How much more power in a 12m?

B-Roc1599968665

I can fly my 10m down to about 10mph (8 if the winds are solid and the sand well packed). Today the winds were blowing 4-6 so I broke out my 6m Bego. I've flown that kite 2x in the past 2 years and the more I fly depowers the less I like fixed bridles. But that kite is a low wind machine.

I weigh 145#s. I'm considering replacing it with a 12m depower foil but I'm wondering if that will allow me to fly any lower then my 10 or if the extra weight of the sail will limit my range to about the same as the 10. Any thoughts for those of you who may have 10 and 12m depowers - too close in size, too much weight for the low winds?

I know FS rules in the low end but I've owned one and really never connected with it at all.

doesnt neccesarraly mean you'll be able to fly the 12 in lower winds than the ten imo , as you suggest the sail will weigh more so will need to worked which would be easier to do on the smaller sail .... personally i prefer a bigger kite full stop so i'd opt for the 12 over the 10 (or in my case the 19 over the 15) , it'll move slower and turn slower but give you more float and hangtime ...... depends what your style is m8

I went from a 10m Outlaw to a set of 12 - 8 Outlaw once, I know they are totally different from the eskimo but: the 12 didn't gave me more low-end only more hangtime and a worse high-end (but thats why I bought an 8 with it).

I suggest, master you're bego :-)

the 12 didn't gave me more low-end only more hangtime and a worse high-end (but thats why I bought an 8 with it).

I suggest, master you're bego :-)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking would be the recommendation.

Sad thing is I was much more comfortable on FBs 3 years ago then I am today. No problems flying them, I just don't feel as safe or comfortable on FBs as I do on my Gins. I was hoping a bigger (non Flysurfer) depower would offer me the comfort I'm used to with the low end performance of a smaller, quicker FB.

If you only want low end power to sit under your 10 then you might consider a slightly older kite such as a 12 or 14m Frenzy. I had a 12m 04 Frenzy which was a great low wind kite, as is a 14m Frenzy (Mine was 06 and not easy to fly but very rewarding). Would get me cruising at 7mph.

But, because they are older they have much less depower. I'd be overpowered by both in 14mph. Where as a modern 12 or 14 can be taken to 20ish.

But the older Frenzy's were very grunty.

I'm feeling you (sounds scary when I read it back :S), went from a 10.5 blade III to a speed3 19 'cause practising tricks on the 19 was way more easy then on the big blade, and money flow at the time was good haha. They have basicly the same low-end, the big depower is simply easier. But thats in comparison with a 19 speed3, I think a 12m foil will never come close to the fun in low-winds you can have on a big Fixed-Bridle. So if you're not interested in a '15m and up' depower kite (there are some options besides flysurfer, 15m Matrixx / 15m manta) I wouldn't put you're Bego away untill you fully tested a 12m foil and think thats a good replacement.

Cheers :)