Straps or no straps

crash addict

Do I fit straps on my kite surfboard or persevere with strapless riding?

I find it difficult to get on the board, but when up and riding I'm ok. I cannot gybe yet so have to stop and turn the board or ride toe side.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also I wax my board at the moment, would it be better to fit pads?

If its relatively light wind stay strapless. To start put your front foot on the middle of the board & keep a little bit of heel pressure. Stick your back foot on in front of the tail pad & waterstart as normal. The back foot will stay in front of the back pad for riding upwind. This trims the board flat & makes it fast & efficient. Stand on the tail to carve turns :)

Gybes do take a bit of practice... the bigger your board the easier they will be. My tip would be to start off carving your turn with your preferred foot forwards & then swap feet. This will mean you swap feet before the carve one way & after the other. Keep the kite a bit higher than normal ie 11 or 1 o'clock depending on direction & bear off the wind slightly so you're not edging hard. This will allow you to lift your back foot up & step forwards without unsettling the board. Step your other foot back towards the tail & dip the kite to keep your planing speed.

Its worth spending the time & getting this sorted so you can take proper advantage of your directional!

Dan

I'm a bit of a newbie to kitesurfing though i have been landboarding and kite flying for a few years.

From my perspective I don't really see the point of riding without straps. I mean if you are trying to be minimalist plenty of people manage to surf waves without kites too...

Having a kite lets you jump and not having straps makes jumping a lot harder so why bother ditching the straps? its counter productive.

I'm a bit of a newbie to kitesurfing though i have been landboarding and kite flying for a few years.

From my perspective I don't really see the point of riding without straps. I mean if you are trying to be minimalist plenty of people manage to surf waves without kites too...

Having a kite lets you jump and not having straps makes jumping a lot harder so why bother ditching the straps? its counter productive.

Strapless doesn't just add difficulty for the sake of it. It's a completely different experience without straps, I feel a lot more relaxed and just cruising around freeriding is a lot more fun, for me at least. I don't see how I could have fun on a strapped surfboard unless I was charging big waves in big winds (after a few years of riding I got bored of doing jumps and freestyle on a twintip, unless it was mirror flat or 30knts+), whereas strapless one can mess about doing tricks or slashing wind chop and still be learning and having fun.

It's also a lot easier than surfing without a kite....

Anyway, where are you in the outer hebrides? There are some absolutely cracking wave spots up there!

I'm a bit of a newbie to kitesurfing though i have been landboarding and kite flying for a few years. From my perspective I don't really see the point of riding without straps.

When you ride a surfboard (even with straps) you don't just put your feet on it & leave them in one place. The right place for your feet changes all the time depending on what you're trying to do & what the water's doing. Trimming the board properly is pretty important to making it work well with a kite, especially in lighter wind.

The back foot is the one you end up moving about the most (straps or not). It goes forward in front of the back pad (out of the strap) to flatten the board out when you're riding upwind, when you want to carve hard, stick it over the fins (or in the back strap) on the tail pad & go for it!

Gybing with straps will involve taking your feet out of the straps & putting them back in again the other way round, which is just another thing to go wrong when you're learning. Best thing for gybing practise is about 14 knots, flat water, a wide board & a slowish setting on your kite, step on the mid-line of your board & don't worry when you fall ;)

Messing about on skimboards for a few sessions will make the surfboard feel huge & easy by comparison...

Dan

Personally I use pads only as I can't be arsed to wax all the time And it keeps my board nice and tidy and clean, but wax works so i would say up to you not much difference really oh and I will add my pad has a raised moulding on the rear of the board and it helps me locate my foot over the rear fins quickly and easily but you soon get used to where to go with your foot.

Do what feels comfortable and suits the conditions you ride in..not what fashion dictates.

Howling gusty winds and a huge swell is not ideal for strapless.

Adjust to the conditions at least to begin with till you know which you prefer!

We see a few here soldiering on with strapless in conditions even the pro's would be reaching for their straps.

I'm not suggesting anyone practice gybes in rough conditions where straps would be necessary. Not that I'm anti straps - they make many aspects of riding a surfboard easier, but do I watch riders who stick their feet in the straps & never move them, towing the tail of their board through the water & wonder why they don't go on a surfboard as well as they do on a twin tip.

Oh, and the big one I keep telling people when they buy their first surfboard....leave the TT at home.

Get at least half a dozen sessions under your belt and it's beginning to feel natural before you get back on the tt.

It's too easy to just switch back to the tt when you have taken both down onto the beach.

Anyway, where are you in the outer hebrides? There are some absolutely cracking wave spots up there!

I mostly kite in Lewis and Harris and yeah I'm spoiled for choice of places to ride really. I can see the potential for wave riding at Sheilebost, Scarasta, Gress and Ardroil but since I only made the move on to the water at the end of last summer, surf is not really my friend yet!

Out in 20kts and waist to chest high surf yesterday and it was like kiting into a wall when i got it wrong or if i got it vaguely right i would just get launched off the back and have no chance of landing it. Did a bit better riding them back in but found i lost any ability to stay upwind trying to deal with waves all the time. Think I will stick to flatter water until i have the basics nailed.

Its gonna be a while before I get bored enough to think "hmm maybe i'll try riding strapless" :)