bit of something to go round, thro or tangle with if you bail or land badly.

The Geoff says that i have re launched of the water more in one afternoon than he has in the past 6 years, paints a picture for you, so yeah in deep water, it will be one less thing to think about, as far as a helmet, i wear one all the time, bald head and sun makes for an interesting pattern, Darth Moll im told

On a sort of similar subject. I've just changed my footpads and its actually quite rare that my feet come out of the straps now even after a bad wipeout. I notice the pads compress and then expand thus keeping my feet in quite tight pressure against the straps. Thats in bare feet, It was even more noticeable when I was wearing boots earlier in the year.

It might be worth checking the pads or at least discussing the merits of better pads and straps on another thread.

Hello ;)

Yeah, I'm no leash fan. I've never used one and I'm still using the same board (straps, not bindings) that I've used from day one about a decade ago. I've had to body drag in a few times and wait for the board to get washed in, but that was usually when the wind was borderline at the low end and I was having trouble dragging upwind. In your normal shore break you don't even need to get upwind, just stay more upwind than the board is.

Zephyrus' situation is interesting - bit of a newbie, but getting there quickly. (Like he said, he relaunched a 14.5m Ion III about 10 times in one session a few weeks back, he kept crashing it because the wind was marginal anyway, frankly I'm impressed he managed it so regularly, especially for a big, heavy, wet kite in low wind - low enough that the only way to relaunch was directly downwind, none of your sliding to the edge stuff.)

A leash will certainly make things easier for him, the only question I have is with the safety aspect. He's far less likely to be seriously powered up and/or messing about in big waves, so the chances of getting big forces involved are smaller, but at the same time he's also more likely to lose control of the kite and have it start looping when he's not ready for it. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Either way, he's a helmet type and I'm generally there to either fetch his board for him or drag his broken, bleeding body from the water and feed it to his (rather lovely) dogs. He's a grownup, he's done his risk assessment, and he's bigger than me.

Edited by The Geoff

Have been pondering this for a while, was out the other day with The Geoff, now that i am up and running, managed to get into deep water, dropped the kite and had to body drag to shore,the board was away. Hand signals to The Geoff and we were re united. Bottom line is one just ordered from e bay. Happy days.

JUST DONT TELL HIM

You know you're a proper kitesurfer when you surf over to somebody with their board the first time - I kind of enjoy doing it, it's like having a big warm bath in karma - all part of the looking-after-each-other ethos that's so important in a sport like this. :)

Those guys are riding in overhead plus surf so leash use is an understandable evil but I bet my left testicle that none of them use a leash on a twin tip in normal freeride Mick conditions...

In 95% of the conditions people ride in there is no valid reason to use a leash, it's just additional risk for no extra gain..

• 2 weeks later...